5.1 PCI/PCI-E card needed - fully working. Any suggestions? :)

Belim

8 posts in this topic

Hi. I have looked on the osx86 wiki with some luck but i cant find the components they are talking about.

I have a fully working Kalyway 10.5.2 setup on a HP DX2300 with a few additions and everything is working brilliant. The only slight issue I have is that my sound works with the onboard chip which is a realtek ACL888 I believe and the built in speaker except I cant use the headphone jacks. I am looking for a sound card (PCI/PCI-E) which I can use which has 5.1+ support in osx86. With or without patches im not fussed.

As I said ive tried http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...5.2#Sound_Cards but the only ones which I think would be relevant to me I cant seem to be able to source. I would preferably not want too expensive either.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas? -_-

Hi. I have looked on the osx86 wiki with some luck but i cant find the components they are talking about.

I have a fully working Kalyway 10.5.2 setup on a HP DX2300 with a few additions and everything is working brilliant. The only slight issue I have is that my sound works with the onboard chip which is a realtek ACL888 I believe and the built in speaker except I cant use the headphone jacks. I am looking for a sound card (PCI/PCI-E) which I can use which has 5.1+ support in osx86. With or without patches im not fussed.

As I said ive tried http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...5.2#Sound_Cards but the only ones which I think would be relevant to me I cant seem to be able to source. I would preferably not want too expensive either.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas? -_-

Supposedly the SB Live External USB will work for 5.1 sound never used it so can't say for certain what I can say for sure will work for you if you don't mind spending around $100 is the Griffin FireWave external box you can get the firewire connection needed for it by either an old SB Audigy with firewire port you may have laying around or a Dynex 3 port firewire card with the Augere L-FW323-6 chipset on it both work perfectly for the headphone try the Griffin iMic it will also give you line-in and mic along whith the headphone and line-out. I got my FireWave for ~$50 plus shipping, the iMic for ~$15 refurbished plus shipping and the Dynex cost me ~$20 plus shipping all on Ebay.

Hello mate. A quesiton. What sort of sound system can you use the Griffin with? What sort of connections does it use to plug speakers in? And is it designed to plug into a surround sound system or just have speakers plugged directly into it?

I can find much of that sort of information about it for some reason....

Hello mate. A quesiton. What sort of sound system can you use the Griffin with? What sort of connections does it use to plug speakers in? And is it designed to plug into a surround sound system or just have speakers plugged directly into it?

I can find much of that sort of information about it for some reason....

It just uses your standard three jack connections for the normal 5.1 surround speakers like you use with any sound card I'd have to unplug the jacks to check but I am pretty sure the plugs-ins were colour coded as well for a no-brain install. One thing I almost forgot in the speaker setup it was confused with front right and left channels so I had to switch around the channel numbers in the outputs to them in the speaker setup something you may want to check when yours arrives.

Ok thats what I thought with the head phone jacks. Does it have a built in amp then? Dont get me wrong, I do understand alot about electronics etc, its just I was hoping to be able to plug into an existing surround sound system or something so it could be amped to get good power, quality & volume out of it. That way I can use it as a decent hi fi to...

Ok thats what I thought with the head phone jacks. Does it have a built in amp then? Dont get me wrong, I do understand alot about electronics etc, its just I was hoping to be able to plug into an existing surround sound system or something so it could be amped to get good power, quality & volume out of it. That way I can use it as a decent hi fi to...

It goes loud enough that it will drive my speakers (Logitech Z640 5.1) such that I cannot hear myself scream with very little to no distortion at all of course depending on the source used you know crappy files in crappy sound out that type of thing. As to whether it has built in amp I am not sure what I can tell you it is one hell of a nice device with great sound that comes out of it.