Hybrid GPT/MBR question, NTFS on GUID?

00diabolic

2 posts in this topic

This is a quote from SMF. From another topic on this forum. I am wondering if the below statement is correct.

"If you have GPT and want to install XP32 bit you need to put xp32 in the 4th partition (this counts the EFI partition as 1). I can't explain it but I've done a lot of testing of XP32 with a hybrid GPT/MBR layout (which diskutility will create if you have at least one partition FAT32). For some reason if you make 3 partitions with GPT (not counting the EFI partition that is created with GPT) and make one HFS+ for OSX and the two FAT32 you can put XP32 on the second FAT32 partition and it will install and run fine. You do however have to make the second FAT32 partition the active partition before you try and install XP32. If try and put XP32 in the first FAT32 partition the install will fail on the first reboot."

The above statement would indicate that both Vista/xp 32bit and Leopard will boot using darwin bootloader?

I am also wondering if another partiton past the 2 fat32 partitions is allowed? Another NTFS for storage? Or can I turn both of the fat32 partitons be into NTFS ones?

Also this goes against what I_am me says in his guide on PC_EFI. He says this is not possible. I am going to see if this really works. Would like to see if an expert from this site can confirm this and possibly explain why it works if it does. Is this how bootcamp works?

So far this does not work for me. It is unclear what if anything I can do to get this to work.

If anyone has any info or perhaps can explain what I might be doing wrong. I would love to get this to work.