Questions about installing with EFI

5 posts in this topic

Im ordering the parts to build my Hac today and i plan on using the drive i have in my current rig. I have it set up with a 30gb Vista partition, 30gb OSX partition, and a 130gb NTFS partition for storing {censored}. If i install osx with EFI will that mess up my other partitions? Im going to reinstall both OS's, but i plan on installing OSX, then Vista in bootcamp. So i guess what im asking is 'will Kalyway+EFI destroy my partition table?'

I've never installed with efi before so im kinda worried about losing all the junk i have stored on my drive. Thanks for your time!

..so nobody knows/cares enough to help?

You will need to install Vista first. Installing Vista afterwards seems to mess up all other bootloaders. As far as I know, if you're building a hack, don't use bootcamp-- just use Vista's bootloader or your bios partition boot selector.

And I would also suggest that you use a FAT32 partition instead of NTFS for storing files, etc. . Mac can't natively write to NTFS, and if you use a utility it's slow.

so i can install vista, then leo with efi and my other partitions will be fine?

All of my data is on ntfs, and if i had to back it all up i would have switched to fat32, but i made that partition long before i knew about osx86. The ntfs3g driver works fine for me though. I dont need constant read/write to the partition. Thanks!