Best Macbook Pro Alternative

Raingod

6 posts in this topic

Hello, so in September i will be going off to Film School and they use G5's with Final Cut Pro. So i've been looking at getting one of the new MBP, but personally i just think Apple is ripping me off majorly on those considering you can get a good quality Windows Base laptop for half the price with the same specs or. So i wanted to know if there is any good windows base laptop which will run OSX86 with very little issues, at the same preformance as a MBP and for less? Price isnt really the issue, but at 2000$ + i'd be expecting something with a little better specs especially if it will be replacing my gaming desktop too.

good choice =)

I'm using an HP dv2000 special edition (-still- funny enough, available at best buy. cheap good. solid.)

Leopard 10.5.2 has (almost) full support for it.

-Headphones/Mic doesn't seem to work (but it may with the right fiddling), but speakers do.

-Wireless doesn't work (I know people are working on getting drivers for that wireless)

Hrm that's about it... Everything else works, full video support now to the graphics update. I believe the AIR notebook is to thank for that...I think it also uses the X3100 video card.

The laptop I think now comes with 4GB or ram outa the box in Best Buy...crazy. Mine has 2GB...but if you're doing a lot of processing you'll want the 4GB.

...but if you really need heavy duty, you're best off with a more powerful desktop.

The HP laptops though I find are GREAT convenient laptops with GREAT battery life, GREAT price, etc. and seem to work with OS X if you wanted to dual boot Windows / OS X. I run on an external drive...but with a generous 250gb drive... why not. I didn't want to experiment that's why =) Another good buy over at "that" store is the 320gb external self powered hard drive from simpletech (it's a western digital inside) for 150$ wow!

go figure the things off the shelf in stores these days are pretty good.

anything with core2 duo 2 gigs of ram and a wifi card and DVD RW+ is a good alternative. But.... Laptops have a lower success rate over desktops and you may find it easier to just buy a macbook pro then going and spending about 5 hrs searching the forum to fix your hardware.

good choice =)

I'm using an HP dv2000 special edition (-still- funny enough, available at best buy. cheap good. solid.)

Leopard 10.5.2 has (almost) full support for it.

-Headphones/Mic doesn't seem to work (but it may with the right fiddling), but speakers do.

-Wireless doesn't work (I know people are working on getting drivers for that wireless)

Hrm that's about it... Everything else works, full video support now to the graphics update. I believe the AIR notebook is to thank for that...I think it also uses the X3100 video card.

The laptop I think now comes with 4GB or ram outa the box in Best Buy...crazy. Mine has 2GB...but if you're doing a lot of processing you'll want the 4GB.

...but if you really need heavy duty, you're best off with a more powerful desktop.

The HP laptops though I find are GREAT convenient laptops with GREAT battery life, GREAT price, etc. and seem to work with OS X if you wanted to dual boot Windows / OS X. I run on an external drive...but with a generous 250gb drive... why not. I didn't want to experiment that's why =) Another good buy over at "that" store is the 320gb external self powered hard drive from simpletech (it's a western digital inside) for 150$ wow!

go figure the things off the shelf in stores these days are pretty good.

I recommend to stick with HP computers ;)