Belkin N Wireless USB Adaptor F5D8053

milkshake

85 posts in this topic

The drivers from the top of the thread (provided by TotallyBonkers) are working very well. I have a Dell Vostro 200 mini tower. Installation is with iAtkos v1.0i r3. I've removed the USB adaptor, installed the driver, rebooted, re-plug the USB adaptor and it was immediately recognized and started doing its job.

Thanks!

Just installed Kalyway 5.2 on my machine.

Everything works other than my wireless card (Belkin F5D9000). I installed "Belkin Wirless Cardbus" from the CD that came with the card but no luck. OS X can't see the card at all, as if it's not in the PCI slot?????

Can any one help with this, i have been looking on the net all day and i can't find anything.......

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, got this as a Christmas present so to speak from Daniel/totallybonkers. Didn't work at first on Kalyway 10.5.2. I think it was because I had installed those other drivers. I uninstalled them like he said, but I still couldn't get it to work. So, I decided to just reinstall, and voila!

Also, got this to work with iATKOS v1.0ir2. I installed that when I reinstalled, then, because other things didn't work as well as with Kalyway (screen blanking after a couple of reboots, and then sometimes again afterwords, sound not working with patch that worked in Kaly, and it just seemed to run slower), but I am happy to report a completely working Mac OS X 10.5.2 Kalyway HackBook Pro! With the exception of my built in wireless card, or my built in ethernet, or my built in media card reader from TX instruments, or my... etc.... You get the idea. But everything I want or need works well enough. I love OS X!

Oh, almost forgot! Thanks goes to totallybonkers and all others who have tried to figure this out! You guys are gems.

• 4 weeks later...
here are some working drivers i managed to get from the fella in this forum http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=driver

thought i might share them for the community.

please read the instructions in the attatchement and if possible give thanks to the person that sorted it out in the forum link i gave above.

Hope this works out for you all! works for me on leopard.

Dowloading 10.5 above worked perfectly for me with Belkin N wireless dongle F5D8053 v3 on Leeo4All v4.1 (OS X 10.5.4)

• 3 months later...

Daniel at totallybonkers_@hotmail.com was a huge help to get my wireless n belkin usb working in my old imac 700mhz G4. Got the drivers I needed. I set it up like instructed from his email, then went to my network preference and set up the new etherneten connection that appeared to my router ip and boom connected. That easy. Great help from a great guy. Thanks, Daniel you're awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought the Belkin F5D8053 and found that Ralink's driver of March 2009 wasn't working out of the box in Leopard. I modified the kext using instructions someone had posted elsewhere for modifying the Linksys WUSB600N since they both use the Ralink RT2870 chipset. It's very easy to do as I describe below. I've also included an attachment in Word format for easy print out.

********* THIS IS HOW YOU GET THE BELKIN F5D8053 WORKING IN OSX 10.5 LEOPARD ***********

1. Download and install the USB driver for the Ralink RT 2870 chipset from Ralink’s website: http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html

2. Reboot your computer and install the Belkin F5D8053 in a USB port.

3. Go to System Profiler (About This Mac à More Info), look under USB for the Belkin and write down the Product ID and the Vendor ID. In my case the Product ID was 0x815c and Vendor ID was 0x050d.

4. Remove the Belkin from the USB port and reboot your computer.

5. Use Textwrangler (free gui for editing kext files by Barebones Software; Google it you'll find it) and open the following file: /System/Library/Extensions/RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist

6. Search for "<key>Belkin - F5D 8053</key>" (without the quotation marks).

7. Change the Product and Vendor Id’s to what you wrote down earlier. Ex:

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>0x815c</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>0x050d</integer>

8. Close and save the file.

9. Open: /System/Library/Extensions/RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/Resources/Info.plist

Again, search for Belkin - F5D 8053 and change the Product and Vendor id’s, as you did above.

10. Close and save the file.

11. Open terminal and run "sudo -s" (without the quotation marks).

12. Clear out your kernel extension cache, run "kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions" (without the quotation marks).

13. Reboot your computer and insert the Belkin into a USB port, you can now run /Applications/USBWirelessUtility and configure the card. I go to Accounts in System Preferences and have the USBWirelessUtility launch at startup.

14. If you are having problems, go to your Network system preference and remove any existing Ethernet settings you may have and reboot. Now add a new Ethernet account by clicking on the plus sign in the bottom left of the Network system preference. Reboot and launch USBWirelessUtility. You should have a working wifi now. OS X thinks the wifi is actually an Ethernet account.

Enjoy, hope this gets everyone on wireless N for cheap – I got mine from Wal-Mart for $59.

Belkin_F5D8053_instructions.doc

• 3 weeks later...

I too just bought a F5D8053, and can confirm that the above guide worked perfectly on my HP Pavilion Elite m9150f iATKOS v5i install (fresh install, followed directions exactly). In fact, this reply is posted courtesy of said network adapter.

But really just wanna express my gratitude to milkshake, macgirl, totallybonkers, radar1, and WilliamsEph97 for their time and effort in getting things sorted here. I've been trying all week to get wireless internet working on my system. After much frustration of finding out that for whatever reason the RT73 drivers mentioned here were not working (enough to be usable at its best point anyway) with the wireless in my m9150f, and finding out about the pitfalls behind my old Linksys WMP54g (yeah, the 'bad' one, coincidentally super-non-functional as well), I am estatic about this.

:censored2:

The final thing I'd like to mention is that after step 12/into 13, I had plugged the adapter back in right after I clicked 'Restart' (i.e. plugged in before Darwin showed up even), as it was how I read the directions to be followed. Please note that this resulted in USBWirelessUtility.app still thinking there was no network card installed at all. However, after un/replug the Ralink app (USBWirelessUtility.app) popped up and everything was kosher.

I got the F5D8053 usb wireless usb adaptor and followed the instructions written by WilliamsEph97 and i think it worked except that the network preference continuously indicates that the USB ethernet is not plugged in, and the wireless utility also says it is disconnected. Any suggestions would be great

• 1 month later...
I got the F5D8053 usb wireless usb adaptor and followed the instructions written by WilliamsEph97 and i think it worked except that the network preference continuously indicates that the USB ethernet is not plugged in, and the wireless utility also says it is disconnected. Any suggestions would be great

ditto... It is recognized but the blue light does not flash and it does not see any networks.

any ideas?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Does anyone still have these 10.5 drivers for download? The ones on the first post aren't available anymore!

Hi,

go here and download the old driver:

http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/index.p...nloaditemid=227

The newer driver from Ralink lost the device so you have to unplug an replug the stick.

Use the driverlink so everythings works fine! Network is stable.

I just bought the Belkin F5D8053 and found that Ralink's driver of March 2009 wasn't working out of the box in Leopard. I modified the kext using instructions someone had posted elsewhere for modifying the Linksys WUSB600N since they both use the Ralink RT2870 chipset. It's very easy to do as I describe below. I've also included an attachment in Word format for easy print out.

********* THIS IS HOW YOU GET THE BELKIN F5D8053 WORKING IN OSX 10.5 LEOPARD ***********

1. Download and install the USB driver for the Ralink RT 2870 chipset from Ralink�s website: http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html

2. Reboot your computer and install the Belkin F5D8053 in a USB port.

3. Go to System Profiler (About This Mac � More Info), look under USB for the Belkin and write down the Product ID and the Vendor ID. In my case the Product ID was 0x815c and Vendor ID was 0x050d.

4. Remove the Belkin from the USB port and reboot your computer.

5. Use Textwrangler (free gui for editing kext files by Barebones Software; Google it you'll find it) and open the following file: /System/Library/Extensions/RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist

6. Search for "<key>Belkin - F5D 8053</key>" (without the quotation marks).

7. Change the Product and Vendor Id�s to what you wrote down earlier. Ex:

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>0x815c</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>0x050d</integer>

8. Close and save the file.

9. Open: /System/Library/Extensions/RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/Resources/Info.plist

Again, search for Belkin - F5D 8053 and change the Product and Vendor id�s, as you did above.

10. Close and save the file.

11. Open terminal and run "sudo -s" (without the quotation marks).

12. Clear out your kernel extension cache, run "kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions" (without the quotation marks).

13. Reboot your computer and insert the Belkin into a USB port, you can now run /Applications/USBWirelessUtility and configure the card. I go to Accounts in System Preferences and have the USBWirelessUtility launch at startup.

14. If you are having problems, go to your Network system preference and remove any existing Ethernet settings you may have and reboot. Now add a new Ethernet account by clicking on the plus sign in the bottom left of the Network system preference. Reboot and launch USBWirelessUtility. You should have a working wifi now. OS X thinks the wifi is actually an Ethernet account.

Enjoy, hope this gets everyone on wireless N for cheap � I got mine from Wal-Mart for $59.

Followed the above..when it comes to point 5 when i look under extentions there is no file.

can someone advise what ive done wrong. many thanks

• 2 weeks later...
here are some working drivers i managed to get from the fella in this forum http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=driver

thought i might share them for the community.

please read the instructions in the attatchement and if possible give thanks to the person that sorted it out in the forum link i gave above.

Hope this works out for you all! works for me on leopard.

Driver location update. For the famous, notorious or infamous Belkin F5D8053 the Mac OSX drivers from ralink can be downloaded here:

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3

Good Luck

What version of the F5d-8053 did you guys get? I'm running into the same problem and I think it may be due to the newer versions (mine says V.6) using a Realtek chipset instead of the ralink ones.

When I click on About Mac -> More Info this is the info I get:

RTL8191s WLAN Adapter

Product ID: 0x815f

Vendor ID: 0x050d

Manufacturer: Manufacturer Realtek

ditto... It is recognized but the blue light does not flash and it does not see any networks.

any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi did anyone experienced wifi disconnection on SL (10.6.1) with F5D8053?

I've already using the latest driver from ralink itself but the connection will disconnect every now and then.On Leopard is alright but SL is nightmare

Same problem here.

Freshly built rig (10.6.0):

Gigabyte G31M-ES2L (Q9400)

ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 4870

Belkin wireless-N USB Dongle (F5D8053)

Everything's working great except the wireless will drop out after a while of inactivity. The only way to re establish connection is to unplug / replug the usb dongle.

Same problem here.

Freshly built rig (10.6.0):

Gigabyte G31M-ES2L (Q9400)

ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 4870

Belkin wireless-N USB Dongle (F5D8053)

Everything's working great except the wireless will drop out after a while of inactivity. The only way to re establish connection is to unplug / replug the usb dongle.

FYI: everything was solved when I followed nakatomy's advice and "downgraded" from the latest 10.6 drivers available from ralinktech.com to the older 10.5 drivers he linked to.

I have iPC 10.5.6 installed and functional on my PC. Everything is working perfectly except my Belkin F5D8053v6 USB wireless adapter recently purchased at bestbuy. I have tried many times and multiple techniques trying to get this to work without success. I have tried the drivers on the iPC DVD RT2870, as well as the most up to date from the vendor, as well as the links in this forum to the older set of drivers. Without success, I then attempted manually editing the ktext files by placing my ProductID 0x815f and Vendor ID 0x050d also without success. I am at a point where I am so close to getting this thing off the ground and I am excited about being able to have a fully functioning Mac since this would be my first one with OSX. I didn't know if someone could help me out here because I am new to the Mac OS. I have followed the step-by-step instructions in this forum and nothing seems to work. The device is being recognized in the hardware profile but it is listed under the USB devices instead of the network devices, and does not show up in my network configuration.

I have iPC 10.5.6 installed and functional on my PC. Everything is working perfectly except my Belkin F5D8053v6 USB wireless adapter recently purchased at bestbuy. I have tried many times and multiple techniques trying to get this to work without success. I have tried the drivers on the iPC DVD RT2870, as well as the most up to date from the vendor, as well as the links in this forum to the older set of drivers. Without success, I then attempted manually editing the ktext files by placing my ProductID 0x815f and Vendor ID 0x050d also without success. I am at a point where I am so close to getting this thing off the ground and I am excited about being able to have a fully functioning Mac since this would be my first one with OSX. I didn't know if someone could help me out here because I am new to the Mac OS. I have followed the step-by-step instructions in this forum and nothing seems to work. The device is being recognized in the hardware profile but it is listed under the USB devices instead of the network devices, and does not show up in my network configuration.

I used my wired ethernet and downloaded a bunch of updates from Mac. I made sure not to do the 10.5.8 upgrade since I didn't know how it would affect an iPC installation. After doing this I attempted to reinstall the RT2870 drivers for 10.5 from this file: RTUSB D2870-1.3.0.0 UI-1.7.1.0...3_10.dmg and I now have the USB Ethernet (en1) displaying as an available adapter in the Network setup. However, It is telling me the status is Cable Unplugged, when the USB adapter is plugged in. I have also tried unplugging the card and plugging back in without any luck. Also, the blue link light on the adapter does not light up now, or at any point during the system boot process. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Jon

• 1 month later...
I used my wired ethernet and downloaded a bunch of updates from Mac. I made sure not to do the 10.5.8 upgrade since I didn't know how it would affect an iPC installation. After doing this I attempted to reinstall the RT2870 drivers for 10.5 from this file: RTUSB D2870-1.3.0.0 UI-1.7.1.0...3_10.dmg and I now have the USB Ethernet (en1) displaying as an available adapter in the Network setup. However, It is telling me the status is Cable Unplugged, when the USB adapter is plugged in. I have also tried unplugging the card and plugging back in without any luck. Also, the blue link light on the adapter does not light up now, or at any point during the system boot process. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Jon

hi, i have the same model as you F5D 8053V6 and have also tried everything to get this working and have just this morning done it! i managed to get the right drivers from the original starter of this thread. i made sure that i had uninstalled all the previous drivers i had tried, repaired permissions and rebooted, then i just installed the drivers given to me and after another reboot it worked perfectly. if you'd like to try them (im pretty sure they'l work for you too) email me at Glen.Mcdouall@gmail.com or email the main boss man with your SID and VID and osx version number ie (10.5.8) his email is : totallybonkers_@hotmail.com he was very helpful.

hope this helps your situation

• 4 months later...