Fixing the Goddamned C500's BCM4311 (FULLY RESOLVED)

REVENGE

97 posts in this topic

I'm having issues on a Presario C502US... I install the kext and when rebooting with -v, I see these problems:

12AppleACPIPCI is not compatible with its superclass, 11IOPCIBridge superclass changed?

Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPCI.

Couldn't alloc class "AppleACPIPCI"

From here I can't boot.. any ideas?

I'm installing this on an xxx 10.5.6 install. Are there any special packages I need to install when first installing the OS?

Now I'm trying iDeneb 10.5.6 and I'm getting the same problem above as xXx 10.5.6. cloud, what options did you pick and steps did you take to go from install to working wireless on iDeneb 10.5.6?

Hello to joshua and reedog, and all you guys.

O.K. Here I inform you about my iDeneb 1.5.6 selection.

Audio - AppleAzaleaAudio

Wireless - Broadcom

SMBIOS - AppleSMBIOS MacBook

Firewire Remove

Battery Manager

Intel GMA 950

---------------------------------

I recommend you to install the "USB Drivers--Patched USB Drivers" from iPC10.5.6. Be sure to uncheck everything but the USB Driver at this time. This will fix freezing when attach external USB drive.

And I also recommend you to insatall attached "IOPCIFamily.kext" and "IOATAFamily.kext" files to fix Air Port and ODD problem.

All the credits should go to Eureka, aka Chun-nan, and to the community.

Cheers

cloudy

IOATAFamily.kext_V1.1.zip

IOPCIFamily.Leopard.zip

Thanks cloudy.

I actually got my xXx 10.5.6 install working at the exact same time you posted.. I found out that Chunnan has files specially made for 10.5.6 for download at http://www.mediafire.com/chunnan/

From there, go into the "10.5.6 only" folder and he has an IOPCMCIA.kext file for download. I dissected this file, and it ends up he has a special IOPCIFamily.kext integrated inside for 10.5.6 that also makes the wireless work. I'm hoping that IOPCMCIA.kext file will help others using other distros of 10.5.6 on the c500.

Thanks for the help. I am not sure if it has fixed it or not, but I am still unable to use airport, and it doesnt allow me to turn it on. Using the application from OSXTools (PCIUtils?), I can see my wireless card, but I still cant use it.

In internet settings, the only option I have is still ethernet. I am going to try a complete new install with your options Cloud. (My previous ones were the same as yours, minus the firewire and USB).

Fingers crossed it works.

Thanks for the help

Sorry. It didnt work. Still no airport. It just wont show up in internet settings. There may be a problem somewhere. Can anyone give me a guide on how to turn on airport. I have been trying, btu I may have missed something out (the guide on OSX is hard to understand)

Hi, reedog

It's nice to hear you got it to work.

@ Joshua,

Have you ever tried permissions repair?

Do permissions repair using Disk Utility.

And try to clear kext cache. To clear it,

Open terminal (/Application/Utilities Folder)

type the following command on the terminal

-------------------------------------------------

sudo su

[your password]

touch /System/Library/Extensions

-------------------------------------------------

Reboot your computer.

Yes I have tried that, and I tried it again now. I have followed all instructions in this thread, but it is not working. Airport wont turn on! I cant see it anywhere. The only mention of airport int the whole mac is the help section and airport utililty, which wont let me do anything except scan for wireless networks (which incidently wont work because airport is not turned on.

By the way, I am running genuine vista ultimate, if this affects anythig (I know it shouldn't)

I dont know what the hell is wrong here.

Yes I have tried that, and I tried it again now. I have followed all instructions in this thread, but it is not working. Airport wont turn on! I cant see it anywhere. The only mention of airport int the whole mac is the help section and airport utililty, which wont let me do anything except scan for wireless networks (which incidently wont work because airport is not turned on.

By the way, I am running genuine vista ultimate, if this affects anythig (I know it shouldn't)

I dont know what the hell is wrong here.

Not sure if you downloaded the file, so I'll give a quick step-by-step. I used osx86tools to make the process a lot easier and not worry about dealing with the Terminal.

Go to www.mediafire.com/chunnan, go into the 10.5.6 only folder, and download the IOPCMCIA.kext to your computer. Unzip the file so you have the kext.

Go into OSX86Tools and click the "Install kext" button (middle right part of the window). Select the kext file that you just extracted from the zip.

Restart and everything should magically pop up and work.

I may try a retail install on a C300 using boot-132 method.

A few questions first, as I did not see mention of this when I skimmed this thread:

Is the dvd-drive working on the C300?

Does sleep work? On the C300 or C500?

Also, anyone try an EFI string on the gma 950 of this laptop?

Lastly, some of you are mentioning a USB patch, is this necessary? Or would it work properly w/Retail disc?

I may try a retail install on a C300 using boot-132 method.

A few questions first, as I did not see mention of this when I skimmed this thread:

Is the dvd-drive working on the C300?

Does sleep work? On the C300 or C500?

Also, anyone try an EFI string on the gma 950 of this laptop?

Lastly, some of you are mentioning a USB patch, is this necessary? Or would it work properly w/Retail disc?

I have a C500 but I'll try to answer your questions.

Sleep doesn't work, although I haven't tried much to get it to work.

I haven't tried an EFI string on the GMA950.. I just pick the GMA950 drivers during install and I get automatic 1280x800 with the ability to switch resolutions on the fly.

Thanks for the reply Reedog, but it still hasnt done anything. I dont understand whats wrong with it.

Did your instructions to the letter with a fresh install of iDeneb 1.5.6, and nothing has still changed. I will keep trying though

1 question, how do you get the airport sign into the taskbar? I cant find out how anywhere.

Thanks a lot.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

good day! am running tohleox86 on compaq c571nr. unable to boot after installing iopcifamily.kext provided by chun-nan using kexthelper. just hangs on the gray apple loading screen. what seems to be the problem? any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

Is this magic? hehe .... I now have Wifi on my HP Pavilion DV5-1153ei.

I was having issues with the internal WiFi that shipped with my HP Pavilion DV5-1153ei (Intel WiFi Link 5100AGN) which just doesnt have an OS X driver available. I got and fixed in Atheros AR5007EG/AR5007EG in the secondary PCI-E slot meant for WiFi (I didnt really remove the Intel WiFi. Just added the second adapter to a second wifi slot. It is located directly under the touchpad), but it me issues too. I was able to get it working but it was giving me kernel panic in some cases and might not even allow me to boot at times. Plus Kismac wont detect WiFi networks at some boots. I just fixed in Broadcom BCM4311 WiFi Adapter and guess what? It was detected as soon as I booted. The Airport icon immediately showed up and on opening the preferences/network pane, I saw an airport adapter link in there. I am using iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6 and I didnt have to do anything special to get it to work.

I will suggest anyone having issues with this Wifi adapter should use iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6.

Now I have only one thing to have a fully working MAC Pro ... and thats to get SAVE SLEEP enabled and working well. Hehe ...

• 1 month later...
good day! am running tohleox86 on compaq c571nr. unable to boot after installing iopcifamily.kext provided by chun-nan using kexthelper. just hangs on the gray apple loading screen. what seems to be the problem? any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance!

I'm using a Compaq Presario C500.

I installed iAtkos 7 (10.5.7) and had a similar problem with the version of Chun-Nan's IOPCIFamily.kext that worked perfectly on my previous iAtkos 2 (10.5.2) installation.

The solution was to use Chun-Nan's newer kext, in the folder labeled "10.5.6 only". It seems to work for 10.5.7 as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm using a Compaq Presario C500.

I installed iAtkos 7 (10.5.7) and had a similar problem with the version of Chun-Nan's IOPCIFamily.kext that worked perfectly on my previous iAtkos 2 (10.5.2) installation.

The solution was to use Chun-Nan's newer kext, in the folder labeled "10.5.6 only". It seems to work for 10.5.7 as well.

I had installed v7 on my c500 (c583nr) and used Chun-Nan's 10.5.6 patch and it was able to locate my BCW4311 wifi card, however, what method did you use to power on the device.. I get no blue light from the swich, and under the airport settings turing "on" airport does nothing. Just remains off.

I tried a retail install through an existing install, via usb. I tried moving my custom kexts all to /E/E with Chameleon 2.

I got everything working, BUT sleep. It just would not work. I tried leaving it at 10.5.6, and 10.5.8, no luck regardless.

I don't understand. Maybe I can try the boot-132 method...

So I went back to iAtkos 5i. Sleep just works, and so does everything else. The C300 updates perfectly fine to 10.5.8. I applied the wireless kext after updating to 10.5.8 and it worked just fine. After a few days later, several restarts later. Wireless just stopped working. I remember it doing the same thing with 10.5.6, in which case I re-applied the kext (2 times), booted with -F flag, and eventually it came back. I'm trying that right now, and still no luck. Maybe the kext needs to be updated to 10.5.8.

I'll report back if I get it working again.

EDIT:

Working again, just kept installing the kext using KextHelperb7, and restarting with -F flag. It took about 5 or 6 times of doing that =P

• 5 months later...

Hello

I know this is a little bit off topic, but i just installed iAtkos with 10.5.5 in the C500. Eveyrthing works almost. One big one that dont work is USB, it shows up in System Profiler but when i plug in anything usb, nothing happens. Weird, anyone have this issue?

• 5 months later...

hello, i'm confused about one thing, i'm running 10.5.8 on an aspire 3680. it has the switch on the front as well. i've read that the switch prevents OSX from even reading the PCI-e slot, but in my case under hardware info on the install disc it recognizes the BCM4311 also in EFI studio. how can it know its there and just not be able to use it? please help. i've tried the tape method and everything. i'm despirate