Installing Windows XP only on a MBP?

9 posts in this topic

So I have a MBP from work and I realize I use Windows XP 99% of the time (it's just much faster for me and I can use it better). So I started thinking about instead of leaving the 40GB currently for OSX, I was going to re-do the whole thing and just install XP as the main OS and run OSX from VMware in Windows.

Any one have any experience doing this? Anything I should look out for?

I still remember trying to setup Windows initially on this machine was a big pain in the ass because I wanted a 3rd partition as a Data drive (FAT32 to share between OSX/Windows) This is how I've always configure my laptops, program/os partition separate from the data partition for easy reinstall and recovery. But I remembered this from that experience:

Windows can only be installed on the last partition of the drive or it won't boot and gives a HAL.dll corrupt error.

Since this is a work machine I need to be able to do it over the weekend and make sure I'm back up and running by Monday. Any feedback and input is very appreciated :D

Thanks in advance!

Well, my concern was just that because I had issues with installing Windows on anything but the last partition, that my plan of Windows being on the "only" partition might have issues as well.

I did some more research and I think I know the answer now.

I paid a visit to our Local Apple Dealer in Basel, Switzerland and amongst all the normal machines was a Macbook running XP only! Guess where all the new clients were?! I think it was like a beacon of warmth and safety for them!

SticMAN

That should be illegal :D

As i said "normal machines was a Macbook running XP only"

JUST XP, it felt quite strange, but yes it is sold with Windows XP, even with a license stuck on the bottom!

SticMAN

Ah - but was it just running it from Bootcamp install or was the machine physically only running XP and there was no OSX on the machine?

As i said "normal machines was a Macbook running XP only"

JUST XP, it felt quite strange, but yes it is sold with Windows XP, even with a license stuck on the bottom!

SticMAN

OMG.Live and learn...MBP running only Windows XP?.That scares me...