10.4.9 Questions

ring_wraith

8 posts in this topic

Hey,

I finally got sick of {censored}-dows and decided to give OSX a shot before I headed the *nix way. So I *obtained* the uphuck_10.4.9_v1.4i_r2 DVD, based on what I read in the wiki.

However, a few questions have aroused as I browsed through the forums. Here they are:

1. Is 10.4.9 just an upgrade? Do I have to have 10.4.8 installed or is the Image file that I downloaded enough?
  2. Are there any known compatibility issues? [config below] I looked up the HCL, but I'm not sure if I used the correct one as my mobo [or hardly anything else for that matter] are listed.
  3. Is OSX laggy when installed this way?
  4. Can I dual boot with XP? I still need it to play games and stuff. There is no guide on the wiki for this, all the guides are for dual-booting Vista/OSX

My config is:

• Intel C2D E6550
  • MSI P6N series mobo
  • 1GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM
  • nVidia 8600Gt
  • Seagate 160Gb SATA HDD
  • LG GSA H51N DVD writer
  • Scanner : Canoscan D646u
  • Samsung 740N LCD Display

Waiting for some replies so I can get cracking at the installation!

• 3 weeks later...

1)what size is the image you have downloaded?if it's more 1,5 gb then it's susrely not an update.

2)you should install first

3)what do you mean by "this way"?

4)yes you can dual-boot xp,vista,whatever,just copy chain0 from the osx dvd to your root xp partition and edit boot.ini like this:

let's say this is your boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

this how it should look like after edit:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
c:\chain0="Mac"

this must be done while in windows

Try JaS 10.4.8 Intel/AMD disc and see if it works. Then upgrade to subsequent versions after you have that installed using the guides on this forum. JaS has the best hardware compatibility, uphuck has a lot of changes that were made to make the system faster but at compatibility's expense.