Time Synchronization

ViseMoD

4 posts in this topic

I have Vista and Leopard installed on my PC. I know that these OSes work with BIOS in different way. The both OSes are setuped to get the current time from Internet. However, Leopard may do it about a several minutes after boot.

Is there any way to force Leopard synchronize the time just after boot?

• 2 months later...

Did you solve the problem? In the pre-leo times we could make a little trick modifying /etc/rc.local and rc.shutdown to readjust the time during boot and set it back when shutting down. But Leopard's boot process do not deal with these unix like rc scripts.

Once I found here in the forum a downloadable piece of script which do this readjusting during the Leopard startup process. But, it has never worked for me :thumbsup_anim: And I had never time enough to look for the reason.

And for a time I use my windows once in two or three days, so this time mysery is not a big problem. (Before I used OsX only for music, so that time it was the reason why I didn't care really about this bad thing with the time.)

Actually, I'm qurious, whether you managed to solve this problem? Yes, yes, I've just written that I've got used to this abnormallity, but you know, if there is a solution, the best is, if everything works correctly.

P.

ps. Your other problem "How to make something to boot from another system for running defragmenting utils" is in my thoughts as well. Probably the fastest way is to install another clean system, better if that's a Tiger. But it's a good-good question, and I know there is a how-to on it, making a bootable cd/dvd or boot from an usb stick for this purpose. There is e.g. Bootable Utilities Image, (google it, if you haven't heard about that), and it's only some files we have to replace. The problem is that's a 10.4.9 system, which I never had. But why don't make a bootable usb stick from scratch, and put the apps on it? (I'm not sure that the Coriolis stuffs will authorize themselves on another media than the lic.key. is originated, but there are other good tools offering good defragmenting whith which I'm sure, that there wuldn't be problem, if we can put them on something booting on our systems. There is an article somewhere on the net about disk maintenance of OsX systems, which tool's which service is for what.... I can look for it if you interested in reading that.

(Sorry for my English, I've no time to read this whole text again, I hope you understand what I mean...)

what i settled on doing was setting Windows to my time zone (central) and then changing Mac to a time zone that shows the correct time.

I did this because I usually just put Windows XP is sleep mode and when it comes out of sleep the time messes up.

If you always shut down your machine then this is the step-by-step solution:

1. Boot Windows

2. Click Start --> Run and type regedit. Click OK

3. The Windows Registry Editor should pop up. Navigate within the explorer to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation

4. Click on the TimeZoneInformation "folder" from the navigation pane if you haven't already done so.

5. This assumes the correct key doesn't exist. If it does, you will just change the existing key's value: Right click on the white space within the folder (If you don't have a right mouse button, you may need to download a program called applemouse to emulate the "control-click" of the apple 1-button mouse). Select new --> DWORD Value. Title the key "RealTimeIsUniversal" (No quotes). Set the value to "1" (No quotes again). Hexidecimal should be fine.

6. Either reboot and set the clock in MacOS or set the clock in Windows. You should now be able to reboot into either OS and have a correct clock.