• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Any updates torque? i'd like to see more pictures of your work :)

Thanks for the interest :-)

The answer is: YES. I'm setting up these modifications to the case at the moment:

- Add a hybrid USB2/Firewire hub internally, in the power supply area, so that I can only use one USB and one FW internal plugs and all the ports of the case will be perfectly working without cluttering wires and cables.

- Add a hard drive bracket in the front part. Not sure whether to add a 3.5" or a 2.5" for SSD drives, I'll see about that!

Stay tuned uh? :)

jricks92

jricks92

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
UPDATE for me!!

Posted Image

I took out the crappy wireless that comes with the p5w and bought myself a shiny new Belkin Wireless G card!

Posted Image

I added two usb ports and the firewire 400 port! I still need a firewire 800 port and a toslink coupler for the surround sound. I'm quite satisfied with my current setup though so i probably won't get those things for a while cuz i'm lazy... ;)

Posted Image

Here's what it looks like without the mobo in there.

Posted Image

Excuse my mess inside! i have so many wires i don't know what to do!!

Posted Image

Still no firewire from front panel though... I only have one connector on my mobo.

jricks92

jricks92

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I finally got some proper cooling installed. I bought 4 noctua fans. I've only installed 2 of them but my overall temperatures of everything have dropped over 10ÂșC! Its amazing! Maybe i will post pics soon.

Harloe

Harloe

InsanelyMac Geek

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I'm building a PC in the coming month or two for gaming and FL Studio in a Coolermaster Cosmos S case, still primarily using my MacBook Pro as I prefer OS X over Windows. I was going to do a G5 Hack last year but decided against it because I was worried I'd have to Dremel the back. I didn't really want to cut ANYTHING on the G5 case and I am still very confused about what exactly you've used in terms of receptacles.

Did you just glue a receptacle onto the rear I/O panel and run the other end into the motherboard where a usb cable would usually plug into? So a Male to Female receptacle?

Also did you glue the female end onto a plate first and then onto the I/O panel or just glue it straight to the I/O panel.

Any closer pictures or more input would really help me out as I do want to mod a G5 case someday! Perhaps build a cheap Hack for File Storage!

Thanks!

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
AUGUST UPDATE:

I'm (finally) going holidays tomorrow, and will bring my Fluff with me.

I intend to add a RAID rack and a hybrid hub to remove once and for all the cable clutter behind the motherboard. I will also redo the internal wiring using better and thicker shielded cables to avoind electric noise and all.

In september I also decided to order a custom aluminium grill to place on the raid rack and processor, i just need to figure it out how to use the blasted 3d program for the blueprints :D

I'll be back in about 20 days, pics will follow!

/Aloha

jricks92

jricks92

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I'm building a PC in the coming month or two for gaming and FL Studio in a Coolermaster Cosmos S case, still primarily using my MacBook Pro as I prefer OS X over Windows. I was going to do a G5 Hack last year but decided against it because I was worried I'd have to Dremel the back. I didn't really want to cut ANYTHING on the G5 case and I am still very confused about what exactly you've used in terms of receptacles.

Did you just glue a receptacle onto the rear I/O panel and run the other end into the motherboard where a usb cable would usually plug into? So a Male to Female receptacle?

Also did you glue the female end onto a plate first and then onto the I/O panel or just glue it straight to the I/O panel.

Any closer pictures or more input would really help me out as I do want to mod a G5 case someday! Perhaps build a cheap Hack for File Storage!
Thanks!

Like i said in another topic, just take a look at frontx.com. they have all the necessary receptacles for usb, firewire 400, and audio. Thats where i got my stuff from. For ethernet i just got an LAN joiner from my local computer shop and cut it in half and then soldered a short ethernet cable onto both halfs of the joiner. this makes it so i have dual ethernet ports. Hope that makes sense. If you have any more questions just ask (i.e. what exact parts did i use).

Also, i just glued my ports directly to the case, but TorqueX86 used a metal plate for his.

As for usb/firewire. I wouldn't plug the usb/firewire into the back of the motherboard. Use an internal motherboard connector like this:
Posted Image Posted Image

All i did to make them fit into the small space between the case and the mobo was cut off the black plastic part with an Xacto knife so it was just the actual connecter and the wires connected to it. Don't know if that makes sense but if i can i will post more pics.

Cheers!
~bmxer55

P.S. Torque: Sorry if you feel like i'm taking over your thread! I don't mean to!

teknojunkie

teknojunkie

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 829 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Coding, Skateboarding, Snowboarding, Video Games
one more question torque

how did you use the original power cable up for the sata drives and the cd drive, (8 pin or 6 pin connector i think)?

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
amantheboy,
check post 15 in my thread : http://forum.insanel...o...=93600&st=0

you'll find pictures and infos

teknojunkie

teknojunkie

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 829 posts
thx baudouin

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

one more question torque

how did you use the original power cable up for the sata drives and the cd drive, (8 pin or 6 pin connector i think)?

Well, there are 2 versions of the G5 case, the PCI64 and the PCI-E one. I have the latter, and that one uses a small 4-pin cable, that was very easily adapted to fit into one fo the power sockets of my power supply.

The PCI64 version has a special connector, you can make a customised and perfectly fitting cable by cutting up a normal ATX power connector using the 6 (was it 6 or 8?) matching holes. I did so with my first G5 case and worked perfectly.

Hope that helps!

PS. New pictures of my Fluff Pro RAID soon.

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Well, there are 2 versions of the G5 case, the PCI64 and the PCI-E one. I have the latter, and that one uses a small 4-pin cable, that was very easily adapted to fit into one fo the power sockets of my power supply.

The PCI64 version has a special connector, you can make a customised and perfectly fitting cable by cutting up a normal ATX power connector using the 6 (was it 6 or 8?) matching holes. I did so with my first G5 case and worked perfectly.

Hope that helps!

PS. New pictures of my Fluff Pro RAID soon.

Yes indeed, have just given a try with an old psu connector with the PCI64 version and I can connect the two connectors (I used two of them in my G5 case) . With the psu plug positionned like the plastic piece above, I use the first 8 connectors for one plug, skip two connectors and use the 8 following ones. Will take the time to pics when I wake up before living for my last night shift. Far more easy than to customize an 4 ATX plug. Thanks a lot TorqueX86 :)

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
At the moment I am removing the useless connectors on my motherboard. By doing so I am ensuring more space and less clutter inside the case.

Attached File  DSC00095.JPG   209.11KB   152 downloads

aqua-mac

aqua-mac

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
Hey Torque,

How are you removing the sockets? I have done it before with a soldering iron, but I always worry that that will overheat the board. Perhaps I need a higher wattage soldering iron so I don't have to leave it on the board for so long.

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
Here come the pics :
connecting the two PCI64 plugs onto the ATX mobo plug with plastic piece above skipping the middel connectors and leaving the last connectors free :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now, just cut the wires and solder with cables connected with two molex

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Hey Torque,

How are you removing the sockets? I have done it before with a soldering iron, but I always worry that that will overheat the board. Perhaps I need a higher wattage soldering iron so I don't have to leave it on the board for so long.

It's not easy at all. I use a professional soldering gun with a very tiny incandescent needle that melts the lead around the pin, and with another tool I suck it out before it hardens again. (and I swear to gawd no pun intended at all in this last and very ambiguous statement! :D )

aqua-mac

aqua-mac

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
Ha Ha, yes, that could be misconstrued! I don't suppose you could find a similar pic to your soldering iron? I am in the market for a new one and have been wondering what to get. Thanks for your trouble.

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Ha Ha, yes, that could be misconstrued! I don't suppose you could find a similar pic to your soldering iron? I am in the market for a new one and have been wondering what to get. Thanks for your trouble.

There you go buddy. The beast heats way more and way better than its relatively mild and anonymous appearance suggests... The other tool is the sucker that removes instantly the molten lead.

Attached Files

aqua-mac

aqua-mac

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
Thanks Torque,

That certainly looks more serious than the iron I've been using. Now I have a better idea of what get, I like the solder removal tool to, will definitely give that a go. Thanks for your time!

Regards.

TorqueX86

TorqueX86

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Thanks Torque,

That certainly looks more serious than the iron I've been using. Now I have a better idea of what get, I like the solder removal tool to, will definitely give that a go. Thanks for your time!

Regards.

The other tool is absolutely indispensable if you want to remove I/O on your motherboard... If the molten lead moves a nanometre to the left or to the right it might hit a condenser or something and make it completely unusable...

Tomorrow more pics of the all new Fluff

teknojunkie

teknojunkie

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 829 posts
cant wait for the pics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy