[How to] Intel GMA 900 done right: full QE/CI for leopard

mercurysquad

117 posts in this topic

What is it? This is an enabler kext which gives your Intel GMA900 (i915) graphic card hardware acceleration (QE/CI) support under Leopard. This is not a patched or modified kext. It is supposed to be used in addition to the GMA950 kexts that come with leopard.

Details: There are a lot of patched kexts floating around for GMA900 support in Leopard. dfe aka David Elliott has made a great enabler kext which allows GMA900 cards to use stock GMA950 kexts. This means NO patching or hacking is required and you can keep using Apple software updates and take advantage of updated graphic kexts.

How to use -

Install these two kexts. Reboot. That's all.

This works for all GMA900 device IDs (0x2582, 0x2592, 0x2792)

Notes

• You must have all stock kexts. If you are using patched kexts currently, please revert all AppleIntelGMA* to the ones that came with your version of Leopard.
  • The framebuffer is old. Some people may be able to use stock framebuffer too, but most often you will need this older framebuffer kext.
  • Resolution changing and mouse artifacts are related to framebuffer. So if you are trying to fix those, the framebuffer kext is what you want to experiment with first, followed by original GMA950 kexts.
  • Please no OpenGL.framework hacking either. Everything should be original Leopard version.

I have not made these kexts, the work is dfe's, I am only bringing it to the OSx86 community and therefore cannot offer any support except maybe adding any new device IDs

Thanks Mercury, this works perfect. I had to extract the Leopard Graphics update and your kexts worked.

Hey Guys,

I installed IDeneb 1.3 (10.5.5) on my m55-s3293 laptop with the following specs:

http://www.clearanceclub.com/depot/quelle_...om.cgi?sku=4935

the laptop has an intel 900 display, but after I installed the kexts you provided, I don't get support for Quartz Extreme nor Core Image. I am able to change resolutions though so I don't know what I did wrong.

attached is a screenshot of system profiler of the Graphics driver as well as another screenshot of the extentions folders showing the kext files I have installed.

Thanks in advance guys!

(By the way, it took me a while to get to this point, so if anyone needs help installing iDeneb 1.3 on a similar system, let me know. I will be happy to help)

gma900_no_qe.tiff

extentions_gma.tiff

You didn't need the paperclip trick if you use the file attached. It's not my work though is from another post in this forum.

Tested on Dell Inspiron 2200 (my old lappy) Using stock 10.5.5 with Voodoo Kernel

Man, we have been waiting MONTHS and some even YEARS for this...

"yeah 900 GMA...not going to happen, get a better graphics card" and then you come and conjure up this piece of work.

Awesome job. Gonna try it out after ccc, andy4life, h2a's method. I wonder if it comes with no paperclip/external monitor support.

Again, nice job!

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.zip

You didn't need the paperclip trick if you use the file attached. It's not my work though is from another post in this forum.

Tested on Dell Inspiron 2200 (my old lappy) Using stock 10.5.5 with Voodoo Kernel

tivimac could you let me know what method you used to install leopard on your 1525 please?

I have the same model except with Dell 1395 wireless. I have tried a Kalyway install updated to 10.5.5 but always have problems with shutdown, cpu fan always on etc.

great , great , simply great fix , thx mercurysquad

no paperclip needed to boot , detect displays works fine and QE is supported in iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5

will test how video and apps behave , for now i see only some artefacts in the search field of itunes , hope

it's not the case with cs4

thx again

tivimac could you let me know what method you used to install leopard on your 1525 please?

I have the same model except with Dell 1395 wireless. I have tried a Kalyway install updated to 10.5.5 but always have problems with shutdown, cpu fan always on etc.

On my Inspiron 1525, I use a Retail DVD (10.5.4) + Boot 132 .... The only problem that I have is a SHUTDOWN when I on BATTERY... always give me KP ...

It works! But since I'm using speedstep, I don't know if it hinders the performance of videos and audio. With the other method (the not done right method), the videos seemed to be okay. Or it could be something else.

Which is one requires more resources? This method or andy4life, h2a's, ccc's etc. method?

hi down.. can you tell me which speedstep kext you are using on your install?

I get the speedstep working with the kext by mercurysquad, but it works only when I am connected to the power.. not on battery....

bye!

Hello

I ve installed the packages and it didnt work. Furthermore, i reverted back to my old kexts, where I had QE+CI working, and, for some reason, I dont have them working anymore :wacko:. I just wanted to get the rid of the annoying paperclip...

Could anyone please post their AppleIntelGMA950.kext and GA plugin, VADriver and GLDriver bundles from 10.5.2????

Thank you! If anyone has these kexts from newer versions, would it be also possible to use them on my system?????? I just dont want to reinstall the whole system to get the good-old kexts :censored2:

Thanks

The framebuffer kext I attached in the original post also doesn't require any paperclip.

The framebuffer kext I attached in the original post also doesn't require any paperclip.

Hello Sir, my respect, I test the AIF in the first post and didn't work on my particular test laptop (i2200) but you know how crappy and picky are the dells.

Anyway the AIF that I post is not my work either. but is working on my rig. Thanks. This old lappy (i2200) is working at 100% (only the modem miss :D ) Using your kernel and speedstep kext.

Hey...

I get the foll. error:

localhost kernel[0]: Intel915LegacyEnabler: PCI provider is not vendor 8086 device 2582. Bailing.

I'm using all stock kernels except AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext which is from the 1st post ... but I get NO QE

cheers

k... figured it...

just deleted Intel915LegacyEnabler.kext... mercurysquad.... i guess tht was the old dfe kext probly...

cheers

works great! but the apple button on the menuy bar is a weird like, negative looking image (transparancy works), and all menus don't work, they are just overlapping images of whats behind them. i tried to old integrated framebuffer same deal. on kalyway 10.5.3, any help would be great thanks!

any help?? here's what happens::

(when translucent menu bar is turned off in sys. preferences, the apple logo appears normal, not like it does in the picture, however, menus are still messed up...)

asdasmr9.jpg

You still have patched kexts. You need ALL stock kexts before trying this. Install Leopard Graphics Update first.

And guys PLEASE DONT PM ME regarding this, I cannot provide individual help......