Help trying to install Kalyway or Iatkos on dell inspiron 1525

chevy2410

44 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Just bought a Dell Inspiron 1525 notebook and I've been trying to install Kalyway 10.5.1 and Iatkos v.1.0r2 and I'm not having any luck. First of all I've had no issues installing either of these distros on my destop (see sig) and a buddies intel 945 system. Now it seems a bit difficult to install on a notebook especially a dell.

When I put in the Kalyway disc I'm getting Ebios read errors. Like the drive just can't read the sectors on the disc. I was able to get it go the install part and choose the stuff I needed and I was able to use disk util and erase and partition the drive and then start the install. Now it gets to about 11 mins left and just sits there. No activity. What's going on here?

Now with Iatkos I can boot up no problem and do the disk util thing and go customize my install and then it installs. No issues. It's when I reboot and take the disc out, I get the blinking cursor in the top left corner. So that mean it hasn't been flagged to boot. I put in my Gparted live disc and I find out that indeed it has been set to boot. So what's going here? I've tried install with Iatkos close to a dozens time with different setting and I get the same thing each time, blinking cursor. Is there something I'm missing? Help.

Chevy

Hi all,

Just bought a Dell Inspiron 1525 notebook and I've been trying to install Kalyway 10.5.1 and Iatkos v.1.0r2 and I'm not having any luck. First of all I've had no issues installing either of these distros on my destop (see sig) and a buddies intel 945 system. Now it seems a bit difficult to install on a notebook especially a dell.

When I put in the Kalyway disc I'm getting Ebios read errors. Like the drive just can't read the sectors on the disc. I was able to get it go the install part and choose the stuff I needed and I was able to use disk util and erase and partition the drive and then start the install. Now it gets to about 11 mins left and just sits there. No activity. What's going on here?

Now with Iatkos I can boot up no problem and do the disk util thing and go customize my install and then it installs. No issues. It's when I reboot and take the disc out, I get the blinking cursor in the top left corner. So that mean it hasn't been flagged to boot. I put in my Gparted live disc and I find out that indeed it has been set to boot. So what's going here? I've tried install with Iatkos close to a dozens time with different setting and I get the same thing each time, blinking cursor. Is there something I'm missing? Help.

Chevy

I think this may help I saw some reponce from 1525 owners in there.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...l=1525&st=0

Thanks a lot. I did see that guide and tried to follow it, but it doesn't seem to work. After the install it asks to for a reboot, I do and it will boot the EFI bootloader and then you see the apple screen and then for a second you see a blue screen and then the LCD screen goes black and never goes any further. I'm pretty much ready to give up and return it.

Chevy

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Rumproast,

I am almost have it working on my Dell Inspiron 1525. I'll boil down where I am at and how I got here. First of all its not working 100%...yet. Right after the grey mac screen comes up there is a flash of blue then it blanks out. If I wait about 8 minutes then move the track pad

the screen comes out of sleep mode and I can see my desktop. The resolution is correct, the built-in wifi works off the bat and the battery meter is working. Now the sad part. if it goes back to sleep it doesn't come back. I know that there is a fix for that here in the forums and I have to search for it. OK so now here is what I did to get here:

Follow the standard settings for the Inspiron BIOS: ACHI Mode ON , Flash Mode off.

Boot using the iAtkos r2 burned to DVD.

Format your drive with HFS+ (Journaled) Give it a name like OSX but NO spaces in the name.

(Make sure that your hard drive is set up for Master Boot Record)

Customize your install with these options:

-- Main System

-- Bootloader = Darwin EFI

-- Drivers

--- VGA = Intel GMA X3100 (Only select the one(s) appropriate to you)

--- Network = Realtek 8139 (Again select the network drivers appropriate to you)

When you reboot it should come up to the Apple Grey Loading screen, then you'll see a flash of blue and then the screen blanks out. Give it about 8 minutes then hit the space bar.

You should see the desktop come up. .

Now... here is the diagnostic part. If after you install and you get the dreaded blinking line

don't get discouraged. Reboot with the Gparted CD. Check to make sure that drive has the boot flag set. If its NOT then set it. If the boot flag was ALREAY set, deselect it then save changes and reboot with the Gparted CD and change the flag BACK to Boot.

This is what happened to my setup and when I toggled the Boot Flag I was able to boot into OSX. Please keep in mind that I am only running OSX. I am not trying to dual boot.

Hope that was of help to you!

- Juanski

Thank you so much juanski, i really was thinking it had to do with bios settings. I am using a partition, but im just ready to do anything, and install a partition later. Ill backup my important files then try your things. I think when i switched from having it in ata to ahci, my partitions didnt show up, i dont even think my harddrive did, but the other problem could be that my partitions name has spaces in it lol. I named it "Mac OSx86"

ill rename, and reinstall one more time, then im going balls out and backing up and erasing stupid vista :)

ill edit with my updates!

BTW my comptuer stats are

Core2duo 2.0ghz 2m

4 gigs 667mhz ram

160 5400rpm drive

inspiron 1525

some wireless intel N card, i dont know if that would affect it, so ill leave all network drivers off

i have iatkos r2 and r3 but i also i have the r3+badbios patch.

your just using stock r2 that u downloaded? no edits?

EDIT/UPDATE: well i decided to give r3 and vista/leopard partition one last chance. I am almost 100% positive it was because my partition was named "mac osx86" it had a space -_- but with r3 the settings i used were

-- Main System

-- Bootloader = Darwin EFI

-- Patches

--- Kernals

---- NFORCE NO-HPET SSE3 Kernal

-- Drivers

--- VGA = Intel GMA X3100

for bios, i had i think everything defualt, except it was on ata instead of ahci, flash module thing disabled, and i think i had speedstep enabled. I hope this helps someone because i posted the stuff i was looking for, but Juanski really helped me. Thanks a Ton

Rumproast,

Thanks for updating us on your progress. Thats so cool that you are up and running. I was about to give up myself and send back my Inspiron but I said , ok I will give this one more try!

I just got sound working last night too. The only thing I still have left to do is to get the Display to work reliably. I have the sleep screen patch so I have to wait like 2 minutes after it boots before the display is recognized. I can't change resolutions either because it will just go dark. But WiFi works out of the box.

I was noticing by your post that your Inspiron 1525, doesn't have the Intel GMA X3100 graphics chipset? I'll post my specs later but I thought that all 1525 were the "same" spec wise.

Anyway congrats to you, and a Big thank you to Mac Girl and all the guys at UpHuck for putting all this together.

- Juan

Ohhh no, i do have the gma x3100, i forgot to add that in :|!

But yes, i had to install some patches, and i couldnt connect to internet, i have the Intel Wifi Link 4965N, and i dont know if the ethernet port worked, because i realized after taht it was shut off in my bios, go figure

It would not recognize my usb stick, but maybe it is just old. Do i have to wait like 11 minutes everytime i boot up after the blue screen then black? That really annoys me, but it might be just a common X3100 problem. I had problems with wifi (no fixes yet for mine), when i cilcked sleep it wouldnt wake up (im sure common problem, i have to apply a patch probably), the usb was weird, might be due to an old stick, Sound (ill be able to fix, tuts everywhere), but i am mainly concerned about the booting, if i only ahve to wait 2 minutes, thats fine, but what do you do on boot up juanski?

I would love to work with you Juanski, your the only person who seems to have the same computer as me, and also trying to get it working, and the only one who has been responding to my posts lol

Post any patches you think might be very helpful to install first!

Hi ya!

Now we are three persons with the same laptop. I´m gonna try to install Leopard on my 1525 this weekend. I tried yesterday, but i hadn´t enough time. Got the hfs+ error, got the black screen with the cursor...got this two fixed, but i couldn´t wake up my computer after the blue-then-black screen. (D´oh!). I started to think that, well, maybe...Vista was not as bad as I thought at first... :whistle:

But this weekend, i´m pretty sure i´m going to enter in Leopard.

hey guys i have a 1525 i tried iatkos r2

i got a blue screen and black out like what u guys said, but i was impatient and assumed it was a bust

guess ill try the jas leopard when its released

I get the blue-then-black screen, wait for 11 minutes and 20 seconds, hit the space bar...and then wakes up. This is the exact time. I´ll continue telling you my progress. The cam and bt are working ok. Wireless is not working at all,neither the card reader. Any suggestion?. Tomorrow, i´ll try to install an Asus wifi USB...maybe...

Another thing...Do I have to wait this 11 minutes and 20 seconds every time I start the computer? or there is a method to avoid this?

Ok, well, Have installed almost everything i wanted. I had a crash, i don´t know why, but i had to reinstall again (Kernel Panic, couldn´t start os). Only issues, for now, are card Reader and Sound. Plz, Juanski, can u tell me how did you fixed the sound?. Something like a tutorial, 1st: plug the computer, 2nd: start it... :( And for the card reader, if anyone knows anything...I haven´t found anything.See ya.Iseany, the hardware is quite similar, but there are some pieces that are not the same. So, you have problemas with them. But now, my inspiron is a 90/100 perfect MacPro.

Well, I install two kext that seems to be the appropiated ones, delete appleazaliaaudio.kext...and get a kernel Panic when I reboot. :censored2: I can´t find the file called appleazalia.kext, they say i have to delete to get my sound work.

Can someone tell me how to make my sound work?. Juanski?, plz?

At Last!. My Sound Works. But now, I can´t reboot and shutdown normally: I have to push the button. I´m trying to find a solution, but anyway, it´s a nice bargain: sound vs have-to reboot manually.

Sooooo hapyyyy

Howto:

Download the attached package

Unzip

drag the sigmatel dump (txt file), onto the frog (applehdapatcher).

Move Applehda.kext to your extensions route (or maybe you have to do this before?. I can´t remember the order, but just try. If it doesn´t work, try changing the order)

Repair your permissions with the disk utility.

Reboot.

use Spotlight to find the file "Queen-We are the champions.mp3" in your computer.

Double click on it

Sing it ´til your neighbours come to your door and ask you to "enjoy that fantastic song with you".

Last three are optional :)

Enjoy!

9228.zip

stitch 1981, is there anyway you can send me a link to the version iatkos your using? and, when you install it, does it work like a normal mac, for example, when you start up, do you have to wait 11 minutes for it to get out of sleep mode or does it work right off the bat? thanks in advance.

I´m using Iatkos R2. When booting, i don´t have to wait 11 minutes. When you enter for the first time to the system, go to Preferences- Expose/spaces, and fix a hot corner to sleep the screen (last option). So, when you boot the system, only have to drag the mouse to that corner, and you got it. Just 20 seconds.

It´s a semi-fix, but more or less works. I hope it´ll be fixed soon, There´s several people in the forum working on it. Just check, try... and if it works, tell us! :P

Bat meter- I haven´t fixed yet, because there´s no "totally secure", method; i´ve read something in the forum, but sometimes works, and sometimes crashes. So, I´m waiting.

Y have installed the 10.5.2 update package, you can find it somewhere in this forum, and some stuff from another package i found here.

All the stuff in the package I´ve uploaded is not mine: I´ve founded it around here too, so thanks to all that people working on this! :P