9800GX2 working full (qe/ci)

43 posts in this topic

OK enough, you guys are making me jealous, i got myself a Mac Pro early 2008 version with 8800GT running in it, and i seriously want to get a 9800GX2 display card running in it since you guys say it works, can anyone come up with a NICE Nice instructions manual on how to install?? and im guessing im buying from XFX.

Also in future updates of the Mac Os X like 10.5.4 will the kexts be unfunctional again?? assuming that you guys say that 10.5.2 runs with problems with the Latest Kexts and that Kexts are updated all the time and that the lastest kext runs with 10.5.3......

guys i may sound like a total Mac Nut Job but i really wana play World of Warcraft without any laggy FPS cause my 8800GT actually does have them..

So HELP me, guide me.

the problem wasn't with kexts, it was with the card being initialized properly so it could function (pre-boot)

Update: I have been able to create a rom image which initialise the card when the computer is turned on.

Update: I have been able to create a rom image which initialise the card when the computer is turned on.

In other words, you've got a flashable, 9800GX2 ROM? Or one that you can setup the card with once the rest of the computer is already in OSX?

Mac Guguen: whatever the card you will put, WoW won't be still running at 60fps all the time. The game is too old and doesn't really use 100% of the performances of GPUs, so even if you would see some FPS increase, it won't be dramatic. The engine would have to be rewritten from scratch to use 100% of nowadays GPUs power.

Dude, Cyclone....

Case you didnt know

I played wow on my old computer running on GPU of x800 ATI, now i got meself a mac pro running with geforce8800GT

BiG BIG difference

from 30 FPS to 200FPS in Shat' so i dont really know what exactly you mean by a dramatic increase...

is 170 FPS difference dramatic??

Please reread what i've written. I NEVER said a X800 vs 8800 GT won't change in WoW. What I meant is the game doesn't use the FULL potential of NOWADAYS GPU. So YES, a GTX2x0 will improve the performances in WoW, but not AS DRAMATICALLY as going from a X800 to a 8800 GT!

Even 8800 GT versus ATI X1900/NVIDIA 7900 series won't change that much on a Mac Pro and WoW.

And speaking about Shattrah, try to look in places where there are lots of people (20 or so and look at them), FPS can drop to 30 FPS, even on a 8800 GT. Why ? Because the engine is old and not optimized for todays GPU. While with a GT200, you will get more than 30fps, you WON'T GET 60FPS for sure, and that's what I call "not dramatic".

• 3 weeks later...
Now to get SLI support hacked on the Mac Pro.

The 8800GT does have an SLI port on it from Apple I wonder are they planning to enable it via an EFI update after WWDC?

I say this because of the similarity between the Intel Skulltrail platform (that supports SLI and Crossfire) and the Mac Pro motherboard.

Probably ain't gonna happen. And here's why: the Skulltrail has one important component for SLI that the Mac Pro motherboard lacks. The Skulltrail has an actual nVidia nForce 100 SLI bridge chip sitting between the 2 x16 busses. The Mac Pro is Crossfire capable, but due to the lack of an nForce SLI bridge CANNOT run SLI without using hacked drivers (of which I don't believe any exist for the current generation of cards)

the problem wasn't with kexts, it was with the card being initialized properly so it could function (pre-boot)

Did you upload that rom image? and how to use it?

I have a 9800GTX on my Hack but I want to test it on the Mac Pro :P

• 1 month later...

Any more details on how this was done? I'm quite interested, as I, too have a Mac Pro, and a 9800, though it's a 9800 gtx, in my case. I've already tried flashing the 8800 gt EFI32 BIOS onto the card, with predictably black-screened results.

• 2 months later...
Was getting bored of vista so i decided to get my 9800gx2 working in OS X.

Init-ed the 9800's within efi shell by loading option rom of 8800 card (im too lazy to write vbe initialization code), installed injector kext (with great help to target disk mode :P ), first got 9800 working no qe/ci bt had res change. Then mucked around some more and got qe/ci working.

I used old 2600xt to load option rom as only way to do with refit.

Will upload more pictures / info when i can be bothered and have more sleep.

Ok so my 8800GT has bit the dust and I am back on the original ati2600. Looking at new GPU ideas for my Mac Pro... ran into this thread and am interestd in how you did this, with a step by step how to if possible. Reading your post, I am thinking you booted with a 2600 and used rEFIt to load the rom for the 8800 and then used the nvinject to recognize the card....