MicroATX Rig (My first)

4 posts in this topic

So I've been craving a Mac mini as my media center machine for some time now (we have an all OS X household). I just couldn't justify myself spending that much money on such an underpowered rig. I will also utilize this box to drive a projector outside of the home when necessary as well, so something relatively small but well powered is desired.

I was just wondering if someone would give me the go-ahead sort of seal of approval type of post on the following config.

GIGABYTE GA-945GCM-S2C LGA 775 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $50.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6750 - $188.99

SAPPHIRE 100207L Radeon HD 2600PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - $47.99

Kingston 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) - $74.99

Rosewill R379-SM Black/ Silver 0.8mm SGCC Steel MicroATX Slim Case Computer Case PSU ATX12V Flex 300W Power Supply - $59.99

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black PATA Model SH-S202N - $26.99

Total: $449.94

I have a spare 500GB Samsung Spinpoin-T SATA 3Gb/s drive lying around which will go in also.

Any kind words, suggestions anything is appreciated. I already downloaded the Kalyway 10.5.2 image, my concern is that from what I understand is that I need the ATIRadeonX2000_Leopard.pkg for that video card, how am I going to be able to install the system without support (I just don't understand where this comes in the sequence, do I run off of the GMA950 until I can install that pkg?). From what I understand I will use Azalia_Out.kext from the Kalyway install to make the Audio work, under the customize section of the installation.

Thanks everyone.

maybe you should check out the shuttles....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16856101059

I do like the case... I was going with the Gigabyte mobo because of its relatively good compatibility with 10.5.2 (other than audio patching). I looked on the HCL regarding the Shuttle case/mobo you suggested... and did not see it referenced, am I just missing it or is it not there?

Also, the Shuttle only supports SATA 150, I would rather go for SATA II, 300, 3Gb/s however you would like to reference it.

the 10.5.2 hasn't been updated with it yet

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph....28Barebones.29

i'm not sure about the sata 3 gb/s i believe that there is a higher end one that people are using...

enter this in google: site:forum.insanelymac.com shuttle

and start reading... reading is what brings you knowledge :)