Cannot see drive during installation

silverpsark

6 posts in this topic

Hi, i'm trying to install Leopard-10.5.2-AMD-EFI on my HP dv6701ca, and I keep running into the problem where I have to go into the disk utility and format the desired partition and make it mac ready. The problem is that I cannot see any drives at all in the disk utility. I read all around and I did partition the drive in windows and formated to Fat32 but no dice. I'm new to this whole Hackintosh thing so please bare with me. Could anyone point me into the right direction and let me know what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.

I am also having this problem, in the proccess of actually formatting the drive, I lost my whole Vista partition, now I have nothing. So I'm hoping to do an install of Mac on the entire HD and create a section for vista later. But I am having this problem with disk utility, no HD will appear. I have a Western Digital 7200RPM SATA drive. I am currently fiddling with the BIOS and ACPI settings to pinpoint the problem hopefully.

EDIT: I'm suspecting this might be due to the fact that my HD was plugged into SATA port 3. The kernel doesn't support ports 3 and 4 apparently. Testing now. If that doesn't work, I'll try port 0 or 1.

EDIT2: Port 2 did not work, testing port 1, if that fails I'm going to bed; If this does not work hopefully someone will find a solution. ^_^

EDIT3 Success! Plugging the HD into SATA port 1 worked completely, now proceeding with installation. Hopefully no more problems come to haunt me.

To conclude, I'm assuming your HP is a laptop. How you would achieve something similar to what I've done I would have no idea. It's possible that it has space for 2 HD's and yours is plugged into the second port. But Honestly who knows :D not me for sure. Another point to consider would be that you have an incompatible PATA drive. PATA (IDE) tends to have a lesser success outcome then a standard SATA drive. From what I can gather, you may be able to switch to a different mode in your BIOS settings, like ATAPI or similar. I think your best bet would be to scope out some other cases of IDE incompatibility if you have an IDE drive. Best of luck ;)

try unmount the partitions and then mount them again, works for me

if you guys are installing on hp amd laptops, i am sorry to disappoint you, it is very tricky very and definately not worth it.

try unmount the partitions and then mount them again, works for me

if you guys are installing on hp amd laptops, i am sorry to disappoint you, it is very tricky very and definately not worth it.

You can't mount/unmount what isn't there.