Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection - Ethernet doesn't work

Mebster

16 posts in this topic

When my Thomson SpeedTouch 330 wouldn't work everyone told me to go and get an Ethernet modem instead. So I borrowed my mates NETGEAR wireless router with modem built in which uses an Ethernet connection. I then came to realise OSX 10.4.5 wasn't reading my Ethernet card.

It's an Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection.

If I can't find a usb modem that works and can't use an Ethernet modem either I’m ...well you know what I mean. :)

Anyone know how to make this work? Or have any other ideas?

Any help would be great. :)

I've read that i need some IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.3.

Is this right?

I don't have 10.4.3 so would someone please send me this?

And can someone please tell me what i need to do with it?

Thanks for any help ;)

• 3 weeks later...
For those of you who're having their network sys pref pane crash with the 10.4.3 kext, do this. It fixed mine, I'm using a generic Realtek 8139.. dunno if it'll work for other cards.

You'll need a copy of:

1. IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.3

2. IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.4/5.

Instructions:

1. Open up the kext from 10.4.3 (right click, show package contents.)

2. Open Contents/PlugIns/(Relevant Kext)/MacOS/(driver thing's name?)

--- For me, it was Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext/MacOS/AppleRTL8139Ethernet

3. Copy the file into the exact same location, in the 10.4.4/5 kext.

--- I did this by logging in as "root".. old trick from the 10.4.1 days. See footnote for instructions.

4. In Terminal, do the same old chown/chmod ritual.

--- chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

--- chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

5. Reboot with -v. (Or not.)

Footnotes:

-- Enabling "root" User --

1. Log in on any account with Admin privilegdes.

2. Start the NetInfo Manager, which is in the Application/Utilities folder.

3. From the top menu bar pull down the "Security" item and select "Enable root user". You will have to enter the administrator's password to authenticate yourself.

4. Logout. Click "Other", and log in.

I don't know what i would use on Instruction 2. for Relevant Kext. As mentioned I have an Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection. When I go into plugIns I get this (shown under windows):

All I can guess is that it must be either AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext or AppleIntel8255x.kext.

Anyone have any idea of what it might be?

there should be a torrent in the bay that has all 10.4.3 kexts.

I have this same network card, you just replace the kext and do "sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext" you dont really gotta do chmod(I never had to, and worked perfectly) and then reboot

Thanks for trying to help but what I need help in is what do I select for “Relevant Kext” under

2. Open Contents/PlugIns/(Relevant Kext)/MacOS/(driver thing's name?).

From the options I get, it seems it might be either AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext or AppleIntel8255x.kext. But I just don't know.

------------------

Also do you just type out the whole of "chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext" in terminal and hit enter? Is that how it works?

Have you edited the kext and added the vendor id yet? I did this with a Dell 5150 with Intel Pro VE and it worked.

"Need to add 0x10928086 to IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleIntel8255X/Contents/Info.plist"

That was actually taken from the HCL list. After you edit the file do a repair permissions and reboot.

Dude I don’t think you fully understand.

The guy says:

2. Open Contents/PlugIns/(Relevant Kext)/MacOS/(driver thing's name?)

--- For me, it was Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext/MacOS/AppleRTL8139Ethernet

3. Copy the file into the exact same location, in the 10.4.4/5 kext.

For me to get the right file I need to know the right (Relevant Kext) for my Ethernet card. So that I can then copy the file to the same location on the current 10.4.5 system. The problem is I don’t know what file to copy.

The files that I get for the (Relevant Kext) are as follows:

Apple3Com3C90x.kext

Apple_DEC21x4Ethernet.kext

AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext

AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext

AppleBMacEthernet.kext

AppleDP83816Ethernet.kext

AppleGMACEthernet.kext

AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext

AppleIntel8255x.kext

AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

For the other guy it was AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext. As I’ve said I have an “Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection” so I’m guessing for me it has to be either AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext or AppleIntel8255x.kext.

Does anyone know if it’s either of these or anything else?

EDIT: iron thanks for your reply mate. Seems like you have the same card as me and so I will try and give AppleIntel8255X a go. Can you just tell me what is a "repair permissions"? Is that something the system will ask me to do when I make the change (a bit like a save) or do I have to go somewhere to do that?

Thanks.

iron I have to firstly say I really appreciate this help.

As I was looking through dscrap post it seems he made changes to the info.plist in AppleIntel8255x.kext (shown in red).

Small Extract

<string>0x10518086 0x10508086 0x10298086 0x10308086&0xfff0ffff 0x12098086 0x12278086 0x12288086 0x12298086 0x24498086 0x24598086 0x245d8086 0x10918086 0x27dc8086 0x10608086&0xfff0ffff</string>

I'm not sure if that's from 10.4.3 or 10.4.5. That’s a lot more than ignorantcow layer out as my quote of his shows. Also from what you've said it seems I don't need to do that. But then again the dscrap has the same audio as me it seems ("Sigmatel STAC9220") and in the 10.4.3 info.plist I have, it's missing 0x27dc8086, which is what he added. Mine ends with 0x10918086 0x10608086&0xfff0ffff</string>

So do I need to add this?

Thanks a lot.

------------------------------

PS: Just by any chance I was wondering if you had for audio a "SigmaTel STAC9220" [sigmatel HD STAC 92XX C-Major Audio (not sure what’s it’s fully called - sorry)]. I was trying to get that worked out also but my research isn't getting very far and I’ve been trying for a while now.

Yes, edit it just like he did becuse that is the missing vendor id for the Intel NIC. OSX won't see the harware without an appropriate vednor id. It works fine for 10.4.5, cus that the installation I started with. I didn't get a 10.4.3 networking kext, just edited the 10.4.5 one. I know my audio is Sigmatel , but that box isn't on to check. I used a modified 10.4.3 AppleHDA.kext dropped it in the extentions folder and did a repair permissions to get my sound working. I think if you do a search you can just download the mentioned AppleHDA.kext. It also sounds like you have a Dell E510/Dimension 5150 like I do with onboard GMA 950 graphics. If that's the case those are the only two things you need to worry about to get the box fully working.

It’s weird that the instructions from ignorantcow (the quote above) didn’t specify to add anything. topshooter and you yourself didn’t mention it either. I’m just curious why? But I will add the extra bit anyway. Thanks.

I’ve got a SigmaTel STAC9220 (or Sigmatel HD STAC 92XX C-Major Audio – not sure what’s the difference). So with this one I have to just drop the whole modified 10.4.3 AppleHDA.kext and replace the existing one 10.4.5? No adding bits of code?

When you say modified makes me wonder how I’m going to track that down. I did a search and found a few variances of the 10.4.3 AppleHDA.kext. I’ll give them a try but was wondering if you had a copy or a link of the one you used?

BTW I have a Dimension 5100. Think yours and mine are more or less the same.

Thanks again for all the help. This stuff would have taken me ages to get through without your help.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
What did you do exactly to make it work?

Well when I posted b4 I copied the kext from 10.4.3 to my 10.4.5 system. But I recently reformatted to a 10.4.6 installation and the built-in NIC did not work. So here is what I did:

1) Went to System\Library\Extensions\IONetworkingFamily.kext

2) Did Show Package Contents on the kext.

3) Went to Contents\Plugins

4) Did Show Pacakage Contents on AppleIntel8225x.kext

5) Went to Contents and copied info.plist to the desktop.

6) Opened the copied info.plist in textedit.

7) Added 0x27dc8086 to the file as noted by AcePlayer.

8) Saved the file, and copied it back to its original location. You will have to authenticate to overwrite the original.

9) Opened up disk editor and fixed permissions.

10) Rebooted. Network works!

Hope this helps.