USB Hotplug Fixer

~pcwiz

30 posts in this topic

I will just copy and paste from the included ReadMe

USB hotplug not working? This may be due to the fact that the IOUSBMassStorage.kext is not loaded. This simple application automatically detects whether or not the kext is loaded, and if not, it will load the kext and instantly enable USB hotplug. You can just double click it and run it whenever you want, or you can set it as a startup item to load every time you turn on the computer.

If the kext is already loaded and you run the app, it will just open for a split second and then quit. If the kext is not loaded, it will prompt you for an admin password and it will load the kext.

Application is attached ^_^ Hope this solves the problem for the people that are having this problem.

Note: Feel free to leave comments/feedback, however I will be gone for the next week so I can't respond till I get back :(

EDIT: As of July 8th, new version attached

PCWizUSBHotplugOSx86_2.zip

I get an window says: The command gaves back an result zero.

Seems thats an error message from the system (applescript envioriment), not from an information output by debug code in script.

Wouldn't "usb fix 1.3.mpkg" be a better option?
comparing apples with horses. the .mpkg INSTALLS kexts, ~pcwiz fixer only LOADS a kexts if needed = a totally different ballgame.

My hotplug fix (if needed) has so far been a script which touches the extensions folder, which, however, is a bit of an overdose. This approach is more efficient.

Still, in case anybody still encounters hotplug problems despite of ~pcwiz fixer, just touch the XT folder ..

I get an window says: The command gaves back an result zero.

Seems thats an error message from the system (applescript envioriment), not from an information output by debug code in script.

Hm...does that mean that the kext is not loaded on your system?

Hm...does that mean that the kext is not loaded on your system?

1. If no USB Stick : yes it is not loaded (kextstat does not show it), this ERROR

2. If USB Stick: it is loaded automatic by system (kextstat shows it), no error message

Does this mean, your tool may help people which usbmass. is not loaded if they plug in an USB Stick ?

But then will get the error ??

~pcwiz, until you have refined the query if the IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext is loaded or not: attached is a lil script that will load the kext without checking. If one runs the correct system/kernel combination and the kext is already loaded, it should simply detect the kext being loaded, and nothing.

kext is loaded with sudo, so if not logged in as root, one will be asked for the admin PW.

If logged in as root, simply add an entry to your account's loggin items (check the box to run hidden). If usually you do rather not log in as root you might simply run the script on demand (desktop, dock whatever).

The script closes with killall Terminal so there is no windows to close.

(Adding the kextload to rc.common as some people suggest does NOT work)

kextload_IOUSBMassStorageClass.zip

OK, I've attached a new version of the script on the first post. Hopefully this fixes the errors, test it and tell me how it goes. Basically it checks if the kext is loaded using the kextstat command and if it is not loaded, it will load it.

Hey thanks for putting that up! I'm sure it will help many people ;) You should also mention 2 more things:

1) "with administrator privileges" part is not necessary unless the command needs to be run as root (with sudo superuser privileges), but most commands are

2) If you have multiple commands you want to execute, you can put in multiple "do shell script" lines, one for each command

:(

Still getting the error zero on a P4 System. :(
same thing here. It is detecting that the kext is already loaded. So that message would only have to be suppressed in the script, that's all, other than that it is working.

Ah...I get it. I need to add an error handler for it :)
yes, darn, this is the pro way of expressing it. Man, I LEARNED stuff like that (Pascal, Basic, VBasic, JavaScript, Action Script, a lil bit of bash/ php/ pearl), but sometimes my brain doesn't provide the right words right away .. ;)

yes, darn, this is the pro way of expressing it. Man, I LEARNED stuff like that (Pascal, Basic, VBasic, JavaScript, Action Script, a lil bit of bash/ php/ pearl), but sometimes my brain doesn't provide the right words right away .. :)

:hysterical: "So that message would only have to be suppressed in the script" :lol: I'll fix this up when I have time :)