GUID Partition Now I Can't Dual Boot, Help Please

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I used GUID as my partition map since os x can write and delete partition in this format on the fly without losing data off the partition your booted on. MBR as far i know can't do this since you have to format the whole drive.

The issue i have now is i installed XP after creating a new partition in os x. XP was installed and running fine when i looked at the steps posted here about making the HFS+ partition active again since windows hides it. So i did the commands and flagged the s2 partition to be active.

This is what my HD looks like in the terminal

disk0s1 as unknown ID

disk0s2 as my HFS+ which has leopard on it.

disk0s3 as mt Fat32 for xp

disk0s4 as unused

I've made disk0s2 flag 2 command then update then write and y to reboot to take effect but i still get HFS+ Partition Error after i reboot. What am i doing wrong? do i need to move the table around and have XP above os x? if so how do i do that? :(

I found dual botting a real pain in the A$$ took me 4 days yo get mine going!!

Mind you I was going from back up images what I did was:

Start with winxp once installed make a ghost image or something like that

Next I did gpart make my second partition not formatted and flagged as boot

Install Leo

Reboot

if you are lucky darwin will load and have option to boot to mac or your other partition (xp)

if all goes well you should be able to boot into both systems if you can get into mac but get blinking curser on XP.

Boot up gparted cd and flag XP partion for boot if it boots use the Chain0 boot

If still no boot restore your ghost image you made before back to the xp partition then you should be able to boot to xp

Then do the Chain0 boot

this is what I had to do and was a pain I am useing Iatoks

Good luck and tel me how it goes

It's a pain but i need it since VMware and Parallels run windows slow within os x for the odd windows app i need. I've been told if i partition it with the leopard installer disc then install xp then reboot into the installer disc and install leopard it will be active again and so i can see the loader....i'm thinking of trying this since it's less steps.

Hi frank

I've got a very similar dilemma i.e OSX installed on GUID sata drive, XP on ideata drive and at startup the system sees the IDE drive with XP first then the sata drives hence it will allways boot into XP first if I don't use the F12 key to bring up the mobo boot menu. I've played around with the chaino option but it doesn't work with the guid drive. I am contemplating adding a small drive as master on the ide cable and putting BSD on that and using grub as the boot menu. If anyone can suggest another way I'd appreciate it. BTW I don't really want to start again with XP and OSX install as they both are working well and I have Parallels working fine in OSX.

Cheers

121fred

Well i went for MBR.....i did the following...loaded up the leopard disc... partition the HD and didn't install leopard. Restarted...installed XP then loaded leopard cd and installed leopard. Now the boot loader comes up and both os work!

I know it's not a easy option for people with current setups but if you do format follow these steps as it will work everytime. Not sure about vista and leopard with this but i don't see why it won't work.

Cheers everyone

• 5 months later...
Well i went for MBR.....i did the following...loaded up the leopard disc... partition the HD and didn't install leopard. Restarted...installed XP then loaded leopard cd and installed leopard. Now the boot loader comes up and both os work!

I know it's not a easy option for people with current setups but if you do format follow these steps as it will work everytime. Not sure about vista and leopard with this but i don't see why it won't work.

Cheers everyone

this worked great for me except that after I installed leopard I had to boot with -s and set the boot flag to leopard. Once that was running I set the boot flag to vista, got an error, repaired the boot automatically via the install disk, and booted -s again in leopard to set the boot flag back to leopard. Then everything worked fine.