49 replies to this topic

vbetts

vbetts

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

or games on mac:

native mac games? usually cant play online vs windows players and they are released later and all that...

Cod4 can. :D That's one of the only ones I know of though.

But I wouldn't reccomend crossover. Crossover only has 9.0 support, basically only shader 2.0. Most games if not all recently released games require shader 3.0.

nmarques

nmarques

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Yeah Yeah, we all want games working for Mac as it's the ultimate platform for cheating.

Unfortunatly DirectX is a proprietary package from Microsoft, and you are not gonna see it Mac, thats for sure! As for the rest it's nice when you have a POSIX compliant system running a strong ruleset of security devices that don't allow most anti-cheats to work, to mention one of the most famous: WARDEN from Blizzard (12 Million players worldwide).

You should probably make a petition to Valve to make a OS X compatible package of CS and Steam, as you would have more chances of success than having Microsoft porting DirectX.

And if you take a look at Microsoft, you will notice most of their software is old and not updated requiring rosetta for emulation of the PPC arch, which clearly points Microsoft position towards mac.

You probably should be running a linux bastardization for that purpose (playing), like Ubuntu or something like that.

2stroke

2stroke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
http://www.transgaming.com/ anyhow lol seems kinda stupid to use when your more then likley daul boot but hey i use wineX in ubuntu so i guess it not a real stupid thing. This thread should be moved outta here anyhow.

goodbye losers

goodbye losers

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
http://netkas.org/?p=435

TOS 1.04

TOS 1.04

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
haha, I'm not sure whether the beginning of this thread is sarcastic or hopelessly ignorant.

Unfortunatly DirectX is a proprietary package from Microsoft, and you are not gonna see it Mac, thats for sure! As for the rest it's nice when you have a POSIX compliant system running a strong ruleset of security devices that don't allow most anti-cheats to work, to mention one of the most famous: WARDEN from Blizzard (12 Million players worldwide).

Well... not officially, but it's not the first time the functionality of proprietary software has been rewritten to act exactly the same and then released as open source... ever heard of unix... lol

You've probably heard of WINE (the win-32 library compatibility layer that's been kicking around on linux and BSD for decades), and it's relatively recent porting to OS X, aka crossover in user friendly form... this contains a DX9 compatible substitute library... that effectively is a standalone DX9 graphics library for OS X, BSD, Linux and any other POSIX OS you care to compile it for... since software utilizing DX is only written for windows there's no point in using it outside of WINE.

You should probably make a petition to Valve to make a OS X compatible package of CS and Steam, as you would have more chances of success than having Microsoft porting DirectX.

And indeed they did... while they haven't exactly turned to OpenGL natively, they decided to stick with the result of all their previous efforts to create an engine which uses DX (sensible from the business side of things i guess), this means they also get to keep a single development path for their graphics engine. Instead they wrote a DX to GL layer, this is basically what the WINE DX library does, as all of the OS it runs on use GL. So basically the core engine is the same (but compiled for OS X of course) with the addition of this module that receives all the DX calls and converts them to GL, and it's bloody efficient at it too.

What would be good is if Valve licensed this module so that other windows game devs could release their games on any and all of the platforms supporting OpenGL.

bbeepp

bbeepp

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
DirectX is now natively on linux! Lets wait to some OSX ports :(

Gen0

Gen0

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Uh, they ported the source engine and steam to mac like.... 6 months ago. Its based on a OpenGL implementation of the source engine, so everything source works for mac. It really p*ssed me off as they turned around and tried to mac-ify everything, completely ruining the GUI of some of my favorite games. (TF2 I'm looking at you)

Right now its still much slower and buggier than windows but if your mac religious and dont recognise that gaming is the main reason to keep Windows around, be my guest!

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
i want to get apt-get install working in windows :P

Nameless One

Nameless One

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Couldn't you just let this thread die FFS?
I wish it were locked.

vkfresh

vkfresh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This thread delivers..

The first page alone sent me in to tears.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy