Missing hard drive space (60 gigs...)

PlayingKarrde

13 posts in this topic

I created a new partition on my second disk for OSX and installed Leopard. However, now the other partition isn't viewable anywhere. In disk management it's shown as a healthy partition but with no drive letter. The only thing I can do when right clicking is delete...

There's a lot of space there and there are a lot of files on there I don't really want to lose. Can anyone help me recover my partition?

Thanks in advance

I have Macdrive already and can see the HFS partition fine. The problem is the partition that wasn't formatted when I put on OSX. It was NTFS before. Now... I don't know.

So, if I understand this correctly, you can see a partition but it isn't formatted? If so, you can just format it using HFS+ during the installation of OSX. As long as you don't repartition (that will wipe out all the data!) the drive, you'll be OK.

Sorry I should have explained a bit better.I already have OSX installed. That's all fine (well its not, I screwed up the gfx drivers but thats a separate issue). The problem is is that I split an existing hard drive (that had data on it) into two, one NTFS and on HFS. I installed OSX on the HFS one. However, the other partition has gone AWOL. I can't view the partition as a drive in Windows or OSX. In computer management I can see the partition but it doesnt have a drive letter and the only thing I can do with it is delete it.That partition only contains TV shows and some games, but it's about 60 gigs worth of it and I would prefer not to lose it if I can help it. If all is lost though I can live with it. I just want to see if I can save it first.I should also mention it seems to have no file system applied. Does this mean its a goner?

Hey man,

I had a similar problem but without the partitioning {censored} bit. I installed leopard on a sata 200gig HDD while my other 250gig disk had win xp. After install i noticed that i had 58gigs missing on the HFS (leopard) disk. I'm not sure how your rig is set up and what specs but it sounds like you didn't configure ur bios options correctly (i'm assuming you have a sata HDD - prob a large one ... 300gig or maybe 500?)

If my guess is right and u do have sata drive and didn't install leopard with the correct bios configurations, u need to enable AHCI mode in ur bios. Depending on ur motherboard, and bios I can't really help u with that. But yeah, I got my 58gigs back after i fixed my bios settings and reinstalled Kalyway - it took like 10mins with those correct settings to install compared with 90mins when i had them on the wrong settings.

One word of warning: since ur vista is already installed, changing to AHCI may give u BSOD when booting into vista.

Good luck anyways

Thanks for the info yulleh. I do have a SATA drive and a large one, but OSX isn't installed on that one. It's installed on (i think) a 120gig IDE drive running on the primary channel. I'll try out messing around with AHCI though since I do remember either turning it off or on during installation at some point.

I'll report my findings.