Leopard on the Thinkpad X41

_azure

8 posts in this topic

I've successfully installed Kalyway 10.5.1 on the X41. I have to say, it seems to run faster/better than JaS 10.4.7. Here are the requirements:

- use the paperclip trick on the VGA port or connect to an external monitor

- at the DVD boot prompt: -cpus=1 -v

If you don't specify -cpus=1 at the boot prompt, the install will hang indefinitely at either the Languages or Welcome screen.

Post-install it boots normally. Sound works out of the box!

• 1 year later...
Have you ever gotten past needing to use a paperclip?

Yes, see here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...;p=866970

I finally have everything installed and working properly.

Hardware: Thinkpad X41 tablet

I followed the instructions here to modify the JaS 10.5.4 ISO so it could boot properly with the X41's GMA900 graphics. The resulting DVD booted into the installer without requiring an external monitor or the paperclip trick.

I booted with the -v -cpus=1 flags and installed onto a secondary partition. I chose the StageXNU 9.4.0 kernel.

After install, the system would not boot. Starting in -v mode produced the infamous "waiting for root device" message and stalled indefinitely.

I have a working Kalyway 10.5.1 (plus 10.5.2 update and ToH 9.2.0 kernel) install on the primary partition of this same machine. The OSX bootloader automatically detects both installations so I booted the Kalyway partition and manually copied the contents of /System/Library/Extensions to the JaS 10.5.4 partition. Upon reboot everything started up as normal, including full Quartz graphics support without the paperclip trick. There were no problems with the PS2 keyboard/mouse at any time, either pre- or post- installation.

Once booted up I chose to migrate my settings from the 10.5.2 partition to the new install. It took a long time but the system found everything and copied it perfectly. Including my third party Intel wifi drivers and all my applications.

The only thing that didn't work flawlessly on the new system is Firefox 3.0.1. For some reason, sites like Gmail and Netvibes wouldn't load as normal. I had to delete my Firefox settings from the 10.5.2 migration and re-install all my plugins. After that, everything worked as expected.

10.5.6 with sleep & hibernation bluetooth works can be turned on and off.

Digitizer working

sound/mic working

Rotation: semi-working

ethernet working

wifi need to swap cards

fingerprint reader: not working id/vendor matches for Protector Suite info.plist but not working.

hey unlistedj,

thx for that post. 

i have a few question about that.

what to mean whit "semi" work on the screen rotation?

how is the performance whit the osx on a x41?

can u write a little workaround for get it work for new installations?

i hope that u have the time for answer me,

greez

xcore

what to mean whit "semi" work on the screen rotation?

I use display-resx with Display twister which I use to set screen to set to 1024x1024 and then rotate screen in display twister... mouse movement and graphics can get a bit choppy... good for reading documents but since tablet-magic doesn't think the screen has rotated, it is difficult for extended use.

how is the performance whit the osx on a x41?

performance is pretty decent haven't had any issues with it (besides driver compatibilty i.e sd card reader doesn't work)

can u write a little workaround for get it work for new installations?

I'm still trying to get a perfect install. I had a great one but tried updating and messed it up, as soon as I have a good build, I'll put together instructions.

• 3 months later...