[How to] Intel GMA 900 done right: full QE/CI for leopard

mercurysquad

117 posts in this topic

sorry for the PM, no, i took the texts directly off the install disc (kalyway). i had tried leopard graphics update like, a few months ago and it messed everything up, blue screen, had to reinstall all together so i can't do that again. I will try reloading kexts off the install disc, hopefully that'll work.

sorry for the PM, no, i took the texts directly off the install disc (kalyway). i had tried leopard graphics update like, a few months ago and it messed everything up, blue screen, had to reinstall all together so i can't do that again. I will try reloading kexts off the install disc, hopefully that'll work.

use THESE stock kexts from 10.5.6.. not from kaly....

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1002095

then install the two kexts from the first post!!

well, that worked on fixing the menus, but now i'm back to no QE support as if i didn't try this whole thing... i'm on 10.5.3 if that would affect the kexts you told me to download...

i though tyou were on 10.5.6 or at least 10.5.5.. sorry... well I dunno so.... try yo update or install 10.5.5 iDeneb!!

Strange thing i noticed today - although everything seems to work fine after applying the mercurysquad fix in the system info my Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family ( 128 MB ) appears with only 64 MB VRAM

as the people on this topic share some similar hardware a little OT - is there a way to force the system to use only external monitor

mirror and extended desktop works perfectly but there's no option to shut down the laptop screen

iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 on pavilion dv4000

pentium M 1.8Ghz MMX SSE SSE2

chipset Mobile Intel Alviso-G i915GM

1GB RAM

Strange thing i noticed today - although everything seems to work fine after applying the mercurysquad fix in the system info my Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family ( 128 MB ) appears with only 64 MB VRAM

as the people on this topic share some similar hardware a little OT - is there a way to force the system to use only external monitor

mirror and extended desktop works perfectly but there's no option to shut down the laptop screen

iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 on pavilion dv4000

pentium M 1.8Ghz MMX SSE SSE2

chipset Mobile Intel Alviso-G i915GM

1GB RAM

I am interested in this too.. I am just reducing the ligh of the laptop LCD right now..

one thing: how could you managed the mirror to work? here it does not work, I have some resolution problems.

The two LCD use different resolutions (1024x768 the laptop LCD, 1280x1024 the external LCD) and if I select the mirror option the external LCD use only a part of the screen in the middle, around it I have a black area. The only way to get rid of this black area is to set the external LCD to 1024x768 as well, but that is not good at all for a 19" display.. ;)

no problem with the extended desktop, I can change resolution on both the screens without any problem.

thanxs bye!

one thing: how could you managed the mirror to work? here it does not work, I have some resolution problems.

The two LCD use different resolutions (1024x768 the laptop LCD, 1280x1024 the external LCD) and if I select the mirror option the external LCD use only a part of the screen in the middle, around it I have a black area. The only way to get rid of this black area is to set the external LCD to 1024x768 as well, but that is not good at all for a 19" display.. :)

no problem with the extended desktop, I can change resolution on both the screens without any problem.

I guess it's meant to be that way when there are two different screen sizes

it's the biggest shared ( or closest when two different proportions ) hardware supported res that is mirrored

solved!

I have to say that I struggled to get this to work. I did this on my toshiba m55-s3293 (old, put proved to have the perfect hardware for a hackintosh)

Step 1: first I installed Ideneb 1.3 and selected no graphics drivers from the customize menu during the installation.

edit: you need to also install the application pacifist from the useful application list.

the install would go fine until I reboot and I am faced with the notorious light blue screen. no matter what I did (-x, -f, -v, Graphics Mode, etc...) I always end up with that blue screen.

Step 2: the only thing that enabled me to get to the system was to boot from the iDeneb CD again and hit f8 during the startup of the CD. Then I typed rd=disk0s2 -x

this command instructs the iDeneb CD to ignore booting from the CD and boot from the first hard Drive (disk0) and the Second partiton (s2) which is where I installed the osx iDeneb in step 1

This got me to boot the system in safe mode without the blue screen blocking the way.

Step 3: I used another machine to download the "Leopard Graphics Update for 10.5.2" from apple's website and then I downloaded the two kexts attached to this post. I then used a flash disk to transfer them to the machine where I installed iDeneb.

Step 4: install the Leopard Graphics Update. This didn't work for iDeneb because it's 10.5.5. The way to do it is to open the dmg file using the application Pacifist. you will find folder hierarchy simillar to that in the System.

in the package, go to System>Library>extensions and install all kexts that start with AppleIntelxxxxxxxx by dragging them to the application icon called Kext Helper b7 which is located in the iDeneb Folder in Applications.

when Kext Helper tells you that the install is fine, reboot the system as in Step 2

Step 5: once you are back in, install the two Kexts you downloaded from this post using Kext helper b7.

Step 6: when Kext helper tells you everything was installed fine, Cross your fingers and reboot normally without using the CD.

Your system should not hang at the blue screen anymore and you should have full qe/ci with hardware acceleration.

I hope this helps someone someday.

I've got a feature request (I know, I'm not paying, but it would be useful, if feasible): allow the enabler kext to load from /Extra/Extensions. Currently, it doesn't work when loaded from there (even when adding the necessary OSBundleRequired section in Info.plist). This would be useful when trying to boot a retail install DVD. Currently there isn't a way to boot the retail DVD with a GMA900 chipset because the enabler doesn't work correctly when loaded from /Extra/Extensions (and there's no way to force the legacy VESA driver to be used, to the best of my knowledge), and thus receive a blue screen.

Sadly I'm still not getting past the blue screen then black screen. :-(

I have dragged across the KEXTs (using MacDrive from within XP) from here - looks like my GMA 915 doesn't like it! My full specs in my sig.

Any help?

toby

probs with boot-132.

when i try to use these kext's on my samsung x20 with 915GM to boot a retail install dvd with boot-132 i dont get past the light blue screen.

also tried with external monitor connected .. but that didnt help.

when i use a boot-132 with no intel gma kexts i get the exact same behaviour.

the gma kexts from iAtkos work for me .. but thats not nice.

is there a "done right" method for booting retail install ?

Sadly I'm still not getting past the blue screen then black screen. :-(

I have dragged across the KEXTs (using MacDrive from within XP) from here - looks like my GMA 915 doesn't like it! My full specs in my sig.

Any help?

toby

I also did like you, but still get the Blue Screen. If I start with "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" I also get the blue screen, but I can hear sound (I installed iATKOS 5i and I'm still trying to start it up for the first time).

Is ther any other way to install the kexts instead of just dragging the folders to /System/Lybrary/Extension/ folder?

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

I also did like you, but still get the Blue Screen. If I start with "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" I also get the blue screen, but I can hear sound (I installed iATKOS 5i and I'm still trying to start it up for the first time).

Is ther any other way to install the kexts instead of just dragging the folders to /System/Lybrary/Extension/ folder?

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Just made some more searches and found out the solution for the Graphics problem. Just go to the following link and that's it: http://phill84.org/tag/gma-915/

Now, I have another problem.. doesn't recognize keyboard or mouse.

Blue screen appears because you are using stock framebuffer kext. Make sure you use the one attached in this thread. Also make sure you are not using any paperclip hacks..

Those wishing to load this from /Extra, you need to add the framebuffer kext to /Extra along with its dependencies (3 kexts). Then it will work. I use it this way.

You didn't need the paperclip trick if you use the file attached. It's not my work though is from another post in this forum.

Tested on Dell Inspiron 2200 (my old lappy) Using stock 10.5.5 with Voodoo Kernel

I'm afraid the framebuffer kext doesn't work for me.. It's a fujitsu t4215. However, the two kexts in this post got my display working, only when an external monitor is connected. Which is a lot farther than I was before =)

It works! But since I'm using speedstep, I don't know if it hinders the performance of videos and audio. With the other method (the not done right method), the videos seemed to be okay. Or it could be something else.

Which is one requires more resources? This method or andy4life, h2a's, ccc's etc. method?

Hey, im trying to get osx running on dell d430 and i think this is what im missing. What happens is after the install right after the white loading screens the display just "dies", it blacks out and i can't go over the initial setup.

It would seem to me that the configure is there because the machine keeps working. I did tried an external monitor configure and nothing. Can't find anything specific on this d430 model, so im asking where i think its relevant.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Guys,

I installed IDeneb 1.3 (10.5.5) on my m55-s3293 laptop with the following specs:

http://www.clearanceclub.com/depot/quelle_...om.cgi?sku=4935

the laptop has an intel 900 display, but after I installed the kexts you provided, I don't get support for Quartz Extreme nor Core Image. I am able to change resolutions though so I don't know what I did wrong.

attached is a screenshot of system profiler of the Graphics driver as well as another screenshot of the extentions folders showing the kext files I have installed.

Thanks in advance guys!

(By the way, it took me a while to get to this point, so if anyone needs help installing iDeneb 1.3 on a similar system, let me know. I will be happy to help)

• 1 month later...

I am trying to use the 132 Booth method to install retail DVD on a T43. I have added the ElliottAppleIntelGMA950LegacyEnabler.kext to my Extra/Extension folder on the initrd.img, I did not add the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext as it seems to be the same version I have on the CD. All I see after boot up of the DVD is a blue screen. I have tried the pin method same blue screen, the external monitor with the resolution set to 1024X768 but the monitor complains that the resolution is set to high, and images are extremly fuzzy. You mention in your post I have to load 3 dependencies of AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext what would those be.

I have the following files in my Extra/Extensions folder:

AppleAC97Audio.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleGenericPCATA.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

AppleNForceATA.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

Disabler.kext

dsmos.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

ElliottAppleIntelGMA950LegacyEnabler.kext

Blue screen appears because you are using stock framebuffer kext. Make sure you use the one attached in this thread. Also make sure you are not using any paperclip hacks..

Those wishing to load this from /Extra, you need to add the framebuffer kext to /Extra along with its dependencies (3 kexts). Then it will work. I use it this way.

Hey Guys,

I installed IDeneb 1.3 (10.5.5) on my m55-s3293 laptop with the following specs:

http://www.clearanceclub.com/depot/quelle_...om.cgi?sku=4935

the laptop has an intel 900 display, but after I installed the kexts you provided, I don't get support for Quartz Extreme nor Core Image. I am able to change resolutions though so I don't know what I did wrong.

attached is a screenshot of system profiler of the Graphics driver as well as another screenshot of the extentions folders showing the kext files I have installed.

Thanks in advance guys!

(By the way, it took me a while to get to this point, so if anyone needs help installing iDeneb 1.3 on a similar system, let me know. I will be happy to help)

hello my name is david and I also have a m55 I ask help on the installation of ideneb drivers and I am somewhat confused and would appreciate your help

What is it? This is an enabler kext which gives your Intel GMA900 (i915) graphic card hardware acceleration (QE/CI) support under Leopard. This is not a patched or modified kext. It is supposed to be used in addition to the GMA950 kexts that come with leopard.

Details: There are a lot of patched kexts floating around for GMA900 support in Leopard. dfe aka David Elliott has made a great enabler kext which allows GMA900 cards to use stock GMA950 kexts. This means NO patching or hacking is required and you can keep using Apple software updates and take advantage of updated graphic kexts.

How to use -

Install these two kexts. Reboot. That's all.

This works for all GMA900 device IDs (0x2582, 0x2592, 0x2792)

Notes

• You must have all stock kexts. If you are using patched kexts currently, please revert all AppleIntelGMA* to the ones that came with your version of Leopard.
  • The framebuffer is old. Some people may be able to use stock framebuffer too, but most often you will need this older framebuffer kext.
  • Resolution changing and mouse artifacts are related to framebuffer. So if you are trying to fix those, the framebuffer kext is what you want to experiment with first, followed by original GMA950 kexts.
  • Please no OpenGL.framework hacking either. Everything should be original Leopard version.

I have not made these kexts, the work is dfe's, I am only bringing it to the OSx86 community and therefore cannot offer any support except maybe adding any new device IDs

good!,it works on  my HP NC4200.

• 1 month later...

w00t! it works! I already had this on 10.5.6, but when i updated it corrupted the Legacy kext and removed my GMA 900 kext, I only had to instal the Legacy Kext for it to work

Intel GMA 900:

Chipset Model: GMA 900

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2582

Revision ID: 0x0004

Displays:

Display Connector:

FPD1760:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

any idea on how to get Rotation working? thanks!

• 1 month later...