Private alpha test of Voodoo 9.5 Kernel

mercurysquad

214 posts in this topic

So can the appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext work on this alpha9 kernel for sse2?

What applesmbios would you recommend that best runs with the alpha9 kernel? vanila? applesmbios27/28?

Note this: While playing around with applesmbios kexts if your appleacpiplatform.kext is 1.2.1, then your customized applesmbios and applesmbiosefi kexts won't display the info correctly in system profiler;

Nobody has updated their applesmbios & applesmbiosefi kexts to work with appleacpiplatform.kext 1.2.1

So can the appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext work on this alpha9 kernel for sse2?

No, it requires HPET which works on very few systems currently (this kernel supports HPET on apple-like hardware, and disables hpet on other motherboards).

Please use either superhai GenericIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext or my IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext (link in sig) for power management of your intel cpu. AMD cool'n'quiet support will be added to my speedstep.kext after the final kernel is released.

OK I need AMD Athlon/Sempron users to help me perfect the clock/timer code --

Please download this kext, put it anywhere (no need to put in Extensions folder), set its permission and load it:

sudo chown -R root:wheel cpuid.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 cpuid.kext
sudo kextload cpuid.kext

Then, type:

sudo dmesg | grep CPUID

and paste the MSR value (only!) here. I don't need all the other numbers, just the value after CPUID MSR. Also please post your FSB frequency and CPU frequency, and tell us whether kernel alpha 9 works fine on your system (ie. no audio stuttering etc.).

Then you can unload the kext by typing sudo kextunload cpuid.kext.

Non-AMD users or phenom users please do not attempt to load the kext, it will probably freeze your computer.

This is my CPUID:

CPUID: MSR : 0x40a0a0a

It's an Athlon 64 3000+ set to 1980Mhz (1800Mhz Original)

Motherboard Asus A8NSLI

The last kernel works fine, but yesterday I was watching a movie and the sound stopped, so I exit from fullscreen and it came back, don't know if this is a kernel issue.

This is my CPUID:

CPUID: MSR : 0x40a0a0a

It's an Athlon 64 3000+ set to 1980Mhz (1800Mhz Original)

Motherboard Asus A8NSLI

The last kernel works fine, but yesterday I was watching a movie and the sound stopped, so I exit from fullscreen and it came back, don't know if this is a kernel issue.

Can you please confirm your FSB is 220 MHz?

This is mine

CPUID: MSR : 0xc0c0c

Athlon64 3000+ (socket754 sse2),CPU frequency=2GHz,FSB=200MHz

Alpha 9 is working

but if I use the busratio=10 boot flag ,the screen freeze randomly

if not ,movies slowly played by Quicktime

Upcoming alpha 10 should fix this. Thanks for the msr reading.

Re: SMBIOS

A comparison XNU and SMBIOS kext using the output from:- sysctl machdep.cpu

From left to right:

- No AppleSMBIOS

- Vanilla AppleSMBIOS

- Vanilla AppleSMBIOS + SMBIOSResolver.kext (www.superhai.com)

- Vanilla AppleSMBIOS + AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext (Chun-Nan)

- Vanilla AppleSMBIOS 28 patched with macnub's AppleSMBios 27 r6 diff

The top row are all using the Voodoo Alpha 9 version of the 9.5 kernel

The bottom row are all using the ToH patched version of the 9.5 kernel

All test performed on a AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor

Actual bus frequency is 200000000 Hz

Actual CPU frequency is 2200000000 Hz

Actual L1 cache: 64 + 64 KB (data + instructions) per core

Actual L2 cache: 512 KB per core, fullspeed

Actual L3 cache: 2 MB shared between all cores

xnusmbioscomparisonwf4.th.pngthpix.gif

Could an Athlon user who has a half-fsb ratio (like 10.5x or 11.5x) PLEASE post your MSR value using the kext from previous page? It has come to my attention that some Athlon 64 X2's use non-integer bus ratios, but AMD's documentation doesn't mention this - and so I have no idea how this value is encoded. Getting the msr value should make it clear.

This is really important. Thanks.

@ritalin: Thanks a lot for the testing. I will go through it now.

@p-J: Can you check if booting without busratio= makes the audio stutter or not?

@Nick14: I don't understand what you tried to do - are you loading the cpuid kext? It is only for AMD Athlon and maybe sempron users.

Re: SMBIOS

A comparison XNU and SMBIOS kext using the output from:- sysctl machdep.cpu

Thanks again for the testing. I have uploaded the latest Alpha 11 (alpha 10 was internal) based on the information you (and other AMD testers) have provided.

Please check the google code page to get the latest alpha.

This should fix timing issues as well as the cache information detection. Please test this kernel.

If all goes well, this should be the last alpha before we start with the public beta test.

A NOTE: Thank you for the THREE MSR values I received. Needless to say this does not cover every combination, not even 1% of the combinations. During the past 12 hours, there were 300+ downloads of the kernel. :P AMD users, you have no idea what is in store for you. You really want this kernel released as soon as possible, but we cannot release without testing, and we cannot test without your help.

Alpha 11 work, but only if a use the busratio boot flag:

busratio=11

Without the busratio it fails to boot, if you need a screen shot it will have to wait till tomorrow night.

Cache info is still a little screwed, but it is getting better:

hw.tbfrequency: 1000000000

hw.l3cachesize: 8388608

hw.l2cachesize: 524288

hw.l1dcachesize: 16779264

hw.l1icachesize: 16779264

hw.cachelinesize: 64

hw.cpufrequency_max: 2200000000

hw.cpufrequency_min: 2200000000

hw.cpufrequency: 2200000000

hw.busfrequency_max: 200000000

hw.busfrequency_min: 200000000

hw.busfrequency: 200000000

hw.pagesize: 4096

hw.cachesize: 2147483648 16779264 524288 8388608 0 0 0 0 0 0

hw.cacheconfig: 4 1 1 4 0 0 0 0 0 0

In sys prof:

L2 Cache: 2 MB

L3 Cache (per CPU): 8 MB

Yes please - I really need the info when it fails to boot. I need the 2 lines at the very beginning saying "rtclock_init: Taking bus ratio path X (XXXX)" and "TSC: Frequency=...." Full screenshot is not needed.

Also, please try booting with the bootflag -phenom (if that didn't work, try -athlon or -shanghai).

As for cache - yes there seems to be incositency on what info to send from the kernel. Sys profiler shows total L2 cache so it's correct, 512kb times 4 cores. For L3 it shows only per core. I didn't know this, as it is shared, so it's showing 2MB times 4core = 8! Anyway I've corrected this.

Just to confirm, if anyone running vanilla kernel on a Core2 Duo (or Xeon?) with L3 cache can please post sysctl hw.cachesize and sysctl hw.cacheconfig info along with your real cache information, please do.

For those having boot failure with alpha 11, please try one of the following bootflags depending on your CPU type, then post what worked for you along with your actual CPU type:

-athlon

-phenom

-shanghai

-intelmsr [for most intel CPUs including pentium M]

-pentium4 [some P4/P-D might need this]

If nothing works:

busratio=xx

alpha 11 only works with busratio=11 on phenom 9500

video streaming (such youtube) dont work properly with voodoos kernels, and usb 2.0 dont work (I installed 10.5.5 system.kext and nothing change).

Cache size corrected, system profiler working properly.

The spped of system and gui with this kernel is amazing, only problems usb and video streaming.

I just downloaded the Alpha 11 kernel. This is the first one I was able to boot on my P4 based system.

Rainbow:~ lrh$ uname -a
Darwin Rainbow 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Wed Sep 24 03:22:36 IST 2008; Voodoo; based on ToH:xnu-1228.7.58/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386
R

My hardware data from system profiler is:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:	Mac
 Model Identifier:	8183XXD
 Processor Speed:	3 GHz
 Number Of Processors:	1
 Total Number Of Cores:	1
 L2 Cache:	512 KB
 Memory:	2 GB
 Bus Speed:	400 MHz
 Boot ROM Version:	BOOT.EFI.V80
 Serial Number:	CK157KMHK5B

I think the L2 cache is wrong and I think the bus speed should be 200. Still, it runs on my system and that is a major step forward.

I am still running a 9.4 System.kext. I know I need a 9.5, but which one? Can I just use the vanilla kext?

My system is an un-patched vanilla install booted from a modified EFI partition. My override kext are:

bash-3.2# ls -l /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  admin  102 Sep 23 17:41 AppleACPIPlatform.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  admin  102 Sep 23 17:41 AppleAHCIPort.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  admin  102 Sep 23 17:41 AppleAPIC.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  admin  102 Sep 23 17:40 AppleDecrypt.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  admin  102 Sep 23 17:40 AppleGenericPCATA.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  admin  102 Sep 23 17:40 ApplePS2Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  admin  102 Sep 23 17:40 AppleSMBIOS.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  admin  102 Sep 23 17:40 Disabler.kext
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  admin  102 Sep 23 17:40 IOATAFamily.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root  admin  102 Sep 23 17:40 Natit.kext
drwxr-xr-x@ 5 root  admin  170 Sep 23 17:40 System.kext

My system specs are in the sig.

alpha 11 only works with busratio=11 on phenom 9500

video streaming (such youtube) dont work properly with voodoos kernels, and usb 2.0 dont work (I installed 10.5.5 system.kext and nothing change).

Cache size corrected, system profiler working properly.

The spped of system and gui with this kernel is amazing, only problems usb and video streaming.

Can you please open Console under /Applications/Utilities, and try to look at the kernel: messages from last boot, and find the 2 messages, one starts with rtclock_init: Taking bus ratio path... and the second one TSC: Frequency=...

Please boot without any option, or boot with -phenom option. It will reboot but will save the log messages in Console. Then boot again with busratio=11, and please find and paste those lines so that I can debug it.

Could an Athlon user who has a half-fsb ratio (like 10.5x or 11.5x) PLEASE post your MSR value using the kext from previous page? It has come to my attention that some Athlon 64 X2's use non-integer bus ratios, but AMD's documentation doesn't mention this - and so I have no idea how this value is encoded. Getting the msr value should make it clear.

This is really important. Thanks.

@ritalin: Thanks a lot for the testing. I will go through it now.

@p-J: Can you check if booting without busratio= makes the audio stutter or not?

@Nick14: I don't understand what you tried to do - are you loading the cpuid kext? It is only for AMD Athlon and maybe sempron users.

Yes without the busratio the audio stutter's :)

I'll test alpha 11 when i get home...

~p-J

rtclock_init: Taking bus ratio path 3 (AMD Phenom)

TSC: frequency= 98.223794 MHz, bus frequency= 98.223794 MHz, multiplier= 1

-athlon

-phenom

-shanghai

etc...

Don't work

-phenom

-shanghai

Same as above

-athlon

Instant reboot

fsb=200