Suggestion to clean up the forum

10 posts in this topic

When browsing the forum. I have noticed that soo many questions just keep on being repeated again and again. Also the search of the forum is highly inefficient. I googled the forum and found much better results.

Neway, a good example of what needs to be stickied is this

Questions regarding 855/852/845/865 and resolutions more than 1024x768

Ans They donot have QE/CI support on osx86 and have 1024x768 only, as there is no driver support on 10.4.3 and later

AC97 Problems, How to get em to work

SATA errors - what chipsets work what dont

Nforce Errors - not to sure, but i have read sooo many posts regarding these

Waiting for root device

Wifi cards - What works and how to get it to work - Broadcom, Atheros etc

Blue screen - no login windows/stuck at grey screen - use -x -v

ATI Problems

Macvidia Development

Also we could have a seperate troubleshooting category with the above sub catagories. Maybe a small summary about each topic would help ppl too

This will seriously decrease the number of stupid posts and will make searching and going through the forum much much easier.

Also i wouldnot mind helping you summarize info of all these separate topics into one topic/sticky/doc etc

Thts exactly my idea, even for me to find info about the 1450 seemed a major hassle. Forum searched turned up useless or no results(depending on terms). Googling the site was OK, but i still didnot get a definative answer. Finally i had to GASP!! post a new topic. Which was replied to two days later.

U see, finding anything on this forum has become like finding a needle in the haystack.

It is too big and unorganized.

Eg: Goto the Genius bar and the 855GM post. Atleast 40 ppl have asked about 10.4.3 compatibilty of the fix.......The answer still is no

Also in the past week i have seen atleast 4 posts regarding 855/865/845 and resolution fix for 10.4.3

I would love to do this, but as of now, i donot have ne powers, so as a humble user i make this request. Pls clean up the forum

Thanks for your ideas Unstable Connection. (Sorry for not getting to them earlier, I just got back from break!)

As I'm sure you can guess, it's not easy to figured out the best organization for a forum like this - it's part discussion, part help, part whatever-you-want-it-to be!

So are you suggesting that we have a separate troubleshooting forum where only verified answers are posted?

Also, if you want to start thread with the best links to all those problems you mentioned, please go ahead! I would love it, and I'll sticky it in the genius bar.

I would do things like that on my own, but keeping the site up and running takes up most of time. Things like that help out a lot!

Thanks Mash. Not a seperate Troubleshooting(on second thought), but organize the PC forum such that we have well defined catagories.

Also if possible in each of these catagories have a small summary.

Eg Wifi:

Broadcom cards work Patch <link> Model nos: Dell 1450.........

Athreos works Patch <link> Model nos......

Intel Wireless Pro 2200/2100/2915.....<Link to tuxx's driver dev thread>

Ralink : Driver <link> Model nos DWL122G

Also Wiki is too inaccesible Callysto. Most ppl dont bother reading the wiki. You know everybody thinks they are the first with the problem. Even though Dell 1450 is such a common card. There is no HCL about it on 10.4.5.

What may be our best bet, then, is to have a thread in which we just list all those most commonly addressed issues.

List them like you have above, but have all of those (Wifi, video, etc) in one big stikied thread that we put several places.

Is that kinda what you had in mind?

Yes i think so. Look make something of that sort. Ill start making a summary of Certain issues that i know about eg 855/845.... and wifi and no login windows /waiting for root device errors. If possible could u put an announcement saying that if u have any info on the topics (eg 855/845.... and wifi and no login windows /waiting for root device errors) PM me. Ill include the contributions. Just keep the sticky locked so that only useful stuff is there

• 2 weeks later...
When browsing the forum. I have noticed that soo many questions just keep on being repeated again and again.

No doubt, a majority of threads should be looked and redirected. It is a mess, people do not even both looking for information, they just start a thread.

Also the search of the forum is highly inefficient.

I think the forums search features are great, I always find what I am looking for in post result mode.

I think the forums search features are great, I always find what I am looking for in post result mode.

I tried to search for "post result mode", only coming up with this post. :censored2: Is this a different way of searching that returns more results? I have not had very good luck with the built in searching.

On the "forums and too many posts" topic, I thought the wiki was supposed to be the place to collect tutorials, how-to's, and general information about an endless number of items.

Wikipedia for instance carries their discussions on under different article "discuss" pages. They seem to be building a wonderful library of information that is easy to find/serach, with lots of links to other articles. I don't really know here, but would it be the way to move if everyone was sent in the direction of of the wiki, not only for answers, but to create topics for answers? The main wiki for each topic/article has a very clean page of information that's not cluttered up with lots of post of questions or even "yeah, I did that" or "I tried that and it didn't work". You end up reading through a lot of extra information to find what your looking for.

I don't know if a more wiki approach would be better. I just wanted to bring it up to here what people think.