Torque's Ultimate Mod, NOW FULL ATX!

TorqueX86

106 posts in this topic

Well, there are 2 versions of the G5 case, the PCI64 and the PCI-E one. I have the latter, and that one uses a small 4-pin cable, that was very easily adapted to fit into one fo the power sockets of my power supply.

The PCI64 version has a special connector, you can make a customised and perfectly fitting cable by cutting up a normal ATX power connector using the 6 (was it 6 or 8?) matching holes. I did so with my first G5 case and worked perfectly.

Hope that helps!

PS. New pictures of my Fluff Pro RAID soon.

Yes indeed, have just given a try with an old psu connector with the PCI64 version and I can connect the two connectors (I used two of them in my G5 case) . With the psu plug positionned like the plastic piece above, I use the first 8 connectors for one plug, skip two connectors and use the 8 following ones. Will take the time to pics when I wake up before living for my last night shift. Far more easy than to customize an 4 ATX plug. Thanks a lot TorqueX86 :)

Hey Torque,

How are you removing the sockets? I have done it before with a soldering iron, but I always worry that that will overheat the board. Perhaps I need a higher wattage soldering iron so I don't have to leave it on the board for so long.

Here come the pics :

connecting the two PCI64 plugs onto the ATX mobo plug with plastic piece above skipping the middel connectors and leaving the last connectors free :

img5399vv1.jpg

img5397my9.jpg

Now, just cut the wires and solder with cables connected with two molex

Hey Torque,

How are you removing the sockets? I have done it before with a soldering iron, but I always worry that that will overheat the board. Perhaps I need a higher wattage soldering iron so I don't have to leave it on the board for so long.

It's not easy at all. I use a professional soldering gun with a very tiny incandescent needle that melts the lead around the pin, and with another tool I suck it out before it hardens again. (and I swear to gawd no pun intended at all in this last and very ambiguous statement! :D )

Ha Ha, yes, that could be misconstrued! I don't suppose you could find a similar pic to your soldering iron? I am in the market for a new one and have been wondering what to get. Thanks for your trouble.

There you go buddy. The beast heats way more and way better than its relatively mild and anonymous appearance suggests... The other tool is the sucker that removes instantly the molten lead.

post-64487-1219929674_thumb.jpg

post-64487-1219929705_thumb.jpg

Thanks Torque,

That certainly looks more serious than the iron I've been using. Now I have a better idea of what get, I like the solder removal tool to, will definitely give that a go. Thanks for your time!

Regards.

Thanks Torque,

That certainly looks more serious than the iron I've been using. Now I have a better idea of what get, I like the solder removal tool to, will definitely give that a go. Thanks for your time!

Regards.

The other tool is absolutely indispensable if you want to remove I/O on your motherboard... If the molten lead moves a nanometre to the left or to the right it might hit a condenser or something and make it completely unusable...

Tomorrow more pics of the all new Fluff

As promised, here's the visual update.

Pic n.1 is the new rework of the audio analogue I/O, this way there's a LOT more space for the rear ports to breathe.

Pic n.2 is the new firewire and USB2 hub hidden in the power supply area.

Pic n.3 shows how less cluttered the area behind the motherboard now is, and those wires will also soon disappear!

Enjoy, some more pics very soon!

post-64487-1220020687_thumb.jpg

post-64487-1220020702_thumb.jpg

post-64487-1220020719_thumb.jpg

Here's my latest victim:

I ripped the guts of a SAS HD box, and adapted it inside my case. It will later on be connected to some raid card, most likely to be a Highpoint connected to 4x SSD in RAID0

Moreover, the cable clutter is now gone :o the motherboard sits in and slips out really easily now.

I also added an extra PCI-E GFX power cable, courtesy of my good buddy Roberto, for future upgrades.

Anyway, here is the SATA board, soon more pics:

post-64487-1220280257_thumb.jpg

post-64487-1220280330_thumb.jpg

Here's my latest victim:

I ripped the guts of a SAS HD box, and adapted it inside my case. It will later on be connected to some raid card, most likely to be a Highpoint connected to 4x SSD in RAID0

Moreover, the cable clutter is now gone :) the motherboard sits in and slips out really easily now.

I also added an extra PCI-E GFX power cable, courtesy of my good buddy Roberto, for future upgrades.

Anyway, here is the SATA board, soon more pics:

Waouh, you lost me here TorqueX86, this too hightech . I cannot follow anymore... ;)

Congratz for the cable clutter disapearance.

New Pics!

As I said, I am totally reworking my baby to (finally!!!!) host a full ATX board. Gone is the grief looking for an expandable and feature rich motherboard.. I have all I need now! *grin*

Here are the pics of the reworked, more compact and cable-clutter free Power Supply and the a pic of the brand new slurpalicious X48 motherboard sitting in his comfortable and spacious aluminium throne :(

Enjoy

post-64487-1221667071_thumb.jpg

post-64487-1221667091_thumb.jpg

As I said, I am totally reworking my baby to (finally!!!!) host a full ATX board. Gone is the grief looking for an expandable and feature rich motherboard.. I have all I need now! *grin*

Nice Torque!! I like it! Decided to go full ATX like me? I knew you would haha jk! :) I like how yours is SOO much cleaner than mine though!! I can't wait to see pictures when it's completely finished! Keep updates of your progress! I've been working on mine to try and clear up the cable clutter. Its taking me a while but its finally looks a little bit under control in there :)

Nice Torque!! I like it! Decided to go full ATX like me? I knew you would haha jk! :) I like how yours is SOO much cleaner than mine though!! I can't wait to see pictures when it's completely finished! Keep updates of your progress! I've been working on mine to try and clear up the cable clutter. Its taking me a while but its finally looks a little bit under control in there :)

Try using flat cables, they are much easier to manage. You can get plenty by vandalising old IDE ribbon cables... Easy!