Dell DW 1390 / DW 1490 Wifi cards, out of the box?

sonrev

2 posts in this topic

Hi all, i got a little question for the experts. Here's the situation:

I have two notebooks, one is a Dell D830, the other one an Acer Aspire 5670. On both of them I run Leopard, 10.5.2, the updated kalyway install. The Dell a near perfect running system (only no NIC, the broadcom netXtreme 57xx), the Acer kinda crippled with nothing but sound (Well the keyboard and trackpad, and sometimes the USB ports do work) But native 1024x768 graphics etc...

Now do I have two wlan cards that both work in the Dell but not in the Acer. What can be the thing here? On the Dell the 1390 card worked 'out of the box' and so does the 1490 which i'm using now. Software wise they are more or less the same, I even used a 'time capsule' during the installation on the Acer and that went super-smooth... ^_^

So what can be the issue here? Why wont the Acer recognize my wifi card? Airport says 'no airport card installed' or detected or something like that... (its not up at the mo)

hope one of you guys has an answer..

cheers!

• 2 years later...
Hi all, i got a little question for the experts. Here's the situation:

I have two notebooks, one is a Dell D830, the other one an Acer Aspire 5670. On both of them I run Leopard, 10.5.2, the updated kalyway install. The Dell a near perfect running system (only no NIC, the broadcom netXtreme 57xx), the Acer kinda crippled with nothing but sound (Well the keyboard and trackpad, and sometimes the USB ports do work) But native 1024x768 graphics etc...

Now do I have two wlan cards that both work in the Dell but not in the Acer. What can be the thing here? On the Dell the 1390 card worked 'out of the box' and so does the 1490 which i'm using now. Software wise they are more or less the same, I even used a 'time capsule' during the installation on the Acer and that went super-smooth... :)

So what can be the issue here? Why wont the Acer recognize my wifi card? Airport says 'no airport card installed' or detected or something like that... (its not up at the mo)

hope one of you guys has an answer..

cheers!

I got you man if you still need the help,

Open up terminal and do the following..

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

(sudo prompts for your password, enter it)

A few lines down you'll see:

'en0' under 'BSD Name', change this to 'en1' (no quotes for any of it)

A couple lines further down 'IOInterfaceUnit' and just below it '0'.. Change that to a '1' (again, no quotes)

Now hit Ctrl+O to WriteOut (save) the file, and Ctrl+X to exit. Reboot. Now once you've rebooted the menubar icon will still say it isn't configured. No worries though! Open up system preferences and click on Network. It should tell you there was a new port discovered (airport) and voila, your airport connection is mapped to the Airport card instead of oddly through the ethernet interface.