Apple Introduces Intel Mac Mini

Swad

154 posts in this topic

well I suppose I can put in my two cents.

As far as the higher cost compared to the g4 mini, the upgrades are obviously worth it. A faster cpu amongst other things is totally worth the 100$.

However, there are functions I would have liked to have seen that arnt there, the biggest one would be the lack of a tv tuner card. Of course, after looking at the pictures I see there is no way that that could have fit in there. Knowing that, I would be very happy if you could buy a firewire interface like some that are already availabe but made like those cool mac mini hard drive enclosures that fit directly under the mini perfectly.

The real problem that arises with the mini is when a consumer like me looks at it. I have a laptop and would love to have a nice mac desktop. However, since I currently have a laptop that means I have no external screen. Therefore, if I wanted to get a mini I would have to buy the mini and an appropriate screen to go along with it.

By the time I do that, I'm in the price range of an imac which is more powerful so I would just go ahead and do that. But then there is the fact that I dont want an integrated screen. So then I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place so to speek...

overall, if I were currently a desktop user with a monitor and things of my own then I would see the mini as a great deal and would jump on it. As it is though, I will not be buying one anytime soon.

oh, and when is apples birthday in april.?

I'm hoping for a new ibook or a smaller macbook then

Just went to read specs on the new mini on Apple's site and found something rather strange. The new Mac Mini burns double layer discs! Why can a Mac Mini, which is supposed to be an entry level, non-pro system, burn double layer discs while the MacBook Pro, emphases on the Pro, can't. I'm so glad I bought a PowerBook. Hopefully by next year, Apple will revise the CrapBook or whatever it's called...

The simple answer is that there aren't any dual layer drives available yet that fit in the form factor required for the MacBook Pro. It is a bit thinner than the previous PowerBook, and the drives used in those (which happen to also be in the mini) won't quite fit. Apple is planning on putting dual layer drives in them as soon as some that are thin enough are released.

Fourth, no matter how we twist or turn, the GMA950 is a disappointment as I'm sure it won't be sufficent to drive OS X in a nice way. The Radeon 9200 is already really slow when using OS X.

Try to tell that to those of us who have GMA 900 and get XBench benchmarks that rival the iMac G5 (especially in OpenGL).

As has been stated over and over again in this thread, the GMA 900/950 does things that the Radeon 9200 in the G4 mini couldn't, such as CoreImage.

• 2 weeks later...