Asus G2P Lappy

144 posts in this topic

Hi All.

I'm planning on giving osx a run on my laptop. At the moment i have Vista and linux running in dual boot and would like to add osx as a third OS. Currently i have the windows boot loader load first and from that i have an option to boot Vista or the grub boot loader. I'm not sure what boot loader mac osx uses but i would like to keep windows boot loader as the main boot loader even if it means using it to boot another boot loader to boot osx. So the questions I have are:

1. There seem to be more then one osx 10.5 patched images around the web which is the best or what are eachs strong and weak points?

2. Is installing osx on my laptop going to have me pulling my hair out(Will post complete specs at bottom of post)?

3. Will osx support my gfx card(see specs at bottom)?

-=SPECS=-

Processor

Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 processor

(2GHz)

Memory

Two SODIMM sockets

2x1GB DDR2 667 Unbuffered Non-ECC memory

Graphics

ATI Radeon X1700 512MB

ATA

1 x DMA 100/66

160GB 7200rpm HDD

8x Dual-Layer DVD+/-RW

Communications

10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet

Intel Pro 3945e(802.11a/b/g) Wireless LAN

56K v.90 Fax/modem

Display

17" WXGA+ TFT LCD (8ms response rate)

Audio

2 stereo speakers

24-bit High-Definition Audio

External I/O Connectors

1 x Power port

1 x Lock jack

1 x Ethernet port

1 x Modem port

1 x Headphone jack

1 x Microphone jack

1 x SPDIF jack

1 x Express Card PCIE slot

1 x Mini Firewire port

1 x TV-out port (S-Video)

1 x AV-IN port

4 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports

1 x D-Sub port

1 x DVI port

1 x 4-pin mini IEEE1394 port

1 x Multimedia (MMC/SD/MS/MS Pro) Card Reader

-=EDIT=-

Things found so far

Modded G2P bios by Kabyl(Seems to be a reliable source)

http://rapidshare.com/files/102425874/G2Pas204_mod.zip.html

This thread thou i don't know what I'm meant to download as everything seems to be crossed out.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=70843

I have decided i will i just give it a try and see if i run into any problems and see where i can get from there. So the main question i need to know is, should i get 10.5.1 or 10.5.2?

Am i likely to have more or less luck with 10.5.2? and is kalyway the way to go? I have very limited bandwidth so i would like to get the right choice the first time around.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

• 4 months later...

Ok ... for those with the Asus G2P machine now you have a place to put some info and news about how to get this machine as far is possible to be compatible with appleOSx.

As Gaming Warrior started to post i will give the info I have about and how to get thing working on Asus G2P.

For ATix1700 graphic card use the files from ATi Mobility Radeon x1700 topic.

Audio ALC882

From linux i get the dump and here is the file to patch the AppleHDA.kext Asus_G2P_ALC882.txt using the Taruga's Patcher

Also for those that might be lazy :D i made an installer with all the files needed to Update1055G2P.zip and make it working.

Contains the AppleSMBIOS, ATIRadeonX1000, AppleHDA, ATINDRV, AppleACPIPlatform, ATIinject, IOPlatformPluginFamily and PowerManagement. This files i tested myself and gives me the more stable system so far.

What is also important?

Wireless

Jalavoui started to develop the driver for 3945abg wireless card and you can find info here

Also might be a good idea to replace the wireless card with the Broadcom 43xx or something 100% compatible with Leopard OSX

Web-CAM someone posted this on SourceForge.net and also i found somewhere in this forum the same link but i can remember where... :blink: me

Card-Reader here something to follow and test and also here

Extra buttons and the lights here something

TV-Tuner I think will be a difficult task but not impossible to port the driver from linux to OSX. Here some info of success under linux and here

That should be ...

Help is welcomed and all the info are precious.

Cheers

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In order to get the sound on 10.5.6 use this kexts AsusG2Psound.zip remove the AppleAzaliaAudio, Extensions.mkext and repair permissions ...

Now the sound should work and in System Profiler the audio info should look like this:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x104313C4

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

Speaker:

Connection: 1/8 inch Jack

Microphone:

Connection: 1/8 inch Jack

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Internal

After that you can use the System Preferences > Sound > Output > Line Out and the jack has to be connected to S/PDIF

Play with the selections there ... is not a perfect solution but works. Also the attached microphone System Preferences > Sound > Input > Internal microphone has to be selected and the jack to the microphone connector.

It is strange but had no time to investigate why ... please report if something new about.

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to make a tutorial for those that do not have time on testing stuff ... or they do not get the system up and running as they want.

So ... HowTo.rtf

PatchEXTRA.dmg.part01.sitx

PatchEXTRA.dmg.part02.sitx

PatchEXTRA.dmg.part03.sitx

PatchEXTRA.dmg.part04.sitx

Update: April 18, 2009

I found that i can add more stuff to the patched system and i decided to optimize a bit the process of install/patch so i made a new How-To with more files on the patcher.

You can aply the new patch to the working system. It will not harm anithing but it will came up with some new things.

What i used in the Patch_AsusG2P_1056 archive:

1. The DSDT.aml - without it the system will end up with a kp related with the AppleRTC

2. A custom Extra folder with Extensions folder and Themes with custom Asus theme for Chameleon2

2a. Extensions folder: all the kexts here have the entry in info.plist OSBundleRequiered:Root

- AppleDecrypt - it makes better job i think than the dsmos but can be also used with it

- To get the keyboard and touchpad working: ACPIPS2Nub and ApplePS2Controller - also i was trying the VoodooPS2Controller but has some malfunction with the VoodooPower

- VoodooPower ans VoodooBatery from Superhi - works grate (thought if you boot the system on battery only it will not detect them so in the menu bar the battery icon will be with an x and in System Preferences -> Energy Saver ... no Battery option)

- Atiinject - edited and working for AsusG2P

3. System folder with the patched kexts in order to get the system up and running:

3a. Library -> Extensions: (this kexts are not loading from Extra -> Extensions folder due to some dependencies

- AppleHDA and HDAEnabler patcehd to get the sound working and to come up in System Profiler (at system first boot will be no sound because in the System Preferences the Sound Output is activated on Headphones) the real working Output are Internal Speakers and Line Out (S/PDIF); At the Input let Internal microphone selected and plug a microphone in the Line In plug) - just another bug of sound but works.

- ATINDRV and ATIRadeonX1000 patched with the device id 0x71d5 (together with Atiinject from Extra -> Extensions folder enables Qe/Ci/ResChange)

- IONetworkingFamily patched from 10.5.5 system (because of the UUID error and because some applications depend on that)

- Chun-Nan's IOPCMCIAFamily - works together with vanilla IOPCIFamily and IOPCCardFamily; enables in System Profiler the PCI Cards entry.

4. patch.sh script that work like the one provided by Brazil and other people on forum (can't remember)

5. The HowTo file ... just in case!

Patch_AsusG2P_1056.tbz.part01.sitx

Patch_AsusG2P_1056.tbz.part02.sitx

Patch_AsusG2P_1056.tbz.part03.sitx

Because there are problems on Power Off and no solution was working (and believe me i tried everything was mentioned on forums ... ) i admit that this kind of installer is just because i wanted less patches and more vanilla system.

Here are more DSDT files, possible someone will help to get the machine more compatible.

AsusG2P_DSDTPatcherGUI_dsdt.dsl.zip

AsusG2P_getSSDT5_dsdt.dsl.zip

AsusG2P_Patcher02Beta5_BiOSextracted_dsdt.dsl.zip

UPDATE 10.5.7

All the files needed to update or fresh install the 10.5.7 system and get most things working from asus g2p machine.

The files with all the instructions included here

Edited by righteye

I decided to make a tutorial for those that do not have time on testing stuff ... or they do not get the system up and running as they want.

So ... HowTo.rtf

PatchEXTRA.dmg.part01.sitx

PatchEXTRA.dmg.part02.sitx

PatchEXTRA.dmg.part03.sitx

PatchEXTRA.dmg.part04.sitx

Thanks for Tutorial!!

Sorry, but I didn't understand about A/B solutions...

Now I have 3 partitions on my internal HDD:

1st with working 10.5.1

2nd with Vista

3rd is for expiriments. Now it not-fully-working 10.5.6 (bootloader is also on this partition, so it loading by default - I need to hit a button each loading to select 10.5.1 partition)

So... Can I install Retail on 3rd partition using solution A? will Vista and 10.5.1 work after this? or I need to reinstall 10.5.1 on external HDD or use solution B?

Thanks for Tutorial!!

Sorry, but I didn't understand about A/B solutions...

Now I have 3 partitions on my internal HDD:

1st with working 10.5.1

2nd with Vista

3rd is for expiriments. Now it not-fully-working 10.5.6 (bootloader is also on this partition, so it loading by default - I need to hit a button each loading to select 10.5.1 partition)

So... Can I install Retail on 3rd partition using solution A? will Vista and 10.5.1 work after this? or I need to reinstall 10.5.1 on external HDD or use solution B?

Just follow the A solution ... It will work. But also like this you'll have to select the partition you want to load the system from ... There is a way to edit the com.apple.boot.plist so you can make the default load to another partition. Search on forum, also i'll search for it and paste the how to here ...

:(

Hi, I've got an Asus G2SG (details in the signature).

I try to install iPC_OSx86_Leopard_10_5_6_Intel_AMD_SSE2_SSE3. I'm not able to boot the install DVD normally. I've to use Safemode (-x). When the installation has finished, the system does not boot and stops at:

MAC framework successfully initialized

using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster I0 buffer headers

What can I do to fix this issue?

I try to install iPC_OSx86_Leopard_10_5_6_Intel_AMD_SSE2_SSE3. I'm not able to boot the install DVD normally. I've to use Safemode (-x). When the installation has finished, the system does not boot and stops at:

Try to boot the DVD only with Verbose and Force... that means at boot -v -f and do the same after the install completes. Not sure if you do not need to do the DSDT.aml patch for your machine ... On mine i have to do it in order to get it working.

Cheers

May be it's not so good solution but just try another DVD, I mean not iPC. It doesn't matter what Leo you install - iPc or iDeneb, or other, but some DVD don't works. I reccomend xXx 10.5.6 Leopard - it has a lot of kext and options and starts well on many computers

Just follow the A solution ... It will work. But also like this you'll have to select the partition you want to load the system from ... There is a way to edit the com.apple.boot.plist so you can make the default load to another partition. Search on forum, also i'll search for it and paste the how to here ...

:)

Righteye... You are wizard! It's ABSOLUTELY working! Everything! After monthes of attempts I have 10.5.6!! Thank you! Thank you so much for all help! :) you are right man ))

Here is one bad-working thing - my time machine disk dont work any more.

It's FireWire External drive, it was working with 10.5.1 but now on 10.5.6 when I chose it for TM it says that cant find network interface or something like that. I formatted it - but nothing changed.

One more thing - maybe it nessecery - TM partition is one of the 3 partitions on that external drive.

Any ideas?

It's done - I just forgot to patch IONetworkingFamily

P.S. Is there any way make Chameleon to load my Mac partition for default? I have 2 partitions - with Mac and Vista and Chameleon always suggest me to choose what load from. But I want Mac to load by default and Vista load for some key pressing during computer loading. Is it possible?

Shutdown &timemachine

For shutdown flash with bios with a moded one (G2P bios by Kabyl).

Timemachine reinstall ipc with acpi intel fix.

If the shutdown works with the patched bios then must work also with a patched DSDT.aml and modified like the bios is modified ... Wonder what Kabyl changed in the bios :)

Do you use the DSDT.aml Paul or just the patched BIOS ?? Can you point an HowTo in the short version ?

Because I did used the patched bios and no change ...

Thanks.

Hi...

So, all problems are solved, thank once more for help.

There left only two:

1) no shutdown :unsure:

2) How can I restore Vista.tib on partition of GUID disk? I have a backup of Vista made by Acronis True Image Home but it doesn't want to restore it on GUID disk... So, is there any way to restore Vista from this backup, or I have to reinstall Mac and Vista?

Hi...

So, all problems are solved, thank once more for help.

There left only two:

1) no shutdown :P

2) How can I restore Vista.tib on partition of GUID disk? I have a backup of Vista made by Acronis True Image Home but it doesn't want to restore it on GUID disk... So, is there any way to restore Vista from this backup, or I have to reinstall Mac and Vista?

I use Winclone to make images of and restore Windows partitions. And works from mac and has no problem with GUID or MBR partitions.

The shutdown drives me crazy to and i investigated most of the possibilities but no success.

Some people think that might be related with the DSDT that has to be modified somehow ... but i have no clue ... all the modifications i made end up in not working system. We have to google more :P

Hope we can keep this topic open and come up with news!

If your windows is working you can use Fusion and in virtual machine list you'll have that partition. It is possible to make a fresh install from there. Have no idea how *.tib files are recognized by the mac os or how to restore it. Try with Hiren's BootCD ... they have included the Acronis True Image 8.1.945.

Good luck and keep me informed if you managed somehow, also i'll keep google for some answers.

I use Winclone to make images of and restore Windows partitions. And works from mac and has no problem with GUID or MBR partitions.

The shutdown drives me crazy to and i investigated most of the possibilities but no success.

Some people think that might be related with the DSDT that has to be modified somehow ... but i have no clue ... all the modifications i made end up in not working system. We have to google more :)

Hope we can keep this topic open and come up with news!

If your windows is working you can use Fusion and in virtual machine list you'll have that partition. It is possible to make a fresh install from there. Have no idea how *.tib files are recognized by the mac os or how to restore it. Try with Hiren's BootCD ... they have included the Acronis True Image 8.1.945.

Good luck and keep me informed if you managed somehow, also i'll keep google for some answers.

Thanks! Winclone helped - everything done by 2 cliks =)

For those who have same problem I want to say:

note that if you restore active Windows partition - Winclone also leave it active after restoring, so on reboot you get just windows instead chameleon. So you need to make chameleone partition (first one, ~200Mb) active again with for example Acronis Disk Director Suite.

Btw, is there anything for Mac to resize partitions, make it active and so one without formatting disk? Anything like Acronis DDS?

And one little question about Mac OS: I turned on Voice Over to command my computer by voice =) but here is little problem. I set my own key-word for listening commands, but after reboot it becomes default "Computer". Does anyone have same bug?

Thanks! Winclone helped - everything done by 2 cliks =)

For those who have same problem I want to say:

note that if you restore active Windows partition - Winclone also leave it active after restoring, so on reboot you get just windows instead chameleon. So you need to make chameleone partition (first one, ~200Mb) active again with for example Acronis Disk Director Suite.

Btw, is there anything for Mac to resize partitions, make it active and so one without formatting disk? Anything like Acronis DDS?

And one little question about Mac OS: I turned on Voice Over to command my computer by voice =) but here is little problem. I set my own key-word for listening commands, but after reboot it becomes default "Computer". Does anyone have same bug?

Never tested Voice Over ...

The thing with the resizing partition: the partition scheme has to be GUID, the resize thing you do it from Disk Utility. Does not resizes NTFS partition, only HFS or HFSJ.

To make a partition active from mac you have the Terminal instructions here or simply use OSx86 Tools Remember that the latest version of OSx86 Tools have another interface that does not alow to select the EFI partition. Use this version if you like OSX86Tools_1.0.148.zip just hope that PCWiz, THE COPYRIGHT OWNER will not be mad on me because i send you back to an older version of his product.

Cheers

Never tested Voice Over ...

The thing with the resizing partition: the partition scheme has to be GUID, the resize thing you do it from Disk Utility. Does not resizes NTFS partition, only HFS or HFSJ.

To make a partition active from mac you have the Terminal instructions here or simply use OSx86 Tools Remember that the latest version of OSx86 Tools have another interface that does not alow to select the EFI partition. Use this version if you like OSX86Tools_1.0.148.zip just hope that PCWiz, THE COPYRIGHT OWNER will not be mad on me because i send you back to an older version of his product.

Cheers

hah =) I just forgot that now I'm using GUID... on my previous mac Disk Utility can't resize anything. Now it can. Thanks.

So... It seems that all problems solved, except wi-fi (which not nesessery at this moment) and shutdown (it's annoying, but not much)

;)

hmmm... Don't think it will help much, but may be it'll be useful someway...

So, I left my G2P with unpluged AC power, so it went to the sleep. Sleeping is also dont work on hackintosh - display turns off, but rest of hardware continues working. Then I force powered off all of this and turned on again - and system bring self back after sleep! Display still was black, but system works - I hear sounds and etc. And it was waking-up, not reboot - for rebooting it spends much more time.

So... Maybe there are some problems with display integration in hackintosh? Because it seems that when it go to sleep it turn off display "forgetting" all other hardware, and when it wakes up - all goes well, but it "forgets" display.

It's just my thinking - I may not be right

More informations about sound:

Taruga made a grate job and i am so sorry about his health state. The patcher did a grate job and helped to get the sound working 90% of its values. (No internal Mic and no Bass)

This are the files used now: AppleHDA.kext.zipHDAEnabler.kext.zip

Here is the linux dump using Ubuntu: Ubuntu_882.txt

and following this how to of THe KiNG i successful obtained the Verbs and the connection graph

HDA882_VistaVerbs_nojunk.txtUbuntu_882.txt.svg.zip but is beyond my understandings how to move one.

Also i followed MadTux tutorial ...

I thanks to them that made me to understand better the sound problem. My fault i am not able to create the AppleHDAPlatformDriver Info.Plist and to move on.

If someone has more knowledges and can help ...

Also i'll send those wonderful guis a PM so that might take a look.

Greetings to al and thank you!

More informations about sound:

Taruga made a grate job and i am so sorry about his health state. The patcher did a grate job and helped to get the sound working 90% of its values. (No internal Mic and no Bass)

This are the files used now: AppleHDA.kext.zipHDAEnabler.kext.zip

Here is the linux dump using Ubuntu: Ubuntu_882.txt

and following this how to of THe KiNG i successful obtained the Verbs and the connection graph

HDA882_VistaVerbs_nojunk.txtUbuntu_882.txt.svg.zip but is beyond my understandings how to move one.

Also i followed MadTux tutorial ...

I thanks to them that made me to understand better the sound problem. My fault i am not able to create the AppleHDAPlatformDriver Info.Plist and to move on.

If someone has more knowledges and can help ...

Also i'll send those wonderful guis a PM so that might take a look.

Greetings to al and thank you!

emmm... And what's new in this patches? I mean that old version works good, but no build-in mic and bottom speakers... So, what's new in this version?

emmm... And what's new in this patches? I mean that old version works good, but no build-in mic and bottom speakers... So, what's new in this version?

Nothing new ... just "more info about sound" for those that might give us some help getting a proper driver :)