Pre-Build Questions

6 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the scene so if I ask any stupid questions, please just stick with me.

Now, I'm looking to build my own setup running OSX v10.5.2 and wanted to check up here to see if you had any suggestions on hardware. Here's what I had in mind:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 2600XT

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.0GHz

Memory: 4GB Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2 1200

Boot Disks: 2X 10000RPM WD Raptor 36GB hard drives, one for holding OSX and another for holding Windows

Storage Disks: 3X 7200RPM WD Caviar 640GB hard drives for storing applications and data. RAID 5 (1280GB effective space)

Operating Systems: OSX86 (10.5.2), Windows running MacDrive 7 to allow access to HFS+ formatted storage drives

Comparable Mac Price: $4349.00

OSX86 Build Total: $1766.78 and some time

Has anyone had any experience with MacDrive's performance when running applications stored on an HFS+ formatted drive?

Any suggestions from anyone on what install method I should follow and what patches I should expect to need (if any)? I consulted the Wiki to build this list, but I figured I would come straight to the source for the most recent information.

Thanks,

Matt

I haven't used MacDrive in quite some time, but every version I have tried was absolute garbage. I have never been able to access my Mac partitions on any computer with MacDrive. I am sure the program works for many others, however my experience with MacDrive was nothing but negative. Good luck

I haven't used MacDrive in quite some time, but every version I have tried was absolute garbage. I have never been able to access my Mac partitions on any computer with MacDrive. I am sure the program works for many others, however my experience with MacDrive was nothing but negative. Good luck

Hmm, I wonder what could have caused it. When I used it on my XP Boot Camp Patitition to access files on the Mac portion of my drive I never had any problems. Then again, I wasn't doing anything too intensive, nothing like installing/launching Windows applications onto/from my Mac partition.