Help Please ! Accidentally Format Vista ! !

dekpient

10 posts in this topic

Help Please ! ! Plsss......

I try to dual boot vista and leopard in this guide >> http://dailyapps.net/2008/03/hack-attack-d...-windows-vista/

in Vista, I have 3 partition, 1.Vista[NTFS] 2.Unaccllocate 3.Ings[NTFS] and when I boot with iAtkos 1.0 r2 then DiskUtility, in the left sidebar of Disk Utility, it showed just two partition, "disk0s2" and "Ings", so I select disk0s2 and erase with MAC Extended Journal then.. I continued the guide but I didn't see "Darwin Boot" under Utility so I exit the installation.

after that I reboot with "Missing Operating System" . First I tried to repair boot with Vista Installation DVD but It can't see Operating System. Now I connect it to another com and open Disk Management. and see this.....(in attachments)....

Is that mean I erase the wrong partition?

What would I need to do to recovery Vista with MBR boot and all files? There's large Photoshop file in that, I need that....

Thanks for your help....

post-157830-1206729111_thumb.jpg

Yup, looks like you nuked it. I can never stress enough about backups before anything like this..... Most people don't realize it themselves until an incident like this were they cant recover.

I have used getdataback in the past with success BUT I'm not sure if it'll work on non NTFS drives.

Depending on how import the file is, you may want to invest in a data recovery service instead of trying it yourself because every time that drive is accessed you have less and less chance of getting things back.

Junkie

The software runs on OS X and XP. You'll have to take the drive out and put it in a computer with an OS, or hook up a USB drive to boot from, to recover either way..

It's MAC software, right?

but I don't have mac or installed them. I just have XP on another com.

There's anyway to recover all vista and MBR?

Anyone?

Forget about the MBR at this point and just try to recover the specific file you need because the odds are you're not getting back your entire partition.

I think Coadey and I have both given you enough info to get you going - I don't think either of us are interested in holding your hand through the process.

Answer this one question for me. How important is the data?..... For example: Are you going to lose your job because of it? Is its months and months of work? OR can it be recreated in a few hours? If its something you cant deal with losing, you might want to contact Drive Savers and get a quote on having them recover the file.

Pick an application, either data rescue or getdataback. To be honest I cant tell you which of the two will work because I don't know enough about data recovery BUT the problem you're going to have is recovering NTFS files from a partition that is now in HFS+. Getdataback only works with NTFS, while data rescue only works with HFS+. Personally my logic would suggest using getdataback because you need the software to try and read the NTFS data thats under the new partition.

Neither pieces of software are that hard to use - If you've taken on the task of trying to install OSX on a windows system, then I would hope you could figure it out on your own.

It's a month work, (this March) and basically the due date is 31st March 2008. So, I feel lost...

Thank you very much for your kind help. I have one last question : if I format that partition back to NTFS (quick format) and try to recover it. How would it go?