[SOLVED] OSX86 Really Slow Booting

14 posts in this topic

Just installed Kalyway 10.5.2 but it is unbelievably slow at booting up.

It takes about 4 minutes to get past the text -verbose stage then seems to hang on a blue screen for another 5.

It did take some doing getting it installed, I had to change things in the bios such as enabling IOAPIC and disabling Hyper Threading so I think it might be a bios issue.

Just got a new board (see sig) never had this problem with my previous 915 based board.

Apart from that everything else is fine.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Running with Scissors, i have the same issue but it's 4 minutes for me.

i'm Running iATKOS v1.0ir2 on an ASUS P5W DH DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Before Kalyway's 10.5.2 updates, it used to boot up 10.5.1 in 15 - 20 sec , now after the update it takes approx 2 mins.

Let me know if you find out why it does so.

Hey Crawley. what you said completely destroys the system. The files that Kalyway put their were only for backup reasons and by putting the system.kext back after the 10.5.2 update you will have a kernel panic even before OS X starts.

The Problems is with NVjectv.41:

Without installing the NVject and installing Kalyways 10.5.2 it boots up in 18 sec, but with NVject it slow down alot. Will see if there' any updates with NVject.

same thing here, removing the NVject.kext --> boots again in no time as before.

Which 10.5.1 files will have to be put back in place for NVject workiing again also with 10.5.2?

I am not at the machine right now, but Kalyway's 10.5.2 updater also includes a folder or a zip (don't remember) with all the original ("vanilla") Apple 10.5.2 kexts, 6 or 7 of them, which he left out of the updater. Just exchanging the system.kext will result in a kernel panic, but the 10.5.1 system.kext which remains in the updated install is the culprit (don't have time to explain now how I came to know but it is). However, Mac OS x86 10.5.2 will boot fine without any NVInject, so it's just the combination of 10.5.1 system.kext + NVInject + Kalyway 10.5.2 update (+ non-Vanilla kernel ?).

Since booting without NVInject is unpreferable, there seem three ways out of this:

1) install ALL the original 10.5.2 kexts from Kalyway's 10.5.2 updater since they are intertwined

2) find a hacked 10.5.2 system.kext (should float around) if you can't use vanilla kexts

3) or simply download Kalyway most recent kernel installer kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg which contains: Modbin's 9.2.2 Intel/ AMD SSE3 kernel, original Apple 9.2 Vanilla kernel + patched 9.2.2 System.kext/ dsmos.kext - people have reported their system to boot quickly again in other threads here on the forum after applying the installer .. :)

Hello :),

Thank you Bugsy for the help!!!

I could manage to find a kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg /which contained the following:

1. kernel_vanilla (original) /efi 9.2 kernel_vanilla (the original from apple) YOU MUST HAVE INTEL MOBO AND CORE FAMILY CPU !!!!!! (pentium D dual are not support)/

and

2. kernel_Patched /by modbin/ - efi kernel_Patched (by modbin) universel amd/intel 9.2 kernel pached by modbin SSE3 amd intel compatible ! for all sse3 cpu users !!!!

I installed them both - didn't know which one and decided to put both ot them /automatic installation, nice and easy/, without touching anything else /10.5.1 + 10.5.2 kalyway update/.

In the package description it was mentioned that the package is patched and contains patched system.kext and dsmos.kext

Now The System is booting extremely fast with no strange errors /I Still use cpus=1 in order to get it work normally with no slow-downs, cut-offs n so on/. The only thing is that I get no CPU info from "About This Mac" window... Anyone knows a terminal string to get the info?

Cheers

Atanas

PS: Now I remember I replaced one kext with one BugsBunny mentions above /from the compressed folder which comes with Kalyway 10.5.2 combo_update - 10.5.2_Backup_orig & kernel_kext - AppleSMBIOS.kext/

allrightythen, glad it worked out :(

if you use the latest AppleSMBIOS.kext from Netkas (version ending with .13) you might get CPU info from "About This Mac" window back.

The only thing is that I get no CPU info from "About This Mac" window...
oops, same thing here .. ;) this is how the system profiler is looking like right now:

screenshot01fv2.png

kinda empty, isn't it :) ?

I have tried all sorts of AppleSMBIOS.kexts, none of them brings back the CPU information.

Does anyone have a clue what I need to revert to old settiings?

Thanks,

Bugs

[EDIT]: I just ran Colonel's good ole System Profiler Patch to restore full display :)