Using Sonix driver with Microsoft Lifecam VX-6000 and others

frantisheq

89 posts in this topic

Crazy, but now it works. Running now Skype 5 beta (this interface is ugly big and not user friendly at all compared to the 2.x version) i have found out what it caused the camera not to work properly:

My mistake was first to open WebCam Monitor and then Skype so only the Mic of the Cam was seen by Skype. Opening at first Skype and then WebCam Monitor both appear in Skype preferences. I don't know why but a friend of mine running also iATKOS S3v2 with Skype 5 was not able to see me but another friend on Win7 with Skype 5 beeing in a conference talk he saw me. After reboot in Win7 the 1st friend could see me as well normally. So this is the happy end of my story. Thanks again very much to all of you. :(

how did you get to know which product ID to change ? I posted previously this question. I have the VX-5000, I know my product ID in decimal, but I don't where it should go in the very long .plist, which product ID needs to be replaced.

Did you finally put your .component file in the User library ? or the root one ?

Thanks

Problem solved for VX-5000.

After installing the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] USB rollback, no extra driver needed. Webcam worked out of the box in SL 10.6.5, video + audio, on Skype + Photo Booth. I didn't try other software.

• 4 months later...
Finally got my VX-6000 working with Skype, iChat (using iUSBCam) and QuickTime. All you need to do is download "SN9C202 (Phase out)" driver from Sonix , install it and edit /Library/QuickTime/Sonix SN9C201 WebCam.component/Contents/Info.plist . There are some dots but better than nothing. Take a look at the pic.

post-96681-1223244188_thumb.jpg

post-96681-1223244198_thumb.jpg

A little HOWTO.

I have a lifecam Show. Any clue how to get it to work. The mic on it works but no video.

• 3 months later...

Hello Everyone! :D

I have just installed my VX 6000 WebCam. I installed the latest Sonix driver and modify the info.plist -- > idProduct:244 and idVendor:1118.

Photo Booth doesn`t recognize the camera, but i test it with Skype and it works.

The problem is with the microphone, it`s a noise in the background (when i speak with someone, it doesn`t hear me so good because of the noise) :D .

Is anyone have the same problem?

BTW: I am using SL 10.6.8 and Sonix SN9C201 WebCam Driver OSX 1.03

Cheers!

For all VX-1000 Users!!

This worked for me. Am running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

1. Download attachment.

Sonix_SN9C102p_WebCam.component.zip

2. Download and install latest version of Sonix SN9C105 driver from website. Click here to go to download page. Dont start up the software after installation.

3. Restore/Replace in Library/Quicktime/ which is in your root partition at root level and NOT the "users" folder as stated by someone else in this thread. Somehow there was no quicktime folder in the users location for me so putting it in the system location worked.

4. Open the WebCam Monitor software by clicking the alias created on your desktop or start up using the applications folder.

5. Wait for a bit for the Webcam Monitor to find your cam or after the software opens jus minimize it by clicking the titlebar and open using the dock after about 5-7secs. This works for me.

6. Hopefully you should see your webcam's name in the software now.. If you do, double click the name and change settings as desired. You should also see your image in the preview screen.

7. Audio should work straight away. Configure your USB Webcam as the Mic in your Sound settings in System Preferences and then do the same for whatever application you use it with. You should see the input signal bar move when you talk.

So that takes care of it. It should work with 3rd party software like skype but no apple software which am okay with as I primarily use skype for video calls.

Some tips if the name still not shows up in the software ---->

1. Change USB ports for your cam

2. Make sure its not connected to a Super Speed Bus or High Speed Bus by checking under USB in System Profiler.

3. Reboot OS.

Please lemme know how this works out for you guys..

Heres a screenshot of the webcam running on my system:

http://cl.ly/3m2R2F2d3B1o1s0l2V3g

Credits: InsanelyMac, robrecord

post-837047-1312936411_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Has anyone had any success with the Sonix driver on 10.7 / Lion ?

On Lion, my Microsoft cam (that fully works on an Snow Leopard 10.6.8 machine using Sonix) sometimes works, most of the time not, and when it works I get odd colour errors and slow response.

If not a complete solution, any ideas on where look towards a solution also greatly appreciated.. Would love to keep Sonix alive in Lion, it's such a versatile driver.

Thanks!

Thanks, that sounds good, but.. I'm using a VX-1000, and that doesn't work quite as well.. or yet anyway.

Have you changed anything to the Sonix driver when going from 10.6 to 10.7?

I've used the Sonix many times in the past years, and have been trying for a while now, with both versions 1.02.0001 and 1.01.0004 of the SN9C102p driver (which works in OSX 10.5 and 10.6) but can't find a clue how to get it going in 10.7.

The image works sometimes, and when it works it gives a psychedelically distorted green red nightvision-like image. I've tried exactly the same driver and config on both Macs; works on 10.6 but not on 10.7.

Do you have any specific (Quicktime?) additions / settings to your OS?

Would really really like to get this to work - any ideas?

Hmm yes I've done the same.

Except the difference is that your VX-6000 uses the SN9C202 chip, and my VX-1000 uses the SN9C105R chip, so I have to use the SN9C105 driver.

Have tried the SN9C202 driver on 10.6 and 10.7, but that doesn't do anything for the VX-1000.

So it seems the VX-6000 works for 10.7, but the VX-1000 doesn't.

Or am I missing something?

• 11 months later...

Hello, guys!

I've just built my first Hackintosh with Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.1 and tried all the methods described above.

Only top on this page worked for my Microsoft LifeCam VX-1000.

I've got video in last Skype, but no sound capture from web cam (using microphone through integrated ALC892).

And that picture is far from ideal on the other side and periodically turns into blocks.

So I decided to sell it to other PC Windows user and buy an UVC cam.

• 5 years later...

Still working on El Capitan!

Sorry for the necroreply... but this is an awesome finding even years later!

My VX-1000 works with Webcam Monitor.app only. Quicktime Player and other apps (Firefox, VLC, etc) can't find it.

On 09/08/2011 at 9:41 PM, sid. said:

For all VX-1000 Users!!

This worked for me. Am running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

1. Download attachment.

Sonix_SN9C102p_WebCam.component.zip

2. Download and install latest version of Sonix SN9C105 driver from website. Click here to go to download page. Dont start up the software after installation.

3. Restore/Replace in Library/Quicktime/ which is in your root partition at root level and NOT the "users" folder as stated by someone else in this thread. Somehow there was no quicktime folder in the users location for me so putting it in the system location worked.

4. Open the WebCam Monitor software by clicking the alias created on your desktop or start up using the applications folder.

5. Wait for a bit for the Webcam Monitor to find your cam or after the software opens jus minimize it by clicking the titlebar and open using the dock after about 5-7secs. This works for me.

6. Hopefully you should see your webcam's name in the software now.. If you do, double click the name and change settings as desired. You should also see your image in the preview screen.

7. Audio should work straight away. Configure your USB Webcam as the Mic in your Sound settings in System Preferences and then do the same for whatever application you use it with. You should see the input signal bar move when you talk.

So that takes care of it. It should work with 3rd party software like skype but no apple software which am okay with as I primarily use skype for video calls.

Some tips if the name still not shows up in the software ---->

1. Change USB ports for your cam

2. Make sure its not connected to a Super Speed Bus or High Speed Bus by checking under USB in System Profiler.

3. Reboot OS.

Please lemme know how this works out for you guys..

Heres a screenshot of the webcam running on my system:

http://cl.ly/3m2R2F2d3B1o1s0l2V3g

Credits: InsanelyMac, robrecord

post-837047-1312936411_thumb.png

photo_2018-04-21_15-34-40.jpg