Anyone know of a PCI SATA Card that's supported?

65 posts in this topic

Has anyone seen a PCI SATA card that works well with OSX86? Is there one that works natively or with some patching???

Thanks.

-AJ

EDIT: I've found this on the Wiki:

Q: Which SATA controllers work?

A: Working extensions for SATA are:

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

ICH5 Serial ATA Controller

ICH6 Serial ATA Controller

ICH6-M Serial ATA Controller

AppleVIAATA.kext

VIA SATA Controller

8237 SATA

nForce3/4 (need to edit above kext with device ID's)

SO, I suppose I need a PCI Sata card with one of those chipsets. It seems that every card uses the SiliconImage or at least that it's very popular.

I have been scoping cards for similar reasons, as I am under nforce5 and can't get any SATA support there. Although I would be happy with PATA in UDMA mode, it would be nice to access my other hard drives. So I think there is one that uses the via chipset that may be covered. the nforce hack induces data corruption.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16815124023

Looks like it uses a via chipset that should be able to be made work, as shown here:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=13487

I may try it later this week. Only $19

I am not sure if I would need to do a fresh install or if I could just move my PATA hard drive over to it (I have an adapter). I am not sure if my hackintosh will be able to successfully use both the onboard PATA and the SATA card. If it can, I can boot with the card in the computer, but my HD on the PATA, apply the hack, shut down, switch my drive over, and then reboot.

Coolness. I just ordered that card. Now all I have to do is wait for FedEx to show up, lol.

Thanks for the great, quick responce and I'll be sure to let you know how it works for your rig too.

Later.

No, unfortunately the Silicon Image SATA controllers aren't yet supported.

From Incompatible hardware - OSx86:

Silicon Image (SiI) SATA controllers will not work for boot ("still waiting for root device"). Common chip on add-in SATA & RAID cards and on NForce mobos.

Hopefully, someone will be able to get them working because of their extreme popularity.

-AJ

PS: What drivers on their page are you talking about? Are you saying they'll work as a data drive, but not for booting only?

That adaptor works the other way than these guys are looking for: You attach your SATA motherboard to that, and directly connect that to your IDE hard drive.

Those adaptors have been around since SATA came into existence; I think I got two with my first SATA motherboard.

@Ankle:

Wouldn't a SATA to IDE adapter be a simple solution for this? Here is the first one I found googling when trying to get OS X working on my nForce4: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=A-...330&cat=CCD

That's close, but exactly the opposite of what I would need. I found a good deal on a 300GB SATA Maxtor drive and I want it to work with OSx86.

Thx for trying though :D

It looks like the company might make adaptors which work both ways - If you look at the packaging, there's two spots they mark the package at. Even so, I haven't heard of any motherboard IDE to hard drive SATA adaptors before. It would defeat the purpose of using SATA (aka faster HDD speed), and PATA hard drives are still cheaper than SATA.

Well I have a empty 320gb sata drive that I was planning to install OS X on before I found out about the corruption with nForce4's sata controller and I have no spare PCI slots for another controller. I found the same adapter elsewhere for $12 so I think I'll give it a try. Being USPS to Canada it might be awhile, but I'll post if it works out or not.

I have used one of the Motherboard IDE to SATA drive adapter and I will tell you now that it works great, though because my IDE controller is not fully compatible and uses AppleGenericATA.kext, I am limited to only seeing 128GB of my 300GB and 250GB drives. This is I believe the fault of the AppleGenericATA.kext and not the adapter. My guess is that if you have a recognized IDE controller, this adapter will work perfectly.

I'm still waiting for the card to arrive from NewEgg. I just ordered it on Sunday, so I hope it'll get here tonight or tomorrow. I'll be SURE to post my results as soon as I can.

@ Black Knight, which IDE to SATA adapter do you have? Where did you buy it? I think many people can benefit from your answer.

On second thought, http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=A-...330&cat=CCD just MIGHT work. At first look, I thought the circuit board that the IDE part is on would block the other IDE port on the motherboard, but I could be wrong. Someone want to try this specific adapter out??? If for some reason my PCI SATA card doesn't work, I'll be ordering one of those, lol.

Thanks to everyone,

-AJ

I'm still waiting for the card to arrive from NewEgg. I just ordered it on Sunday, so I hope it'll get here tonight or tomorrow. I'll be SURE to post my results as soon as I can.

@ Black Knight, which IDE to SATA adapter do you have? Where did you buy it? I think many people can benefit from your answer.

On second thought, http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=A-...330&cat=CCD just MIGHT work. At first look, I thought the circuit board that the IDE part is on would block the other IDE port on the motherboard, but I could be wrong. Someone want to try this specific adapter out??? If for some reason my PCI SATA card doesn't work, I'll be ordering one of those, lol.

Thanks to everyone,

-AJ

The one you just posted a link to will not work. That one is the SATA controller to IDE device. The nice thing about that one is if you only have SATA like I do and want to use an IDE device at fast speeds. This works great for my DVD burner that couldn't burn anything on IDE since the transfer rate was only 3MB/s.

The one you need is this one or one like it: IDE (MB) to SATA (device)

Good luck with that card, trust me I'm paying attention to your results.

I have been scoping cards for similar reasons, as I am under nforce5 and can't get any SATA support there. Although I would be happy with PATA in UDMA mode, it would be nice to access my other hard drives. So I think there is one that uses the via chipset that may be covered. the nforce hack induces data corruption.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16815124023

Looks like it uses a via chipset that should be able to be made work, as shown here:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=13487

I may try it later this week. Only $19

I am not sure if I would need to do a fresh install or if I could just move my PATA hard drive over to it (I have an adapter). I am not sure if my hackintosh will be able to successfully use both the onboard PATA and the SATA card. If it can, I can boot with the card in the computer, but my HD on the PATA, apply the hack, shut down, switch my drive over, and then reboot.

I've got the card now. I'm trying to follow the guide and I get to the VMWare part about making booting to the DVD to install on the new drive and I get an error. It says something to the effect of "using PAE" and sends me off to this error page. http://www.vmware.com/support/kb/enduser/s...hp?p_faqid=1539

Any ideas? I'm sooo close.

-AJ

I have had trouble. I had a working native install, so I just went ahead and added the APPLEVIAATA.kext to IOATAFamily/Contents/Plugins an deleted AppleGenericATA.kext then I reset the extensions and deleted the extensioncache files and rebooted. It is unable to find the device. This will be more involved than I was hoping.

The next step is to edit the APPLEVIAATA.kext file in Xcode to include the device ID for the card, which is 3249.

As Xcode requires osx86, first I will need to figure out how to restore AppleGenericATA.kext so that I can boot again.

An alternative would be a card with an older Via chipset that might have better odds of getting recognized by APPLEVIAATA.kext To try this it would probably be useful if someone who has working onboard SATA with a VIA controller could check to see which Via chip physically is on their motherboard, and the device ID of the controller.

I've got the card now. I'm trying to follow the guide and I get to the VMWare part about making booting to the DVD to install on the new drive and I get an error. It says something to the effect of "using PAE" and sends me off to this error page. http://www.vmware.com/support/kb/enduser/s...hp?p_faqid=1539

Any ideas? I'm sooo close.

-AJ

Try doing exactly what the error page told you to do. I don't think this has anything to do with the VIA card. PAE has to do with your CPU. What CPU do you have and what version of Windows are you running (SP2?). Did you create a new VMWare workstation for this or use an already created one?

I tried to follow the error instructions exactly, and I couldn't find the PAE thing in the config file for VMWare. I also have a fully working native install (on a completely seperate hard drive), but I'm not willing to hose it. However, I have extra drives lying around, so I'm just using extra ones right now.

I have an Intel 3.06Ghz P4, 533 Mhz FSB in a Asus P4G8X Deluxe Motherboard.

WinXP SP2 (genuine), OSX 10.4.5

EDIT: I got the PAE thing worked out. It was too late for me last night to follow those directions clearly. For anyone who has this problem in the furture, the PAE .vmx file edit that the error msg tells you to do does the trick.

Ya, I'm having the strangest problems. I haven't worked with SATA a bunch, but I can't seem to get my box to even boot to CD with the new PCI card in. It's quite confusing... Have you had luck booting to your normal drives with the new card in?

I am still having more basic problems though. When I have the new PCI card in, I can't even boot to a CD or DVD. I've also been messing around with an option in my BIOS (Asus P4G8X Deluxe motherboard) that makes onboard ATA boot first or second. It seem no matter what I do, I get a blinking cursor when trying to boot with the new card in. Can anyone else boot with it?

AJ7

Put Vendor_ID and Device_ID to Info.plist in AppleVIAATA.kext:

1) open terminal

2) sudo -s (enter your password if need)

3) cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents

4) nano Info.plist

5) Now need to add your id in the "VIA SATA Controller" not in the "VIA PATA Controller"

<key>VIA SATA Controller</key> <-----LOOK HERE VIA SATA

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleVIAATA</string>

<key>Hardware Name</key>

<string>8237 SATA</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x31491106</string> <------- HERE PUT YOURS ID

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<string>1000</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

<true/>

6) save and exit

7) chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext

8) chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext

9) cd /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins

10) and move out AppleGenericATA.kext

11) rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

12) rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

13) kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

14) reboot

OS X recognise your VIA PCI SATA card or not?