vmware Fusion VS Parallels

7 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I am going to be getting a mac soon and want to run windows on it. I just cannot work out which product is better

Vmware Fusion or Paralles.

I can find any head to head comparrisons.

Anyone able to help???

Thanks

Dominic

Google "VMWare vs ?" or "VMWare vs Parallels" I found more than twenty! The first 4 gave VERY GOOD comparisons, without wanting to spoil it most say that VMWare Fusion id the way to go!

SticMAN

Hi All,

I am going to be getting a mac soon and want to run windows on it. I just cannot work out which product is better

Vmware Fusion or Paralles.

I can find any head to head comparrisons.

Anyone able to help???

Thanks

Dominic

• 2 weeks later...
Google "VMWare vs ?" or "VMWare vs Parallels" I found more than twenty! The first 4 gave VERY GOOD comparisons, without wanting to spoil it most say that VMWare Fusion id the way to go!

SticMAN

That's very helpful and good to know... I was amazed how many hits I got just for "parallels" with the limiter site:insanelymac.com ... many thousands! I'd heard that there was a shift in tides and that many reviewers/users felt that recent versions of Parallels didn't match up to VMWare, but wasn't sure how current that info was.

Well, I'll just go with VMWare... I have enough other stuff to research! (Hopefully I won't regret being lazy about this). :)

If you want to run windows on a mac Bootcamp is definitely the way to go as it runs completely natively & can run ANY windows program (this is extreamly usefull when running high-end games) :D . Only one drawback, reboot is required every time you want to run a windows program :P .

The best soultion for you depends on what programs you wish to run. Have you looked at Crossover, its capable of running many windows programs without the need for windows, check the crossover compatiblity list to see if the application you need to run is supported ;) .

Crossover is basicly a commercial version of Wine which is an open source project made for running windows programs on unix, if you want to know more about Wine click here. but "free Wine" does not run very well on Mac OS X, however Crossover runs very nicely & there's a free trial on Codeweavers website so why not give it a try?

Hope this helps :)

Mr.G

If you want to run windows on a mac Bootcamp is definitely the way to go as it runs completely natively & can run ANY windows program (this is extreamly usefull when running high-end games) :D . Only one drawback, reboot is required every time you want to run a windows program :( .
I'll use Bootcamp where necessary. I'd just like to be able to copy/paste between applications running in Windows and OS X, etc
The best soultion for you depends on what programs you wish to run. Have you looked at Crossover, its capable of running many windows programs without the need for windows, check the crossover compatiblity list to see if the application you need to run is supported ;) .
Yes, I've heard quite a bit about both Crossover and Wine. I was planning to try Crossover and use it, where possible. Unfortunately some of the apps I want to run (Windows) are just obscure enough I wouldn't expect to (and don't) see them in the compatibility list. If it works for me with most of the apps and handles most of my needs, I may never need to really bother much with running VMWare or Parallels... or BootCamp, for that matter. Cheers for your feedback, Mr G.