• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

geoff123p

geoff123p

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Google search a program called gparted live cd.
Boot into the cd
Make your windows partion the boot one.

Are you able to select mac os x from the XP boot menu?

i have a triple booting situation with 2 xp and 1 macosx on the active partition...
it works with darwin boot loader...by default it boots mac if i want to boot xp i should press a key and then select another partition then i enter the xp boot.ini and select again which one xp i want...

problem is that i use xp much more then osx (i use osx only for 1 program) so i tried to change the active partition to the xp partition (apparently this is the only way to change the default boot in darwin until someone will edit the code, hopefully soon..)
then i tried again and ...darwin disappeared no more chance to boot osx....
so i modified the xp boot.ini with the chain0= system and now i have a first boot option menu from windows then i select mac osx , then enter darwin and then i have to press any key and then select AGAIN mac osx...

i wonder if there is any more clean solution with just one menu...ok not that big deal but still....

thanks
matteo

rchapoteau

rchapoteau

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
This seems like it was answered in the original post but I'm going to ask it just to be sure since I'm not 100% positive.

I have a laptop which has SATA, but it can't boot from the SATA port. I can install OSX to the drive but I have no way of booting TO it. Can I make a boot disk (USB key or CD or something) that on boot will point to the SATA drive? Thanx.

winlinmac12

winlinmac12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
I have an seemingly unique issue... I have an HP pavillion laptop. It comes with 2 built in HDDs. One primary which houses Vista Home Premium, and one backup, which I use to hold the Linux distro. Ubuntu.

I installed Leo using the Kalyway disk onto my Maxtor portable HDD (190Gb) because I managed to format it to an extended journaled system. It gave me the green success deal at the end of installation and said it had to reboot.

Upon rebooting, I interrupted the normal loading, which would ususally bring me to the boot screen for either Vista or Ubuntu, and selected the USB Hard Drive option. Nothing happened except that it began to load the kalyway dvd I left in the tray. I tried it again...this time it just left me on the boot menu for Vista or Ubuntu. I have booted linux via USB before so I don't think that is the issue.

I now pose the two following related questions:

One: Is there some program, hopefully open source/free, that I need to use to set up the boot options in order to allow the booting of a non-NTFS formatted drive?

Two: Since the HDD with Ubuntu on it is 11.9Gbs and the Leo install only takes around 6 or 7 Gbs, is it possible to format the drive to a Mac OS Extended or other suitable type and install Leo on the second disk (obviosuly after getting rid of Ubuntu) and be able to boot it normally...with or without a program's aid?

Thanks! All help is greatly appretiated!

Winlinmac12

coachabower

coachabower

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Hey,

I just started messing with the osx86 project a few days ago. First thing I want to say is amazing job to all the developers that put the time into getting mac os up and running on pc.

I picked up the v7 distro from iATKOS and installed it fine.
I then decided to take it a step farther (because I have an intel 5100 wireless card and can't live without the net) and dual boot windows 7 for internet use.

I'm a fulltiltpoker.net junky :)

Anyway, I can get the dual boot to work fine using easyBCD from windows to load the appropriate os.

My problem is that I'm never satisfied :D and staring at that ugly ass bootloader when I know darwin is just sitting there waiting for me just makes me sad.

I really want to find a way to dual boot using just Darwin. It seems like winblows wont boot properly if it's not on the first partition and the last os installed. I tried loading windows on disk0s2 and mac os on disk0s1 but when I try to load windows it gives me the bootmgr is missing error. So I tried leaving windows on the first partition but installing os x afterward so darwin would be the initial bootloader. Which again worked fine until I try to actually enter windows, then I get the bootmgr error again.

So, my idea, which should work in theory, is to have a third partition of around 7gigs just to have an active windows boot, then use easyBCD on that part to load mac os as default with a 0 sec timeout.

Idk, i just think that's pretty sloppy, so I'm hoping you guys know a better way.

p.s. after reading through this post it seems like the bootmgr issue is because windows isn't the active partition? If that's the case I hate windows {censored} little quirks, and if I could get my hands on a driver to support my 5100agn i would kiss windows goodbye forever.

Also, I realize some of you may be thinking, just buy a mac and quit bitchin, but I'm a broke college student with poor parents, and I'm using student loans to cover school costs and jobs to barely cover the bills. My computer is the best material item I have and I want to get the most out of it.

coachabower

coachabower

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Nevermind...I'm just an idiot...darwin works fine I just needed to boot into a partition called system reserved which apparently is the boot partition for windows.

I was trying to boot into windows ntfs thinking the reserve was just for recovery purposes.

I'm happy now :angry:

justry

justry

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Hi, I'm an absolute mac newbie. Just installed kalyway 10.5.2 on an external USB HDD. It installed fine, but the darwin bootloader got installed to my primary (internal) HDD. That's fine because I used EasyBCD to add an entry for mac to the windows bootloader and now I can boot into leopard, but only from my pc. Now my question is: Can I remove darwin from my internal HDD and install it on the external USB HDD so I can boot it from any PC?

s.sirio

s.sirio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Dear all,

I have to ask your kind help for one other matter. I have clearly a problem with the boot loader because previously at booting was showing me the HFS+ Partition Error. I have made some research and used the FDISK improperly so now if I boot without the installation DVD it appears only a blank cursor on the top left corner of the screen. If I boot with the dvd it works normally.
I read among other posts this discussion here which points in the direction that I must have only for partition to have a boot loader to work (if I got it correctly) but at the moment I have 4 + the partition that Leopard creates for a total of 5.
I have attached a print out of some commands that might help (the XXXXXX replace my name).
Name of partition:

VISTA: Black one to host VISTA if necessary after fixing everything else
NEPTUNE: Kalyway 10.5.2. Just a test partition used to install retail. Can be deleted
SATURN: Partition for data. At the moment there are some few files but should host all my datas
JUPITER: Main partition with Leopard 10.5.8

My problem is: what I need to do to have the Jupiter partition working when I start the computer and a potential VISTA partition to install VISTA after that everything is working?

Many thanks for your kind help
Looking forward to hearing from you

s.sirio

s.sirio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
I have solved my problem thanks to the help of Giorgio Multi in the Italian forum. In few words he pointed out that I should have backup the Leopard partition (I used Carbon Copy Cloner), install the backed up to the VISTA partition and then get rid off the JUPITER partition. I got rid off the JUPITER merging it with the SATURN using the follow commands

Sudo -s
password
mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk0s4 disk0s5

where disk0s4 is SATURN and disk0s5 was JUPITER

then I flagged the VISTA partition as active (renamed to SUN) using FDISK and installed the cameleon Boot loader.

Now my system works perfectly.

Hope this little post can help anyone facing such a problem

take care

gideonrichter

gideonrichter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
anyone help me with instructions on dell 1525 install? dual boot

vx86

vx86

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Could someone describe, in a brief, SCRIPT-like form how to set up DUAL BOOT.
For example:

/dev/disk0s1 -- Os X
/dev/disk0s2 -- Linux/Debian

...from OsX as root, download Chameleon (http://chameleon.osx...r684-bin.tar.gz) and unwrap it. then as root:

cd Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin/i386

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2
cp boot /

thanks in advance !!

-jack

wizard0

wizard0

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
HI all!

I have a problem:
I have Leopard and xp in two partitions. I was using darwin bootloader and everything was perfect. My windows crashed and i had to format that partition and reinstall windows, the thing is that now i can´t boot anymore osx, even pressing f8.

I have to install some bootleader? If i have to, any recommendation?

thanks for the help really, some stuff are difficult to understand for me so i need a little help

thanks again

wiZ

ilhm

ilhm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Thanks a lot.

JakeTheRake

JakeTheRake

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I am a new member, and have never made a hackintosh. (I already have macs) However I have taken an interest in this topic. Anyway, since the new GRUB bootloader supports a selective boot to mac osx, why would it not be able to point to darwin bootloader? If it's possible, you could just simply set the timeout in darwin to 0, setting default as OSX partition and use GRUB as the device to select the boot partition. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I would like to know much more about the topic.

oldnapalm

oldnapalm

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Moderators
  • 6,838 posts
Yes, you can do that. Instead of setting timeout to 0, use the quiet boot option.
<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>yes|no</string>
	No messages or prompts displayed while booting (press F10 while booting to override)

JakeTheRake

JakeTheRake

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Yes, you can do that.

Nice! That would be my choice! But for now, I just use boot camp for MAC or PC then GRUB for PC or GNU/Linux. I'm a Mac Child! <_<

as1serge

as1serge

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Dear people. I have Acronis Loader multiboot on SATA partitions (XPx64, Win7 and Snow with Chameleon loader- Darwin); Everything worked fine. I've just added extra IDE HDD formatted NTFS to computer - it is empty now no OS. Acronis loader works and boots into Win systems where this HDD is visible and read/write is OK. But when I chooze to boot into SnowL via Chameleon it freezes with black screen and cursor blinking. If I disable this new IDE HDD detection in BIOS and it is not seen anymore, everything is fine as was before, so the problem is obviously with adding this extra HDD. Please help me what could be done, please.
Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy