Random Crashes with an AMD64?

2 posts in this topic

I currently have a hackint0sh rig, with the following specs:

Asus M2N-SLI DELUXE NForce MCP 55 Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+

6GiB DDR2 Ram

2 320 GiB Hard Drives (Both Seagates, one for Linux, one for mac) - the Linux one attached to the JMicron AHCI SATA controller,

and the Mac One hooked into the nForce controller.

Marvell Yukon (3Com 940) PCI Network Board

On-board audio for Mac, Audigy2 for Linux.

My current installation was performed with Zepyroth 10.5.2 AmD REV 2 DVD.

I'm booting via Grub on the linux drive, which loads grub in the mac drive which loads EFI boot_v8 THEN Darwin.

My current Kernel is ToH 9.2.2 Fresh from the forums.

Now, the machine runs -very- well, and if i do not touch it too much (say, watch a few DVDs) The machine will -not- crash.

The problem is that when I start Adobe Photoshop CS3 and begin putting the machine under heavy load (saving a 100MiB PNG file, for instance), the machine -may- crash with the infamous "You need to restart your machine" bulls***t. I tried to use cpus=1 to boot, but to no avail.

Another odd thing, my BIOS reports my "maximum available ram" as less than 6120 MB, in fact it reports it as 59... something MB.

Now, would anyone happen to know where this odd crashes are coming from? Or what I could try to make the machine stable?

Thank you!

I currently have a hackint0sh rig, with the following specs:

Asus M2N-SLI DELUXE NForce MCP 55 Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+

6GiB DDR2 Ram

2 320 GiB Hard Drives (Both Seagates, one for Linux, one for mac) - the Linux one attached to the JMicron AHCI SATA controller,

and the Mac One hooked into the nForce controller.

Marvell Yukon (3Com 940) PCI Network Board

On-board audio for Mac, Audigy2 for Linux.

My current installation was performed with Zepyroth 10.5.2 AmD REV 2 DVD.

I'm booting via Grub on the linux drive, which loads grub in the mac drive which loads EFI boot_v8 THEN Darwin.

My current Kernel is ToH 9.2.2 Fresh from the forums.

Now, the machine runs -very- well, and if i do not touch it too much (say, watch a few DVDs) The machine will -not- crash.

The problem is that when I start Adobe Photoshop CS3 and begin putting the machine under heavy load (saving a 100MiB PNG file, for instance), the machine -may- crash with the infamous "You need to restart your machine" bulls***t. I tried to use cpus=1 to boot, but to no avail.

Another odd thing, my BIOS reports my "maximum available ram" as less than 6120 MB, in fact it reports it as 59... something MB.

Now, would anyone happen to know where this odd crashes are coming from? Or what I could try to make the machine stable?

Thank you!

Haven't had that problem myself but I've seen other posts similar, try removing some Ram. There was an issue with some systems using 4gb+ and removing a stick was the easiest way to diagnose it. I assume your using 3 x 2Gb sticks? Try dropping down to 2gb and if it solves the crashing then you've identified the problem and can search the forums for a more suitable solution than losing 2/3rd's of memory!

I'm no expert on this particular issue but I hope it helps. Good luck :unsure: