Quicksilver G4 Power button/LED pinouts

The Shaun

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I'm in dire need of the pinouts for the plug that connects to the front panel LED/power button (then plugs into the mobo). Does anyone have a Power Mac G4 ASM on hand that can check for me? Maybe someone knows it off hand? I'm giving my second hackintosh a nice home. :D

• 2 weeks later...
split the front panel cable or add wire from the 3rd and 6th pin to the power/gnd of the mobo

Hi i am doing the same thing as well. Do we need to solder too? I am a complete noob at wiring. YOu mean if we wanna start up our PC mobo with apple switch, we just connect wires from pins 6 and 3 and to the motherboard power pins? Is it possible to do it without soldering? Just wrap the wire around the pin somehow? Thanks

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you do a google search like this

site:xlr8yourmac.com atx g4

you should be able to find what you need. They'll be doing the opposite of what we're doing, so just do it backwards.

I tried to make it work on my quicksilver case, but it didn't work. I suspect that the front panel board needs to have the right current/signals going to the other pins besides 6 and 3 in order to work properly. I ended up cutting the switches and the led off of the board, soldering wires to them, and then sticking them back on the board, without using any of the electronics on the board at all man.

• 1 month later...
I tried to make it work on my quicksilver case, but it didn't work. I suspect that the front panel board needs to have the right current/signals going to the other pins besides 6 and 3 in order to work properly. I ended up cutting the switches and the led off of the board, soldering wires to them, and then sticking them back on the board, without using any of the electronics on the board at all man.

This is what I'm aiming to do, just wire it off the power switch logic board and onto standard mobo panel wires. Can you post a pic of your logic board and which wires you used for which pins on the mobo?

• 5 months later...

IMG_1084.jpg

that's the kind of mod you'll have to do, rewiring the ribbon cable will not work for you. You need to just solder new leads into the existing PCB (plastic component board) and connect the new leads to your motherboard.

Power-Board---Front-Face.jpg

Power-Board-Back-LED-Conect.jpg

the first picture is of my hack, the second two pictures were what I used as a guide. These pictures are for a G3, however I'm fairly certain the G4/Quicksilver models are not very different. This isn't really a beginners type of task, if you've never used a soldering iron, you should get comfortable with it before working on this, due to it's physical size. I've burned myself 3 times with a soldering iron, so i know what working in small places causes.

I do have more in-depth pictures, but i'll wait for people to find interest in this before i post them all.

• Like 1