DFI LanParty P45 mATX board.

146 posts in this topic

hyperx! please don't say that. there just aren't many mostly working mATX boards out there. i've been looking to build an update to date htpc, and figured i'd base it around this mobo since its pretty new still and seems (seemed) to have activity in the thread..

if you don't turn on sleep in the bios or in the power settings of system preferences, there shouoldn't be a problem, right?

just hope activity doesn't completely die off on this thread since i'm about to buy this board and setup boot132+chameleon.

Most the support is now being thrown behind Asus and Gigabytes m-ATX 9300 and 9400 nvidia boards. The threads on those are HUGE! Support for this board has fallen off once apple said nvidia chipsets work. *Sighs* 155 euro wasted!

This thread is a bit long. What problems have you all had? I see someone mentioned USB?

Let me know, thanks.

-Stell

After S3 Sleep sometimes USB wont come on, hell sometimes USB doesnt work when you first boot!

Not to mention I am still using USB sound *with flaws* cause the onboard sound dies after S3 Sleep!

These 2 issues are really annoying.

The USB sound after sleep stops working with flash, so you must close all the browsers and reopen. ANNOYING!

Plus I still don't have hot swapping working in OSX... just to tired to keep messing with it!

After S3 Sleep sometimes USB wont come on, hell sometimes USB doesnt work when you first boot!

Not to mention I am still using USB sound *with flaws* cause the onboard sound dies after S3 Sleep!

These 2 issues are really annoying.

The USB sound after sleep stops working with flash, so you must close all the browsers and reopen. ANNOYING!

Plus I still don't have hot swapping working in OSX... just to tired to keep messing with it!

I guess you're updated to the latest bios version? Also, which version of OS X are you on, 10.5.6?

-Stell

I'm interested in getting this board, or would you recommend another mATX like the asus or gigabyte? It looks like a good OC'er, but would like it to work with OS X as vanilla as possible!!

Thanks

edit: oh, and I don't use sleep at all, I usually just leave it folding, which seems to clear up most of the problems with this board!

Little quick and mini guide based on what I did, there could be better options.

Using boot-132, which lets you boot an image with custom kexts. This lets you boot a clean copy of leopard (or a stock leopard install cd)

The boot-132 img that i used is this one: http://www.mediafire.com/?l0wizjmfymn

Boot with this, when you get to the grub boot screen, select DVD Loader. Once that finishes loading, swap CDs and boot from a stock leopard install DVD.

Install as you would regular leopard. Format disk as GPT.

This leaves you with a completely clean leopard install, but no way to boot it unless you use the cd bootloader.

To remedy this, you can install chameleon or any other bootloader. I chose to follow this guide:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127330

This loads up your custom kexts to your hidden EFI partition, allowing you to keep your leopard install as clean as possible.

Custom kexts:

-The ones supplied in the grub-dfe image (they are in the in the intrd.img on the iso)

-for ACHI: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=37284

-for sound (The ALC889 Beta drivers) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=129058

If there are any problems after updates, boot with the -x -v -f flags, it should restart and work fine afterwards.

Sleep is still a problem, I switched the suspend type from S3 sleep to S1 sleep in the bios, which works, but its not true sleep.

thenameisgabe, need some guidance here. I manage to get a copy of 10.5.6 retail DVD. Try your method and I'm screen is garbled. I suspect is due to display card (mine is ATI 3850). Any idea how to fix this? Do I need to do something with the Boot-132 ?

Thank you.

TCH, you're better off contacting Bing, as he had the same card as you and got it to work correctly. If I recall, he had to install from a 10.5.0 image and then update from there.

Read the second to last page of this thread, he states all of the things he tried.

• 3 weeks later...

I use this board with Q 9550 CPU, Nvidia 9800GTX+ and SATA and are trying to get osx running.

iDeneb 1.4 is installing sucessfully and was working but without DVD Rom device and no sound. Bios settings with SATA in AHCI Mode and JMicron on.

With iPC 1.5.6 final i have troubles to get a bootable installation. Installation is finished in only 11 minutes but there is no bootloader after reboot.

Did anyone install a iPC or iDeneb releas successfully on this board?

Can anyone give me/us a step by step guide how to install osx on this board and which bios settings are necessary.

I´m sorry for the basic questions but I´m a newbie and can´t make it by myself.

iPC WORKING!

iPC 1.5.6 Final Releas working fine on this board. The Problem was the driver for nvidia 9800gtx grafic card. With an other driver its working fine.

I just selected ich10 driver and ps2keyboard fix, without bios was showing the message "no keyboard is conneced" after reboot.

Sound, shutdown and sleep not working.

• 2 weeks later...
iPC WORKING!

iPC 1.5.6 Final Releas working fine on this board. The Problem was the driver for nvidia 9800gtx grafic card. With an other driver its working fine.

I just selected ich10 driver and ps2keyboard fix, without bios was showing the message "no keyboard is conneced" after reboot.

Sound, shutdown and sleep not working.

Hi

iPC is working very fine with the DFI.

For sound you must only install the driver "ALC885-889A" on the DVD. The same with the restart & shutdown issue, you only need to install the "DSDTPatcherNewHPETf" and activate the HPET to 64bit in the BIOS.

Hi

iPC is working very fine with the DFI.

For sound you must only install the driver "ALC885-889A" on the DVD. The same with the restart & shutdown issue, you only need to install the "DSDTPatcherNewHPETf" and activate the HPET to 64bit in the BIOS.

Does the sound continue to work after S3 sleep though? that was always one of my huge issues.

• 1 month later...

10.5.7 works fine on DFI Lanparty JR P45 T2RS. ICH10 has now native support (only the LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext is needed against the orange drive icons)

Only problem at the moment is, that the ALC885-889A legacy kexts need the AppleHDA.kext 10.5.6 for the time being.

OS X gives a kernel panic on reboot with the AppleHDA.kext 10.5.7, so remove your ALC885-889A legacy kexts before updating and put them and the 10.5.6 AppleHDA.kext back on later.

Sleep I did not care for, maybe I give that a try now.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I have installer iPC 10.5.6 on this motherboard and I have chosen the ICH10 kext , nvinject and the ps/2 keyboard fix.

Besides sound and sleep (which from what I read are fixable) I am getting random "You need to restart your computer" crashes.

I tried deleting AppleInterCPU kext but the problem persists. It seems to happen more when I am installing applications.

In particular with VMWare. Could it be related with the hard disk access?

An thought on how to debug this? should I install the AHCI kext from this thread? thanx in advance

I never had problems with this board, it's higly compatable. I only use

Disabler.kext

AppleDecrypt.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

For sound DSDT. For video EFI string

Sound on 10.5.6 works with Stickpins ALC885-889A legacy kexts

Still no sleep.

I had some minor issues with iPC (one or two apps crashed)

I would recomend a retail installation or a combo update to 10.5.7 to set things straight.

Use the native 10.5.6 AppleHDA.kext and Stickpins ALC885-889A legacy kexts for sound with 10.5.7 or native 10.5.7 AppleHDA.kext and DSDT.

You don't need any support for ICH10 on 10.5.7 (only IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext against orange icons (provided with Chamelion 2)),

besides the orange icons it runs out of the box! Be sure to set the sata controler to AHCI in the Bios.

I guess besides probable errors caused by iPC (or a non retail installation), that the kenel panics are due to graphics problems.

What graphics do you use?

• 1 month later...
Guys,

Any idea how to enable the on board audio with SPDIF support?

I tried various kexts on only VoodooHDA comes with cracking noise.

Thank you.

Sound has always been an issue. I deal with it mostly working but with no sleep ;\

• 3 weeks later...

Snow works very well.

I only use 2 kernel extensions: Netkas fakesmc.kext and the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.

Graphics and time machine fix via EFI string, sound and CMOS fix via DSDT.

Still no microphone and no sleep. SPDIF I have not checked.

Next I am going to try to get the time machine fix (ethernet internal flag) and my 8600 GT

to run only by DSDT.

• 2 weeks later...
Snow works very well.

I only use 2 kernel extensions: Netkas fakesmc.kext and the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.

Graphics and time machine fix via EFI string, sound and CMOS fix via DSDT.

Still no microphone and no sleep. SPDIF I have not checked.

Next I am going to try to get the time machine fix (ethernet internal flag) and my 8600 GT

to run only by DSDT.

Pontifex22, did you use a particular guide or follow a set of instructions to get this working? I'm sitting on a great 10.5.8 install and have been hesistant to move, but I have a good image so would be willing to write a guide for it if I can get some advice on any hurtles you might have found. Thanks.

--Matt--

This is what he told me when I asked him:

pontifex22 wrote:

First I tried to install from a second working Leopart partion by calling the installer mpkg but that did not really work.

Then I used a 8GB stick partitioned it GPT installed Chameleon 2 RC 3 on it and then copied the kexts and all into extra and then

copied the snow retail onto it.

You have to put the uuid of your stick into the boot.plist like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v -boot-uuid=3A05DDF3-806F-3DCC-87BA-93DAA776E05B</string>

Then boot from the stick and install to a GPT paritioned drive.

Then boot again via stick, but choose the snow drive. Also on first startup boot in 32 bit mode (-arch=i386 -legacy)

After setting up your user, install chameleon to boot up without the stick (might be handy to have the installer also on the stick)

Basically it's a modification of this: http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-retai...for-g31m-t3672/

If you have not got a 8gb stick it also should work with booting up the retail disk via a prepaired chameleon stick

Also DSDT is a must! cos our mainboard resets the CMOS without the CMOS dsdt fix.