105 replies to this topic

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Hello everyone!

Here is the power supply block (an Enermax Liberty 650W) with the reworked internal ports. All have been kept: the 2 LAN, digital in and out, firewire, firewire800, usb, sound.

Posted Image

And here is an initial mak up to see the spaces and define the future modifications to do:

Posted Image

Then it was time to clean up the inside fo the case, cut the wires so that they would be comfortable to attach to the motherboard, and rationalise the entire internal disposition.
There are 2 hubs, an USB and a Firewire one, that will keep the cable clutter away by managing all the internal wires smartly.

Posted Image

Finally it's starting to take shape! Here is how the reworked ports look like fron the inside:

Posted Image

And here's some pure geek love:

Posted Image

Here are the ports, all fully functional:

Posted Image

Also the internal case antenna is functional of course, connected to a broadcom Mini PCI internally, and seen as Airport.

Posted Image

Here's my baby! Quite the sweat to build it, but paid off at the end!

Posted Image

:)

DiaboliK

DiaboliK

DiaboliK <- Capital K!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
got enough silicon on the back there? nice to see it hidden under some more {censored}....

-D-

btw... wheres the pics of the the space in front of the mobo?

onemanstrash

onemanstrash

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
hey torquex86 looks like a lot of work. Do you have any pics of the drives in the case and it running? I'd like to see it in its finished state

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

got enough silicon on the back there? nice to see it hidden under some more {censored}....

Something is wrong? If it hurts to see it, change channel, uh. And it is not silicone, it is heat glue, I'll try next time to keep the connectors firm just with my super powers! Quite anxious to see your 8 core mod, I'm sure it will be amazing.

btw... wheres the pics of the the space in front of the mobo?

Hey, what is this gestapo attitude? I just posted the pics of my case mod, what is the problem with that?

/me perplexed.

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
Well done TorqueX86, nice and neat job. Btw I always love the friendly and sympathic Diabolik's comments. :rolleyes:

jricks92

jricks92

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Looks great TorqueX86! Your mods are always so clean and well thought out.

thespottedelf

thespottedelf

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
wow its awesome....

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
About the cooling of you PSU, previously I can see the original fan on top of the PSU and in the front of the case a double fans which blows to the back the warm air flew from the PSU. On the last pix, the PSU is cover by a metal plate. My question is how do you cool the PSU now ?

pirloui

pirloui

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
The rail for holding the female connectors is a good idea, you don't attack the case, and have the access to make it clean..
I'll borrow your method If I have time :censored2:
Just assembled my G5 Osx86, but it's a mess inside and the ports are on the PCI back.

amd_sony

amd_sony

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
Hi Torque. Awesome workmanship. I'm about to start my G5 mod this week and plan to leave the back of the case intact. I appreciate you sharing your experience with the community.

A few questions:
  • What connectors did you remove from mobo?
  • What tray did you use?
  • What changes did you make to the PSU? I'm considering getting the same one. Do you have any close ups of the changes?
  • I have the original G5 mobo. Can I remove the FW800 and other ports and reuse them?
Thanks again.

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Hi Torque. Awesome workmanship. I'm about to start my G5 mod this week and plan to leave the back of the case intact. I appreciate you sharing your experience with the community.

A few questions:

• What connectors did you remove from mobo?
  • What tray did you use?
  • What changes did you make to the PSU? I'm considering getting the same one. Do you have any close ups of the changes?
  • I have the original G5 mobo. Can I remove the FW800 and other ports and reuse them?
Thanks again.

Hello and thanks ^^

- I didn't actualy need to remove anything, but I did remove the audio ons for the sake of it and to ease the audio in and out connection. It wasn't strictly necessary though.

- I made it myself

- I didn't really change anything, just be sure to keep the ferrite ring close to the main unit if you want to avoid electrical noise

- Sawing off the original ports of a genuine motherboard would be a GREAT thing... Try it out and become my new hero ;)

pirloui

pirloui

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
You could cut off the whole mother board border where the ports are, that way they will be perfectly solid, aligned and original...

amd_sony

amd_sony

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

You could cut off the whole mother board border where the ports are, that way they will be perfectly solid, aligned and original...

Great idea Pirloui! I'm off to get a Dremmel.

Torque: I found the Liberty power supply but it is a 620W model (DXX ELT620AWT). Is that the same as yours?

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

I am looking for a while for a non working original G5 Mobo to reuse the back connections. :(

amd_sony

amd_sony

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
I've scanned the ports area of the mobo, both top and bottom. I've highlighted areas of interest. How to I go identifying the correct pin outs?

Project finally starts tomorrow when I get the mobo. Can't wait.

Attached Files

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

I've scanned the ports area of the mobo, both top and bottom. I've highlighted areas of interest. How to I go identifying the correct pin outs?

Project finally starts tomorrow when I get the mobo. Can't wait.

Ace! Can't wait to see the results!

I might rework my machine like that too!

pirloui

pirloui

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
Looks good amd_sony, after seeing your post I went straight to eBay, but no motherboard luck. Would really be nice to avoid the complications of finding and fitting other receptacles / female ports.

mspr

mspr

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Hello, I did it. I used my not working G5 mainboard
You have to remove all the condensators, SMD and resistances near connectors, too.
I suggest you to try with another old mainboard: it's not very easy to solder the little pinouts.

How to I go identifying the correct pin outs?

To identify the correct pinouts you can use a tester, an electronic device like this

Posted ImagePosted Image

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Hello, I did it. I used my not working G5 mainboard
You have to remove all the condensators, SMD and resistances near connectors, too.
I suggest you to try with another old mainboard: it's not very easy to solder the little pinouts.

To identify the correct pinouts you can use a tester, an electronic device like this

Posted ImagePosted Image

Why is that ? Just to make more room free around the connectors or to avoid any interferences ?

amd_sony

amd_sony

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
:rolleyes:

Looks good amd_sony, after seeing your post I went straight to eBay, but no motherboard luck. Would really be nice to avoid the complications of finding and fitting other receptacles / female ports.

I cheated with my G5 case mod. I exposed the back of the case to access the mobo ports [pics forthcoming]. Let me know if you'd like me to send you the G5 mobo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy