Reboots during initial text:both 10.5.1 & 10.5.2 kalyway

wassupdoc

12 posts in this topic

I have done a search of the boards and either no one has found an answer to this or people have not had the same problem. First a list of Hardware:

Dell 8300, Northwood Chip 3.0 GHz, Bios A07, Chipset 875, Radeon x1650 Pro AGP

40gb Hard Drive formatted to fat32

DVD drive is Primary and Hard Drive is Secondary

So I have attempted to install both Kalyway versions and it would just reboot each time no matter what settings. On both Kalyway, after pressing f8 I have tried various options including -v, -f, -x and various combinations of these. I have entered vanilla, speedstepkernel, sleepkernel, tohkernel(note Tohkernel on 10.5.1 and sleepkernel on 10.5.2 just bring me back to the screen asking me to press f8). In -v mode a few screens pass by but it results in a reboot while most other options/no options will cause it to reboot within a few lines. The reboot happens so fast that I couldn't read the last few lines so I had to actually record it with a video camera and are listed below(maybe a little off since the video was blurry)

NPI enhanced bootloader build:ToH

Using SMBIOS Cable found at 0x000f8438

Using ACPI RSDP revision 0 found at 0x000fsb00

I have tried adjusting my bios settings and switched the memory setting to S3 and S1 with no change. I also tried turning off various other bios settings including the legacy settings with no improve. I do not see another option for acpi in the bios.

I wanted to ask if anyone had any ideas what might be wrong and what i could do to get leapord installed. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

I have the same exact problem on mine.

I dont know of any solution either. It would be nice if Kaly would chime in on this.

I have an Optiplex GX270.

The only thing I can think of is its the PC_EFI crashing it. I've tried platform=x86pc, which disables the ACPI, still crashes.

I'm having the same problem on three of my four GX-270s. But on my 2.8 Gx-270 the installation works perfect. Check out my post over yonder and let me know what the revision number on the chip is.

I have the same exact problem on mine.

I dont know of any solution either. It would be nice if Kaly would chime in on this.

I have an Optiplex GX270.

The only thing I can think of is its the PC_EFI crashing it. I've tried platform=x86pc, which disables the ACPI, still crashes.

I have precisely the same problem. Kalyway gets through about 2-3 minutes of mkext loading, then reboots. leo4All only gets to the second mkext then reboots.

Absolutely no combination of switches at boot prompt have any effect.

Trying to install on an old spare system

Intel D865GBF

P4 2.66

1GB RAM

PATA DVD/CDRW

PATA 20GB

Radeon 9550

I had the same problem on my p4 2.66ghz with kaly 10.5.1 and 10.5.2, I downloaded iATKOS 1.0i rc2 last night off of a newsgroup and it actually gets to the install process (where you select your destination drive) but I haven't gone any farther because it was late and I needed to be at work in the morning. When I get home I'm going to try the install, I'll let you know how it goes.

Sorry for the late response, but after about a day of screwing around I got it to install! I posted this in another thread, but I figured I'd post it in here too:

Alright, Leopard will work on a P4. I finally got 10.5.1 on my comp after numerous attempts with 4 different distros.

I installed iATKOS v1.0i R2 with Intel MET bootfix with the following settings:

Boot loader: Darwin x86

Patches: sse2 sse3 kernel

Drivers: the proper nvidia and proper network drivers

just that, nothing else and it worked. Sound, network, usb, all perfect. And it's blazing fast.

Well, its not all perfect, it wont boot unless the install dvd is in, but whatever not that big of a deal. And if I want windows xp to boot, I just take the dvd out. Easy.

system:

p4 2.66ghz sse2 nonhpet NO SSE3

Gigabyte 81848p-G F5

1.5 GB ram

• 1 month later...
I'm having the same problem on three of my four GX-270s. But on my 2.8 Gx-270 the installation works perfect. Check out my post over yonder and let me know what the revision number on the chip is.

I have the same problem. The last line that loads has something to do with ACPI then the computer reboots.

Any solutions yet?

• 2 weeks later...

All,

I have seen the same reboot issue posted here and on other websites so I am posting the solution everywhere.

I had the same problem with rebooting during the kernel load from the (numerious versions of 10.5.2) install DVD.   I had a GX270 with a 2.4ghz CPU w/ SSE2.    I replaced the CPU  with a 3.0ghz SSE3-capable CPU. The installers' kernels now load and I can install to completion.  Make sure you are updated to version '07' BIOS firmware to support newer CPU's!

Even though the 10.5.2 installers say (SSE2/SSE3) I don't think they are loading a SSE2-only kernel during installation...  I **believe** it requires SSE3.

The proof is that the only change I made was to replace the CPU.  No BIOS or other changes were made.

On the GX270,  it uses a Socket-480.  It is very easy to replace the chip.  No tools are required except thermal paste.

After the (sucessful) installation, the GX270 has sound and non-QE graphics.

Caveat: I am now having problems when running web browsers (safari & opera) - they are causing the kernel to panick and reboot the system.  Unknown if this i

a network driver issue or a graphics driver problem.

I have tried the onboard Video and a GeForce FX5500.

The network driver appears to negotiate the FI correctly and can get a DHCP lease so it's ok at least to that point.

The browsers will pull down a page or two before I get the dreaded darkened screen informing me that I must hold down the power button to reboot.

I am going to see if I can load a different network driver for the onboard NIC or move to a PCI-based NIC.