Leopard/Kalyway work after a motherboard upgrade

Navaira

4 posts in this topic

I installed Kalyway 10.5.1 and updated to 10.5.2 on my old GA-965-DQ6. A few weeks later the motherboard died -- apparently a known problem, where something goes wrong with the BIOS (not during update), and the backup refuses to work, then the computer never works again. The board still had warranty, so I sent it to the shop. They informed me it is not manufactured anymore and offered 'credit' instead. I took the credit and initially ordered another Gigabyte model but when they couldn't get it for 10 days I changed my mind and went for Asus P5W DH Deluxe. Different chipset (975 vs 965, ICH7R vs ICH8R), different manufacturer, different BIOS... Didn't expect much, but just for fun I thought I'd see what happens when I switch on the computer.

XP told me I need to "reactivate Windows due to significant hardware upgrade". That proved to be somewhat difficult since mouse and keyboard wouldn't work. After some head scratching I remembered I had an old PS2 keyboard, connected that and activated the {censored}. That didn't help much. Some drivers were conflicting, the Nvidia 8800 GT drivers for some reason disappeared and needed a reinstall and even after I seemed to have done everything necessary the system would still initially display some memory allocation/DLL error. So Windows had to be reinstalled, which I was prepared for.

Leopard... works. That's it. Out of the box. (Well, Kalyway with patches for DQ6-965+8800GT box.) I did the software update, skipping the Airport update (I don't use wireless anyway) and everything still works. Sound (external via firewire), graphics, two screens, keyboard, mouse, switching off and restarting. Need to test DVD, sleep and wireless just for the sake of it, but... I am amazed. And somehow I don't think Vista would survive a motherboard swap like that.

Now I wonder -- since this particular motherboard apparently works with vanilla kernel, should I try and do the Airport update that also updates kernel and see what happens, or would that stretch my luck too far? Hmmm...

I am not, that's what worries me. Vanilla didn't work with my old motherboard and I am so happy seeing that this one doesn't require a reinstall that I don't dare risking doing anything that would cause the need for one...