Bootcamp and Windows XP 64

macmaniac

9 posts in this topic

Apple's website indicates that bootcamp works with 32 bit Windows.

Where I work is upgrading a key app that requires XP 64. There is money I can use to buy a new workstation. I'd love to buy a Powermac. But bootcamp MUST run XP 64 for this to fly.

My guess is I'm stuck buying an HP or Dell workstation.....

If you don't have good news for me, at least recommend a decent (non-Apple) quad xeon workstation for me....

apparently the mac pros released this year come with x64 drivers, so as long as you're going for one of those, you're fine.

by the way, a powermac is a PowerPC based pro mac. you dont want one of those, cos you cant run windows on it at all (well, maybe thru very slow cpu emulation...)

Turning into more of a blog, than anything...

Anyway, Apple hardware RAID only works with OS X. Not bootcamp or anything else. Period. Just a little heads up.

Ordering the above sans RAID.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the system arrived a few days ago. We didn't even get the Apple 20" display out of the box before it got stolen.

:(

At least they didn't steal the Mac Pro.

So we just installed today. XP64 and bootcamp seem to be working normally. I had to manually install intel ethernet drivers, and manually install nVidia quadrofx 5600 drivers. USB/firewire seem to be working. Sound is not, ATM. But I don't need sound. Still might get sound working too, if I get around to it.