How to know if speedstep is working?

TotoyMola

10 posts in this topic

well visually i have no idea, but my laptop was running kinda warm before i installed speedstep, now its installed, strange but true, my hp530 is the same temperature as when its turned off, unless the bottom vent is blocked if i have it on the sofa. so i know its working now :D

I am using vanilla kernel. I know of course it has speedstep + sleep, but sleep doesnt work for me. Does not bother me that much. But speedstep really is important for me.

We need to find an app in mac that will show live cpu freq. I tried iStats in dashboard, but it doesnt report cpu freq.

• 1 month later...

okay, i think i may have found a way, not perfect, but a way.

First, run windows and use cpuz and HWmonitor (hardware monitor from cpuz team too) to detect speedstep freq and temperature of lower freq cpu step.

Then, run MacOS and leave it idle and check the temperature. I dont think i need to explain further.

Question: how the heck we gonna get cpu temperature in MacOS?

i tried CoreDuoTemp, but it doest work, giving me "Cant make "ys" into type real."

• 2 months later...

guys,

i have asus f3e. it`s kind of cool laptop at all. no noisy fans, no big temperatures.

im running kalyway 10.5.3. with 9.3.0 speedstep kernel from #10.5

i cant find out is speedstep working now or not. my laptop doesnt feel any hotter or any cooler.

i also cant hear any different noise from the fans. TemperatureMonitor doesnt work, says i have

very serious problem with the speech system and it wont start because of this (?!?!).

so, im asking again - how can i determine if speedstep is working at the moment?

how do you see cpu frequency in mac os?

AFAIK speedstep is NOT working on hackintoshes. The AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext, which has the function of throttle the CPU's freq, doesnt work on most of hacks (usually is disabled because kernel panics). When idle the temperature will go down anyway because de CPU isnt loaded but the frequency/voltage will stay the same unless you use a speedstep kernel (ToH 9.2.0) together with the sppedstep app and the ACPICPUThrottle.kext. Now theres a new kext being developed which allow to throttle on vanilla kernels (unpatched). It also can undervolt the CPU. Is working really good. Check it out:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=119370

There's also another option: Coolbook. Is an ok util but it doesnt work with every machine, and it cost 10$.