Strange Boot Problem

real_sinjon

11 posts in this topic

I've just installed Kalyway 10.5.1 on a Thinkpad T42 and updated to 10.5.2 with the Kalyway updater but I have this really frustrating problem.

If I take the DVD out, the bootloader works fine and I get the spinning gear for about 5 minutes, then the screen turns blue, the mouse pointer appears and can be moved, but the desktop won't load.

If I leave the DVD in the drive, the GUI loads up fine, (still with the 5 minute wait).

What is on the DVD that enables the GUI to load that isn't on my hard disk?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated as I've not seen this particular problem mentioned before.

I've just installed Kalyway 10.5.1 on a Thinkpad T42 and updated to 10.5.2 with the Kalyway updater but I have this really frustrating problem.

If I take the DVD out, the bootloader works fine and I get the spinning gear for about 5 minutes, then the screen turns blue, the mouse pointer appears and can be moved, but the desktop won't load.

If I leave the DVD in the drive, the GUI loads up fine, (still with the 5 minute wait).

What is on the DVD that enables the GUI to load that isn't on my hard disk?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated as I've not seen this particular problem mentioned before.

Before anything else try booting with -f option

Ok, thanks, I tried that and it made no difference. Also tried safe boot and still couldn't get the GUI. This is not like most of the "Cant boot without DVD" problems as it boots fine and loads up right to the point where the login window should come on, but stops there.

I don't understand why the DVD makes it work, surely the system is loading it's files from the hard disk and not the DVD.

try -v and a photo

Here's a pic of the last thing I see before the screen goes blue. Hope it helps to diagnose the problem. From my limited knowledge it looks like the LoginWindow.app is not loading. A bit more info as well. The system will ONLY boot with the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD in the drive. Any other DVD Leo does not work. There must be some boot files being loaded from the DVD that have not been properly installed on the hard drive.

Thanks for your help.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll246/sinjon/T42.jpg

hmm... maybe try to replace the kernel on your installed os with the one from the dvd. afaik it uses the kernel of the dvd when u boot with the dvd in it, but im not shure

give it a try, maybe u'll be lucky :(

Happy to report I've resolved this now. I knew the Kalyway 10.5.1 dvd was a bit flaky when it came to installing a good mbr so I used the guide to installing PC_efi v8 manually and that did the trick.

Maybe I should post this elsewhere, but since updating to 10.5.2 using Kalyway's updater and then using Kalyway's 9.2.0 kernel & system kext patch, my boot time has slowed right down to about 5 minutes.

Can anyone point me to where I might a way to fix this? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
Happy to report I've resolved this now. I knew the Kalyway 10.5.1 dvd was a bit flaky when it came to installing a good mbr so I used the guide to installing PC_efi v8 manually and that did the trick.

Maybe I should post this elsewhere, but since updating to 10.5.2 using Kalyway's updater and then using Kalyway's 9.2.0 kernel & system kext patch, my boot time has slowed right down to about 5 minutes.

Can anyone point me to where I might a way to fix this? Thanks.

I was getting this after installing the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 on a T42 type 2373 with ATI mobility 9600. Kalyway 10.5.2 on its own worked fine (albeit without QE/CI). I'm currently re-installing...

I have a a similar problem with an IBM Thinkpad T40 The install process completes successfully, but I can never boot into osx. It hangs with a blue screen when it should be showing the login window. in verbose mode I get the same screen shot as displayed above. Also by using -x -v to use safemode, there is no difference so I assume it is not the ati driver I selected. I am not using the vanilla kernal. this is on a Pentium M, and I had the SSE2 system selected. Also, I have 512MB RAM total, some used as AGP Video Ram, The installer says 512MB required but is that exactly? isn't 496 or so enough? I also connected an external monitor, and it is not diverting to that. (Kalyway 10.5.1)