GA-P35-DS3L usb stopped working after 10.5.2!

5 posts in this topic

Which kernel version are you using? When I updated to the netkas 9.2.0 kernel, my USB ports stopped working. Well, I had to boot with the usb devices for the system to recognize them (btw using an Abit iP35 Pro). Ultimately, I went on the IRC channel and downloaded the 9.1 kernel and the usb ports started working again. At present, my kernel version says "Darwin 9.2.2" though I don't remember doing another kernel update. btw, I installed Leopard using iAtkos r3 and updated to 10.5.2 via kalyway as well. I've done all the updates except the Leopard Graphics Update b/c I think it caused problems the last time I tried it (plus my 8800gts is working fine and everything is stable). Did you do the Graphics update?

im pretty sure im using the 9.2.0 kernel, ill try booting with the 9.1. My sleep broke with 9.2 anyway, so maybe this will fix it.

I did install the graphics update. Ill try switching the kernel and if that doesnt do it i'll just have to re-install and make sure i dont install the graphics fix.

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

hey. just wanted to let you know that i had this problem too on the new kalyway 10.5.2 disc and my GA-P35-DS3L. I can't really say what fixed it, but i think it has something to do with either the number of usb ports plugged in at runtime or the type.

for example, if i have only a mouse and keyboard usb plugged in PnP USB does not work. However, if I have 5 or so plugged in when i start (a printer, a usb MIDI input device, and a webcam, along with mouse and keyboard) it magically does. I'm not sure if this is because of the number or because i have something in my ports that's communicating with OSX and somehow properly loading the drivers (similar to the PS/2 issue when you only have one or the other keyboard or mouse plugged in, which won't work, but when both are, they will work.)

I do sometimes have issues where my mouse won't respond to input, but that is fixed by just unplugging it and plugging it back in. PnP still works.

I actually have no idea what I'm talking about. So it's all speculation as to what *actually* fixes it. However, i think another fix is to use the kalyway vanilla kernel instead of the stock modified mach_kernel.

But, i just wanted to let everyone know that there IS a fix without having to resort to using the old 10.5.1 kernel. I can also confirm that the leopard graphics update doesn't affect this (for my 512mb 8800GT).

I think i will test it more and post the results in a few days time.