10.4.8 - HP NC6000 - Nearly There!

dversteeg

10 posts in this topic

Hi all!

Thanks to all the help and hours of reading on this forum i've got jas 10.4.8 set up and running nicely on my nc6000.

I've even got the internal wi-fi working as airport i've just got 2 teething problems;

1. The airport won't automatically connect to my home wireless network. If I go to 'Other' from the airport icon on the menu bar and type in my WEP key it will connect. But when I restart the laptop it just sits there and doesn't connect. (even though the network is now in the preffered networks list).

2. There is no battery indicator. I've installed the powermanagement package and can get the battery icon in the menu bar but it says 'no batteries available'.

EDIT - Fixed this now by yanking out the battery and reinserting!

If anyone could help with these 2 little problems i'd appreciate it!

Cheers,

Dan

I've got 10.4.10 (Kalyway) on my NC6000 and I have to admit I never noticed the missing battery symbol, since I think it's a heavy sucker and therefore never carry it around with me -  but it looks like it's the same issue on 10.4.10.

With your wireless issues. Hrm. I don't have that - my wireless automatically connects when I flip the switch. The only Idea I have is, why don't you try re-installing the atheros drivers? (You got atheros don't you?) The IO80211Family.kext is somewhere in there, if you should run into trouble finding it - hit me up. But it's there. That thing does it all for me.

JaS 10.4.8 is a _very_ good Image for OSx86 on an NC6000 it seems, I started with that image more than a year ago. If you install a 10.4.10 today there is quite a bit of handwork needed in order to get everything up and running - but in the end it eventually will.

The last time I installed my NC6000 I wrote a lot of it down, I think I am gonna write a tutorial soon how to get a NC6000 up and running properly.

Oh and just for your information the NC6000 is called NW8000 in Europe.

The last time I installed my NC6000 I wrote a lot of it down, I think I am gonna write a tutorial soon how to get a NC6000 up and running properly.

I have an NC6000,

40g hard drive

1.5 gigs ram

1.8 ghz Intel M

32 megs ATI 9600

etc.

so far I have not had any luck with the Kalyway 10.5.2 release, I'm downloading 10.4.10. Any kind of tutorial will be great, I've had 6 attempts = no luck yet in getting it to even reboot.

Well, after having no luck with the Kalyway 10.4.10, I installed the JaS 10.4.8 on the NC6000 first try.

A few things not working so far, no WiFi or Ethernet. I've taken a try at a few "fixes" and finally got the Broadcom drivers to load,

...and managed to break the fix by trying to get the Atheros wireless working.

I was trying to modify the Networkinterfaces.plist to have the Broadcom as "en0", ...slightly frustrating, but I have OS X running, ...sorta'

;)

Edit/Update:

Started over, again using the JaS 10.4.8.

Fixed the Atheros card first by using bits of two seperate "how to's"

Managed to fix the Broadcom ethernet when I edited the .plist file.

So I have Airport/Gigabit Ethernet/Bluetooth/ ...and I think the modem works too.

No probs with airport either, I boot up and it's online after a lot of restarts and cold boots.

Update - It finally did this after the last cold boot, I had to go into Net Prefs to log on.

Found this in http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...p/t34071-0.html

For those of you with Atheros chip 168c,0013:

Mine worked great first reboot after following the guide, however, on subsequent reboots, no wireless netrworks were found.

After much experimentation, I find that by adding a couple lines to /etc/rc/shutdown/local I was good to go even after restarts and sleep. Here are the lines I added:

sudo rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches/*
sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Hope this helps others with Airport issues after restarts!

-ktrain

Fixed the battery glitch by installing the power management patch, and unplugging/plugging the battery (thanks Dan).

Update - Spoke to soon on this one too, ...After both a battery boot, and a "plugged" boot, ...the battery needs a (plugged of course), "re & re".

I also have USB (which means that the card reader might work) full sound (in/out), no mouse "tears", ...but no ci/ce.

I've given up for now on dual booting with Xubuntu (sigh) as every attempt so far turns it "boat anchor".

It's my first PC, I've been using Macs exclusively for over a decade. I started on this the day before I joined, so it took 5 days of trying different builds and patches.

...I wish I wrote it down (shrug).

I don't think it's such a good Idea to delete the kextcache on each reboot. That shouldn't be necessary.

Getting qe/ci to run should be a piece of cake for you as I compiled a driver package for the NC6000/NW8000 quite some time ago that will deliver it all.

After installing that driver you _will_ have mouse tearing. Mouse tearing only appears with qe/ci enabled.

I made a Tutorial of how to install that driver and it can be found in the "Genius Bar" forum. This is also the place where my Installation Tutorial will go.

ATI Radon Mobility 9600 AGP with QE/CI

I hope this helps - stay tuned for my Installation Guide.

I made a Tutorial of how to install that driver and it can be found in the "Genius Bar" forum. This is also the place where my Installation Tutorial will go

Well written! Thanks, next on my list...

I hope this helps - stay tuned for my Installation Guide.

Most definately, I have had a lot of fun with this the last week. The NC6000 seems to be a good PC for OSx86, they can be picked up for quite cheap here too.

I've got 10.4.10 (Kalyway) on my NC6000 and I have to admit I never noticed the missing battery symbol, since I think it's a heavy sucker and therefore never carry it around with me - but it looks like it's the same issue on 10.4.10.

Mine does not like the battery at all, it will boot off the battery, but it will only run at 33% speed (600 mhz). If I boot from the charger, it reports 1.79 ghz, and when I unplug it it stays there and shows about 3 hours battery life.

I have noticed also that I have sound, and the volume buttons work fine, but the headphone jack switch does not mute the speakers.

JaS 10.4.8 is a _very_ good Image for OSx86 on an NC6000 it seems, I started with that image more than a year ago

It's still the only one that I can get to work with my limited experience with OSx86 in a week of trying. I've lost count how many I've tried, but at least I'm now keeping track of what it is I'm trying... :(

If you install a 10.4.10 today there is quite a bit of handwork needed in order to get everything up and running - but in the end it eventually will.

Ha ha ...that's why it's fun.

Thanks again, ...I'll check back now and then.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had a problem with colored banding on the screen? My install (of JaS 10.4.8) seems to go smoothly, then on the first boot, it loads the Apple symbol with the spinning icon underneath, and then it artifacts out and a whole bunch of vertical colored bands show up... and that's it.

Suggestions?

EDIT - Reinstalled, everything is fine...