SoundBlaster Audigy Audigy 2 & Live Sound Card -- BETA DRIVER RELEASED!

newbmac

22 posts in this topic

If you're going to update a topic, make it legible.. none of the entries are dated, and the first post is a mess of silly emoticons & shouting & waving, rather than actual information.

if in fact this is a working or partially working driver, than that needs to be made clear, and might even be front page material.

Thanks.

How many outputs and inputs does the driver detect?

Also does the SPDIF will work?

All details here

http://www.driverheaven.net/mac-os-x-drive...-0b2-alpha.html

If you're going to update a topic, make it legible.. none of the entries are dated, and the first post is a mess of silly emoticons & shouting & waving, rather than actual information.

if in fact this is a working or partially working driver, than that needs to be made clear, and might even be front page material.

Great point. Unfortunately I am not that thread author so you might want to complain there...

If you want you can ;) however E prefers feedback on bugs and others such related thing at his place ;)

True. Well you did start collecting the feedback you said, so that works if you don't mind keeping the thread updated

OK well I can now say that I've tested the driver myself, and with a little help from DiegoMax in finding the outputs (mine were on channel 3 & 4) and although audio lost sync after a while, it definitely works well enough to call a successful alpha build. Brilliant effort ;)

[edit] tested on a creative CT4670 - [/edit]

further edit A.K.A This idiot's guide to the driver:

Run the installer.

Go to the Sound System Preference Pane & select your card.

Go to Audio/Midi setup (in Applications/Utilities) and "Configure Speakers" until you get a nasty hissing sound when you hit the test button.

Play some sound!

If/When the sound stutters degrades & dies, quit what you're playing in, open terminal & use:

sudo -s
(password)
kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/kXAudioDriver.kext
(if at this point it says "failed" just repeat the command above)
kextload /System/Library/Extensions/kXAudioDriver.kext

thos will bring it back so you can test further

If/When the sound stutters degrades & dies, quit what you're playing in, open terminal & use:

sudo -s
(password)
kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/kXAudioDriver.kext
(if at this point it says "failed" just repeat the command above)
kextload /System/Library/Extensions/kXAudioDriver.kext

thos will bring it back so you can test further

No need to quit at all. I have both the onboard and an Audigy2, when I unload kext, audio gets routed to onboard, and when loaded, get back to Audigy2. Not sure what happens with people without a second working sound card, tho.

Gonna add a cron task to refresh driver at each 90-120secs... :(

No need to quit at all.

I find this varies from app to app, VLC crashes if I reload the driver mid-stream, watching youtube vids, however, works just fine across reloads. I also find the unload fails more readily if it is in use, which seemed a bit "brutal"

With any luck this "trick" won't be needed for long in any case :(

I find this varies from app to app, VLC crashes if I reload the driver mid-stream, watching youtube vids, however, works just fine across reloads. I also find the unload fails more readily if it is in use, which seemed a bit "brutal"

Weird, because VLC was one of the first apps I tested with driver reload with playing a movie. Same as iTunes, DVD Player and, rofl, World of Warcraft :P All kept working flawless after a kext removal.

With any luck this "trick" won't be needed for long in any case :P

I hope so :( I really hope that. Although my cron h4x is working pretty nifty :D

Installed, but it only shows one output, that I could set it up as 5.1 surround (but with iTunes there is no surround, only Woofer sounds), with AC3 XviD movies the AC3 plugin plays sound on all speakers with proper channels.

What didn't work: headphones and SPDIF (I tested only the Optical btw, I'll test the coaxial later).

Would love when also Mic and Line input works.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HI,

I've just installed the new beta drivers.

For a few minutes everything seems to be working fine

After that, the card begins generating some strange noises.

The noises accumulate constantly, so after few seconds/minutes it's impossible to stand it. All this things is on a SB Live 5.1