[HOW TO] Seamless upgrade from 10.4.x to 10.4.11 + Security Patches

obijohn

59 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...

i get "permission denied" message after typing "./backup.sh" .i'm a newbie by the way.ah..i wanted just to say that when i type "sudo -s" and it asks for te passsword ,i don't know what password since i didn't create any password in mac except for my apple id account ,i enterd that password so the line changed from "daniel-wahibs-computer:~ danielwahib$" to "daniel-wahibs-computer:~ root#"

i ennter th "cd ~/sys_backup" line it also changes the line before command to "daniel-wahibs-computer:~/sys_backup root#"

but when i enter "./backup.sh" it say

"bash: ./backup.sh: Permission denied"

i know i/ve talked too much but i really haven't got a clue about mac so i follow orders only

PLEASE HELP, I REALLY WANT TO UPDATE

what shall i do

• 5 weeks later...

I did update to 10.4.11 from 10.4.8 on my Thinkpad t43p. But for some reasons my TouchPad and Sound do not work. it says at the startup that "ApplePS2Controller.kext" and "AppleAC97Audio.kext" didn't install properly. I tried to replace them from the backups, but no luck.

How can i reinstall them?

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

just tried on a Dell Dimension 2350 with 10.4.6, backup and upgrade went perfectly, but restore stopped at repairing disk permissions. I then tried to start the diskutil in terminal and it also froze. I figured it was dead, but rebooted anyway, and got a lot of "illegal instruction" messages then it froze again.

Anything I can look at as far as the disk permissions not being fixed.

Otherwise, excellent upgrade instructions!

Thanx in advance.

Mike

Also, can it be fixed from where it is at, or should I reload the OS and start from there?

Dell Dimension 2350

P4 @ 2.2GHz

1 GB RAM (2x512MB)

Seagate PATA 80GB HDD

NVidia FX5200

• 4 weeks later...

Okay this is not working..period. I have loaded Jas OS X Tiger Version 10.4.6 a total of four times and used these instructions to the letter all four times and the first three times my system rebooted with Kernel errors and the fourth time I tried to update to 10.4.10 Combo for Intel and after carefully following all the directions the system rebooted and I received a gray screen of death. Now this is not a perfect solution for every installation, that is blatantly obvious...I think I will just stick with my current stable installation until someone can come up with a "true" fool proof upgrade solution.

Thanks to the contributor of this tutorial, but it simply will not work with my installation.

**UPDATE*** For all of you who are trying to upgrade from JAS OS X Version 10.4.6 this method will not work. You need to acquire a copy of JAS OS X Version 10.4.8 in order to fully upgrade to 10.4.11 using the Combo update package + these instructions to work. It took some time for me to realize that there is something wrong with the 10.4.6 image that will not allow you to update. I updated with the 10.4.8 image and it worked great. Thanks again to the author for such helpful instructions! Now if I can only update my Leo 10.5.5 install using something similar to these instructions I will be on easy street. ;)

• 5 months later...
Yes, it kills your OSX, you need to backup /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework from working System and put it back with all Updates installed.

Hi riws. Can you give some more details? I can't access the terminal do to something at the end of the update process.

Thanks.

• 10 months later...
Okay this is not working..period. I have loaded Jas OS X Tiger Version 10.4.6 a total of four times and used these instructions to the letter all four times and the first three times my system rebooted with Kernel errors and the fourth time I tried to update to 10.4.10 Combo for Intel and after carefully following all the directions the system rebooted and I received a gray screen of death. Now this is not a perfect solution for every installation, that is blatantly obvious...I think I will just stick with my current stable installation until someone can come up with a "true" fool proof upgrade solution.

Thanks to the contributor of this tutorial, but it simply will not work with my installation.

**UPDATE*** For all of you who are trying to upgrade from JAS OS X Version 10.4.6 this method will not work. You need to acquire a copy of JAS OS X Version 10.4.8 in order to fully upgrade to 10.4.11 using the Combo update package + these instructions to work. It took some time for me to realize that there is something wrong with the 10.4.6 image that will not allow you to update. I updated with the 10.4.8 image and it worked great. Thanks again to the author for such helpful instructions! Now if I can only update my Leo 10.5.5 install using something similar to these instructions I will be on easy street. :P

Thanks saved me some time :) now to download 10.4.8