Help choosing a processor

7 posts in this topic

Hi - im going to build a new pc - but only if i can get OSx86 working on it...as I prefer Leopard as an OS.

I need some help choosing what hardware to buy, for instance dual core/quad core...intel/amd?

i usually buy my processor, motherboard and ram as a bundle from komplett.co.uk

so could someone please start me off in the right direction, by telling me which is the best bundle that i can get that has support for OSx86...

i'm worried that i'll get the hardware and then it won't work

Komplett Bundles

any help would be greatly appreciated..

thanks

hi - thanks for replying, and i've already read through the link you sent me.

ok - i'm looking at buying:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB

Asus Striker Extreme, nForce-680i SLI, Socket-775, 2xGbLAN, DDR2, 2xPCI-Ex16

will this be compatible with 10.5.2?

thanks kramer2k...

i've seen people with Intel C2Q configurations on this forum so just presumed it was possible...

is it definitley not do-able?

basically i just dont want to have to get a C2D now and then only have to upgrade to a C2Q in the future, i'd rather get something that will stand the test of time...

is that a bad idea?

If you buy a quad today there's no guarantee that it will stand the test of time, either. It's true there's not much software at the moment that will take advantage of 4 cores. Video encoding software is the only category I know of that shows impressive gains in speed. If you have to settle for a c2d with only two cores, I don't think you're sacrificing that much. It might be a different story in a couple of years. The arrival of software that can take advantage of many cores is going to be a slow process.

I have used many processors on my hackintosh builds before I bought an 8 Core Mac Pro

I used an AMD, Celeron D, Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, Intel Quad Core Q6660, They all work but I would suggest the Core 2 Duo E6300 Probably one of the best overclockable processors.