P5w DH... can it sleep yet?

brettbennion

9 posts in this topic

Has anyone figured out how to make my kalyway 10.5.2 P5W DH Deluxe sleep? my energy bill is killing me and i tired searching for "Asus P5w DH" to find the offical thread and the search wouldnt work? I either need to fix this today(on my day off) or I have to install Vista back on!

Thanks

What about sleep doesn't work? When I had a PATA drive on the JMicron controller the computer would kernal panic shortly after coming out of sleep, but I've since replaced the PATA drive with a SATA drive and sleep works perfectly.

Hardware is a P5W DH Deluxe, 4 gigs of ram, 2 SATA drives, 7800 GT video card w/512 Mb.

Kalyway 10.5.2 install using GUID and Vanilla install.

@nuke61 I'm am having the same issues as brettbennion of a non-sleeping P5W.

Can you outline exactly what install & spec you have?

Did you install Kalyway 10.5.1 then do the 10.5.2 combo followed by the Kaly Kexts? Hvae you changed any of the kexts?

Also what BIOS version are you running on your board?

Cheers for any input.

I set up the BIOS as described here: http://lifehacker.com/software/hack-attack...-800-321913.php

but differences for me from what's described in the Lifehacker article is that I have JMicron enabled, but running only SATA drives. If I hook a PATA drive to the JMicron controller the OS will panic shortly after coming out of sleep. I also have memory remap turned off -- the BIOS only reports something like 3 Gig of ram, but 10.5.2 sees all 4 gigs. At this point I don't remember if turning it On causes crashes or not, but leaving it Off has no downside that I can see.

The BIOS I have is v2602 - ASUS now has a v2704 BIOS but I haven't changed because my computer is working great.

Install was using Kalyway 10.5.1 with Vanilla kernel picked, GUID boot, and the DH sound driver. Nothing else chosen in the Kalyway install. It came up fine, but using the generic video driver. Then I installed NVInstaller v33 by Scott Dangel, located here: http://scottdangel.com/blog/?page_id=20 -- note that he is now up to .41, but I used the .33 install.

To get to 10.5.2 I then used Kalyway's 10.5.2 Combo Update. I've never had to do any Kext editing. Pure vanilla Kalyway install, NVInstaller, 10.5.2 ComboUpdate.

For hardware I have the P5W DH Deluxe, 2 SATA hard drives, 1 SATA DVD/CD drive, eVGA 8600GT card with 512MB. Firewire works, USB works, sound works, sleep and wake from sleep works. I have not used eSATA or the 2nd video output, nor have I tried wireless LAN, so I don't know if they work.

I'd try making some small changes to the BIOS to see if that helps, matching what's shown in the Lifehacker article. If that doesn't work, do a pure Vanilla install, no drivers -- nothing but basic Kalyway, and then see if your computer will sleep/wakeup.

Hey nuke, thanks for the reply.

My BIOS setting is pretty much identical aside from having memory remap enabled (I tried with it disabled with no luck).

My hardware is also similar although I only have 1 SATA HD.

The only thing that appears different in my install is I ran the Kalyway kernel package after using the combo update. Did you not this?

My current kernel is 9.2.2 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.2: RELEASE_I386 i38, what are you running?

I've been trying to get my machine to sleep all day, what actually happens is I select sleep, it goes through the motions of going into sleep but then instantly wakes itself up!?

Again, thanks for any help

I didn't run any package after Kalyway, just Kalyway 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 ComboUpdate. It has been able to sleep from the very beginning; I know because I tried it with just the 10.5.1 install, prior to the 10.5.2 update. If it's going through the motions like it's going to sleep, but then immediately 'wakes up', it sounds like it's getting some sort of signal to wake. My computer goes to sleep whether I select 'sleep' from the pull-down menu, or I just hit the power button. Does your BIOS have something like "Wake on LAN" set to YES? I'm guessing here, but that might immediately send a signal to wake back up again, assuming that you're on a network, like nearly everyone these days.

My kernel is 9.2.2, which I assume is the one installed by Kalyway. I don't know the release version. How do you get that information? When I do 'About This Mac' --> 'More info...' all I see is the Kernel number, and nothing about a release version.

Mine sleeps too. I installed Kalyway with Combo Update and have a PATA DVD-Burner and a PATA 160GB Harddrive on the JMicron. Probably it's working because I connected the latter ones after I installed OSX? And also: I installed on a SATA drive, then copied over the image on a PATA drive and now boot from there.

Here's a list with all the hardware I got running (Vanilla, EFI MBR):

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Intel Q6600 (still at 2400Mhz)

4GB Corsair RAM

ATI HD3870 (Q/E enabled)

Presonus FIREBOX external firewire audiointerface (connected via onboard firewire)

Maxtor 200GB IDE (Primary IDE)

Maxtor 160GB IDE (JMicron Slave)

Samsung DVD-Burner IDE (JMicron Master)

Seagate 500GB SATA

WD MyBook 500GB external drive (via USB)

Wacom Tablet

Logitech Keyboard and Mouse

Cardreader, Microtek Scanner and and...

The only thing that gave me headaches was my Geforce 6800 Ultra, but since I replaced that everything is fine. It sleeps, wakes up, reboots. I know this is of no help to you, but at least you know that it CAN work. Don't give up! :)

Thanks again for your help everyone

Does your BIOS have something like "Wake on LAN" set to YES? I'm guessing here, but that might immediately send a signal to wake back up again, assuming that you're on a network, like nearly everyone these days.

Unfortunately not! I've been through the BIOS and found nothing that appears to control waking from sleep. I agree though it does seem like something is waking the computer as soon as it enters sleep. I've run some tests with no network activity at all but still the problem persists... I'm thinking a complete reinstall is the only way to go to try and get it to sleep. Maybe the 10.5.2 Kalyway kernel package is to blame, I read somewhere to install it after the combo update but if you didn't use it then I won't bother using it.

My kernel is 9.2.2, which I assume is the one installed by Kalyway. I don't know the release version. How do you get that information? When I do 'About This Mac' --> 'More info...' all I see is the Kernel number, and nothing about a release version.

I think the 9.2.2 kernel comes from the Airport/Time machine update. To get the version use terminal:

uname -a

I think the 9.2.2 kernel comes from the Airport/Time machine update. To get the version use terminal:

uname -a

From Terminal:

9.2.2 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.2: Tue Mar 4 21:17:34 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.4.31~1/RELEASE_I386 i386