Still Waiting for Root Device Kalyway 10.5.1 - Help Please!

Joe90k

6 posts in this topic

First I will say hello as this is my first post to this great forum, I have spent a few hours to say the least over the last few weeks reading threads and peoples success due to the amount of knowledge here!

I have the following system at the moment:

Intel Core 2 Duo e6320 Overclocked from 1.86Ghz to 2.7Ghz

Abit Fata1ity f190-HD Mobo

2 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800Mhz RAM

320GB Sata Western Digital Hard Drive - Running Vista 64 Bit

120GB IDE Samsung Spinpoint Hard Drive - Blank Drive

80GB Sata Toshiba Hard Drive removed from Macbook - Blank Drive

LG Sata DVD-RW

Ati Radeon Xpress 1250 onboard Graphics

I have downloaded the Kalyway version called 'KALYWAY_LEO_10.5.1intel_SSE2_SSE3' which I then unarchived and burnt using Apple Disk Utility on my Macbook.

I then put it in my computer to install it and it hung at the apple boot screen with a a "No Entry" symbol on top of the apple logo which I googled and found was a kernel panic. I then tried to boot again but at the boot options of the Kalyway disc I did the '-v' to show errors. This then got all the way through until it hit this error:

AppleGenericPCATADriver: CMD 0x1f0, CTR 0x3f4, IRQ 14

IOATAController Device blocking bus

AppleGenericPCATADriver: CMD 0x170, CTR 0x374, IRQ 15

Still Waiting for Root Device

Then 'Still Waiting for Root Device' repeats.

I have googled and searched here and established a few things which I have tried. First I tried changing my Sata mode from 'IDE' to 'Legacy IDE', booted to the same error, then I unplugged the SATA drive with Vista on and tried the 120Gb Samsung Drive, booted to the same error, then I tried the Sata drive which I removed from my Macbook, booted to the same error. I have made sure that the IDE drive is set as the first boot drive and then the Sata hard drive from my macbook as channel 1 on the Sata ports, nothing helps.

I am now stumped, I googled 'still waiting for root device' and found a lot of answers relating to tiger but none to leopard.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas they would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance

Joe

First I will say hello as this is my first post to this great forum, I have spent a few hours to say the least over the last few weeks reading threads and peoples success due to the amount of knowledge here!

I have the following system at the moment:

Intel Core 2 Duo e6320 Overclocked from 1.86Ghz to 2.7Ghz

Abit Fata1ity f190-HD Mobo

2 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800Mhz RAM

320GB Sata Western Digital Hard Drive - Running Vista 64 Bit

120GB IDE Samsung Spinpoint Hard Drive - Blank Drive

80GB Sata Toshiba Hard Drive removed from Macbook - Blank Drive

LG Sata DVD-RW

Ati Radeon Xpress 1250 onboard Graphics

I have downloaded the Kalyway version called 'KALYWAY_LEO_10.5.1intel_SSE2_SSE3' which I then unarchived and burnt using Apple Disk Utility on my Macbook.

I then put it in my computer to install it and it hung at the apple boot screen with a a "No Entry" symbol on top of the apple logo which I googled and found was a kernel panic. I then tried to boot again but at the boot options of the Kalyway disc I did the '-v' to show errors. This then got all the way through until it hit this error:

AppleGenericPCATADriver: CMD 0x1f0, CTR 0x3f4, IRQ 14

IOATAController Device blocking bus

AppleGenericPCATADriver: CMD 0x170, CTR 0x374, IRQ 15

Still Waiting for Root Device

Then 'Still Waiting for Root Device' repeats.

I have googled and searched here and established a few things which I have tried. First I tried changing my Sata mode from 'IDE' to 'Legacy IDE', booted to the same error, then I unplugged the SATA drive with Vista on and tried the 120Gb Samsung Drive, booted to the same error, then I tried the Sata drive which I removed from my Macbook, booted to the same error. I have made sure that the IDE drive is set as the first boot drive and then the Sata hard drive from my macbook as channel 1 on the Sata ports, nothing helps.

I am now stumped, I googled 'still waiting for root device' and found a lot of answers relating to tiger but none to leopard.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas they would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance

Joe

Try making BIOS setting "default".

I have the same problem with Kalyway and ToH. Somebody have an idea to deal with it?

Yep fixed it, dont plug any SATA drives in except the hard drive. Or if you can use an IDE Hard Drive.

I sorted it I think by using an IDE DVD-ROM drive which I had lying about as a Slave and the IDE Hard Drive as a Master.

Now looking at the leopard wallpaper all be it the beach ball of death is there and there are no signs of life but I got further than before.

Joe

It gives me "Extension com.apple.driver.ACPIPlatform has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi; use one style only. (ToH 10.5 version). Can Anybody help?

• 2 months later...

The best thing to do to avoid MBR problems is to just install a small Linux Kernel that makes an auto Grub and create a Grub Loader just like you would for Win, but with your OSx86 part instead of a Win Part.

This is at how I got my MOBO to boot from different HDDs. My desktop has 3 HDDs in it:

30 Win XP - IDE

8 Gb Backup - IDE

300 Gb Multi OS : OSx, XP x 2, Ubuntu

These hardrives were moved from my old Dell and it is still a lot of backup cause of the incompatiblities between old school P4 and my new Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz.

When I first got my Desktop, it took me almost two weeks to tweak the whole booting to SATA with IDE drives in as well, even though my BIOS is set to look at the SATA first it did not want to boot to SATA until I tweaked so much I could not even remember. Long story short I reinstalled XP and once again I got an error saying there were no bootable drives, so I installed the new Ubuntu distro and setup my Grub on one of my IDE parts since my MOBO is happy with booting from that. And with grub you don't have to worry about your OS being within certain spaces or anything.

Moral of the story, if you have any boot problems go run to you local comp store and buy any cheap IDE over 4 Gb (Ubuntu min install) and install Ubuntu on it then write in the Grub list options like you would for a Win part, but rename it OSx86 or what ever.

• 5 months later...

Hello, just came across the same problem. I was trying to install from an IDE DVD-rom to a SATA HD, and kept getting that error. Added another IDE cdrom alongside the other, and it worked fine. Still working on the install though : /